DCI WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP PRELIMS - 8/11/16

The Academy actually "restaged" the heart design for the Indy shows. Seriously, some confusion was expressed by fans stating the design used in previous shows appeared to make the heart look more like a "Tomato". The photo of the restaging above makes the heart much more distinguishable. LOVE IT.

BRIDGEMEN IS ON A GRAVESTONE HAHAHA

In this respect (putting names of defunct corps on gravestones), Academy is picking up an idea Carolina Gold brought to DCA in 2014:

131_zpsc8032a67.jpg

Yeah, they just have no idea. Maybe I don't either, though. But I think the very best high school marching bands--which I doubt these kids are in, anyway--would be scoring about 70 in DCI (if they weren't penalized for having woodwinds or being under time--although the best bands often exceed 10 minutes).

When I encounter such ignorance in a situation where I feel comfortable responding, I just try to ask some friendly questions to gently guide people to a little more understanding.

Ahhhh....the best laid plans of mice and men...

Edited by HornTeacher

The wink from the Bluecoats soloist was awesome! Totally trumpet cocky!

I so want a screen cap of that! Or a GIF I can download. (Can't figure out how to do that from the ones posted earlier here)

Edited by MingoLeger

Watched the show in a theater in Phoenix. Quite a few HS students, but they were mostly polite and acted appropriately. Only issue was during the intermission, those around us sat in the aisle together (doing their homework-school is in session), which made it difficult to get back to our seats.

As you would expect, loudest reaction was for Academy, .... every time Academy was even mentioned. Good responses for Cavies, SCV, BD and Crown. Much louder response to the BC.

Saw the show with another couple, who like us are on the wrong side of 65, but who had never seen a drum corps show before. Often they had jaw-dropping expressions. They could not figure out how the MMs could do all those things ... at the same time. It was my wife's first time seeing Crown, and she liked the show a lot and could follow it completely.

Post-2004, I would list Blue Devils shows in this order of preference, from my most favored to least:

2006 "The Godfather, Part Blue"

I'm also a big fan of The Godfather. I thought it should have won, but the crowd got behind Cavaliers at Madison, and that was that.

An inexplicable Edmund Fitzgerald reference, perhaps? That boat sank for our sins, you know.

Fellas it's been nice to know ya

• Like 1

What is the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

It's a chalice, right?

• Like 1

I planned to write this last night but I was too tired. Drum corps from 9 AM (9:17 to be exact) until 11:30 PM is exhausting.

Some overall observations:

If you are in Indy and missed any Open Class corps, or any World Class corps, you missed something great.

Open class is a force to be reckoned with, at least in my humble opinion.

Guardians naysayers (look back on DCP posts a few years back), you'd better serve yourself to a heaping helping of crow.

Not sure BDB should have scored as high as they did, especially in regards to Colts, but if they were over scored, we'll see a different score today.

I was pleasantly surprised with Madison, but thought they got as much out of their show as they could, and at times confused volume with power. I thought BAC was excellent, a bit nervous, but the middle of the show was stronger in Allentown. I thought they were better than Madison, perhaps my bias, but I have great hopes for them tonight.

Academy belongs in finals. Crossmen were a bit off. I do not think the scores will be as close tonight.

I thought Cavies should have placed at least 5th, but was heartened by the warm response Cadets received. Speaking of crowd response, Blue a Devils haters, Carolina Crown won in 2013, Bluecoats will probably win tomorrow night. Bad does not squash all their competition and for the past three years have had audience friendly shows. You don't have to sit with your arms crossed with an angry look on your face. Interestingly, some who just sat were younger people, so it's not an old school only attitude.

• Like 1