DCI WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP PRELIMS - 8/11/16

With three corps scoring within LESS than a point of each other, it's "clear?"

'Coats won a prelim, but It sure doesn't seem clear to the judges that they are a "step" above. Judges seem to find they are a tiny fraction above.

It may be true that Bluecoats will eventually win, but this isn't a run away by any stretch of the imagination.

It was clear to me LOL

Just saw the full recaps from last night. Wow, BD and Crown both got nailed in music (the disperity and staggering amongst the judges in their individual scores was incredible), while the Bluecoats we're pretty level across the board in all captions. The bottom line - BD and Crown have plenty room to grow tonight. I still think its going to be tough to beat the Bluecoats but I wouldn't get too excited about the spread, I predict tonight all three corps will be within .5 of each other.

OR you were exposed to judging bias this season that's masked by the "no recap" policy. I have lots of questions about the music caption numbers.
  • Like 1

No one is beating Coats

It was very clear in person they are a step above

I do think they will win. But a step above? No, and "very clearly" absolutely not.

I love their show. It's got a fun-factor we haven't seen in a long, long time. But when you set aside GE and look purely at performer content, it's not "a step above" at all. They aren't playing what Devils and Crown are playing, and they don't have anywhere near the simultaneous responsibilities Devils and Crown have. They also have the exact same issue Crown had when in the years prior to 2013...they performed their dancing and stunts impeccably, but when it came to traditional marching, they were incredibly dirty. Bluecoats are in that same boat.

As I've said before, I will have absolutely no problem if they win. It's a fantastic show. But let's not get carried away trying to turn it into something it's not.

• Like 1

George - I can understand why people that haven't seen the show live think the way they do. All I can say is that this show is a beast when you are sitting in front of that hornline.

Live really does make a huge difference.

Also, imagine just listening to the show and not knowing/seeing any of the visuals. I think the visual candy is really what pushes this into the next category, and without the visual this would be a 3rd - 5th place show.

It was clear to me LOL

What captions/sub-captions are holding Vanguard back from being closer to 3rd? Is it Visual/GE?feet? what?

I don't know from sub-captions, but after listening to SCV live on Monday, their horn sound is a little more "fuzzy" than the Crown, Coats or Cadets (I haven't seen BD live, so the are excluded). I heard it on TV and thought maybe it was the way the mics picked things up, but I hear that fuzziness live as well, mostly from exactly the center of the field. I have no idea why.

SCV also has a little more "down time" than some others, maybe the judges call that "transitions."

Believe me I'm not being critical of SCV, I love their show. I'm just trying to be analytical the way I think the judges might be. I'm not nearly qualified to split hairs in adjudicating these top corps at the highest level.

• Like 2

Visual, Brass and Color Guard.

I don't know from sub-captions, but after listening to SCV live on Monday, their horn sound is a little more "fuzzy" than the Crown, Coats or Cadets (I haven't seen BD live, so the are excluded). I heard it on TV and thought maybe it was the way the mics picked things up, but I hear that fuzziness live as well, mostly from exactly the center of the field. I have no idea why.

SCV also has a little more "down time" than some others, maybe the judges call that "transitions."

Believe me I'm not being critical of SCV, I love their show. I'm just trying to be analytical the way I think the judges might be. I'm not nearly qualified to split hairs in adjudicating these top corps at the highest level.

• Like 1

Guardians naysayers (look back on DCP posts a few years back), you'd better serve yourself to a heaping helping of crow.

Trying to remember: when the organization was initially announced, Texas had lately had two Open Class corps fold, one of whom, Forte, left members stranded in Indiana, and the other, Revolution, who never even got performance rights for their show that season (which DCI discovered after the season when they reached out to the publishers to get the media rights). And I recall that some other supposed startup corps (in Georgia?) had announced but kept canceling camp dates, and that operation appeared to many observers to be some sort of scam.

So some skepticism may have been justified.

However, here and here are two early threads about the Guardians, and it's probably fair to describe some posts in the second one as more skeptical than necessary. A good lesson for us all. And congratulations to the Guardians! The only Open Class corps to improve its position yesterday relative to the rest of O.C., and one of only two whose absolute score improved (the other being BDB, of course).

(Just found here the 2012 discussion of Accent Marching Academy, which is probably the earlier group I was thinking of. Anybody know what ever came of that operation?)

How did BDB open up a 4 point gap with SCVC? The gap was only 1 point on Tuesday. I didn't get to watch either performance of either corps, so I'm purely just curious.

I haven't see the open class shows either but I am astounded by this. BDB in front of Colts as well, sitting at 15th. At this level in scoring, there a lot of swings back and forth that you'd NEVER see in the upper echelons. There would be rioting.

Honestly it was an amazing night for drum corps all around, it's a fantastic year for DCI.

...but that wink though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZCBjQ46CDg

Did anyone capture a shot or video of Academy's soloist smiling at the camera?