DCI WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP PRELIMS - 8/11/16

Agreed but judges only focus on Cadets weakness (GE), not there ability to play horns, drums and March beautifully. Not the judges favorite corps for many reasons.

No don't succumb to that thinking.

The Cadets are getting full credit. A consequence of being under the gun on show design all season is that in the end, your show is perhaps technically less rehearsed than the rest. It's also not fair to the Cadets to say that they don't get credit because others are getting credit. This kind of competition doesn't have winners and losers in the classic sense of zero sum competition. There are winners (great shows, performed well), and then there are big winners (better shows, performed as well or better).

Your Cadets are great... the placement is an outcome of late preparation on the design, which also influences performance prep.

Also, don't let this short a full appreciation of others... that's just bitterness.

• Like 6

The Cadets are getting full credit. A consequence of being under the gun on show design all season is that in the end, your show is perhaps technically less rehearsed than the rest. It's also not fair to the Cadets to say that they don't get credit because others are getting credit. This kind of competition doesn't have winners and losers in the classic sense of zero sum competition. There are winners (great shows, performed well), and then there are big winners (better shows, performed as well or better).

Your Cadets are great... the placement is an outcome of late preparation on the design, which also influences performance prep.

Also, don't let this short a full appreciation of others... that's just bitterness.

Cadets are doing well, up against an incredible Top 5 this season: SCV, Crown, BD, Bluecoats are incredible: coming in less than a point behind that pack = zero shame/can't complain a ton

• Like 2

100% agree. I think some Cadets fans are simply assuming that the corps is always going to score in the upper echelons in music. When there's been so many rewrites (even visual rewrites are going to affect musical performance), it can be expected that the music performance will suffer to some extent.

The Cadets are still elite in the musical department (the writing is especially good), but I don't find it hard to believe that 3-4 corps are performing their shows better than them solely because those shows have not experienced the crazy number of rewrites the Cadets have

Yeah Pitts was better than the past, but they desperately need someone who can speak about visual/guard from a knowledgeable background of design/execution/art.

If we didn't already know that they need some younger people to be involved, Rondo kept reminding us by bringing up how old they are at least, what, five times?

Keep him in for a bit of legacy connection (not Delucia) but have the lead team be fresh faces who can better relate to what is happening today.

I totally agree. This is such a major piece of show designs and adjudication, and I always feel I gain absolutely 0 insight from the cinecasts. All of the "content" commentary is about brass and percussion.

I do think they will win. But a step above? No, and "very clearly" absolutely not.

I love their show. It's got a fun-factor we haven't seen in a long, long time. But when you set aside GE and look purely at performer content, it's not "a step above" at all. They aren't playing what Devils and Crown are playing, and they don't have anywhere near the simultaneous responsibilities Devils and Crown have. They also have the exact same issue Crown had when in the years prior to 2013...they performed their dancing and stunts impeccably, but when it came to traditional marching, they were incredibly dirty. Bluecoats are in that same boat.

As I've said before, I will have absolutely no problem if they win. It's a fantastic show. But let's not get carried away trying to turn it into something it's not.

I agree; I think it's 100% logical to maybe say "this Championship is Bluecoats' to lose," but I think it's possible BD could sneak up and win if Coats don't bring it Friday or Saturday.

And others are right: without full recaps it's really hard to get a read on what's up

I agree with the Cadets placement. They play the hell out of the show and they are great. Last night was my first time seeing the show and I do think that the show concept is not helping them. They are not the only corps in that suffers from a concept that does not translate well. IMO

100% agree. I think some Cadets fans are simply assuming that the corps is always going to score in the upper echelons in music. When there's been so many rewrites (even visual rewrites are going to affect musical performance), it can be expected that the music performance will suffer to some extent.

The Cadets are still elite in the musical department (the writing is especially good), but I don't find it hard to believe that 3-4 corps are performing their shows better than them solely because those shows have not experienced the crazy number of rewrites the Cadets have

Plus, so much of the good work they are doing in brass and music ensemble was wasted last night due to (continued) overuse of synth, particularly on the low end. It's been that way live all summer, and it was absolutely horrid last night in the theater. They were by no means the only ones guilty of this (I'm looking at you, Madison Scouts and Boston Crusaders), but you'd think after several years of it they'd figure it out. You know who didn't have synth/sub issues? Cavies, SCV, Crown, Devils, or Bluecoats.

What captions/sub-captions are holding Vanguard back from being closer to 3rd? Is it Visual/GE?feet? what?

according to recaps Visual is their lowest overall Caption at 5th: that certainly doesn't help. They were only .2 behind BD in Music, and .2 behind Crown in GE

Neat. Have they told the filming crew this so they can do a close up? Cause that seems to be the sort of thing they'd want eyes on and yet...the fact that it's ASL is something the crew would miss. '

Do you know if they consulted with a deaf person to develop it? There's a number of talented deaf dancers out there who could have helped ensure clarity. If it's something a hearing staff member 'learned from a book' I shudder to think what sort of inaccuracies might be there. True story: a friend of mine went to her nephew's kindergarten Christmas show at school. The third grade class did a 'sign language song' their teacher taught them "from a book." Instead of signing "my triangle" they signed "my [female anatomy that is sometimes referred to by a feline euphemism]" So yeah, I hope Troop has it right!

Again, I'll need to watch closely tonight. The 1988 Suncoast Sound incorporated a bit but the video only captures a snippet and, as you say, the dance element interferes with comprehension a bit.

LOL/cringe, yeah, let's hope they have it right. I don't know who they consulted, but I'm reasonably confident they didn't pick it up out of a book. The video crew during prelims did a pretty decent job picking up the various "pods" of performers as they passed the signing/dance among themselves. It's been hard to miss during all the webcasts this year because it's the very first movement of the show.

Elsewhere in the show, as Rondinaro mentioned during the theatercast, there are nods to DCI designer greats. The piano waltz that concludes the "rage and remembrance" segment is an allusion to the pianist/friend of Corigliano who was lost to AIDS and was the inspiration for Symphony No. 1. Off the field, Troop is selling its Hero flags and show banners, and donating a share of the proceeds to charities related to the themes in the show.

There's more to this show than the uniforms.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman

I don't know if this is how it is right now... but there is the classic slotting perspective that at the end of the season, when everything is locked in and meaningful changes are done... the difference between a 1 point or .1 point spread becomes irrelevant to any possible change in placement. That is to say that shows A, B, and C will always be judged in the same slotted order, but merely with slight changes in the margins of numbers management and spread.

The theory goes like this:

BD may push a higher number (in GE, for example), but the Bluecoats will and must be slotted above them because the judges conclude so. The consequence is that the margin of win becomes smaller, but the chances of change in placement haven't and won't change.

This is what people are referring to when they say Bluecoats are likely (if not certain) to win on Saturday.

Also, beating the GE winner will require the number 2 in GE to nearly sweep all remaining captions... that is a super tall order. So long as this remains competitive in captions between 3 or 4 corps... the GE winner is the winner... especially if they also win at least 1 other caption.

This isn't perfectly true... but it's pretty near perfect.