DCI WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP PRELIMS - 8/11/16

It's weird hearing the drum line warming up on their rims.

Coding my fingers for my kid. He gets tossed in drum solo and is in the featured octet.

• Like 1

To say something no one else has, LOVE that color palette Music City used. Gorgeous.

I've seen them at Avon Lake at least three times, starting with their "Postcards with Havana" show, and they always seem to play right at sunset, which sets their uniforms, costumes, and flags ablaze.

Another crown set, though the guard is in the center forming a crown jewel, if you will. Nice touch.

Yeah, Carolina Crown fans should love the forms in Music City's show: what were there, like four crown sets?

Most of the corps, hidden behind the front sideline scrims, now appear as they move out and begin performing Pines of Rome.

WOW, Legends gets the award for most rapidly-improving corps. They've really taken off FLYING over the last two years, without looking back.

As much as that performance THRILLED me, I think their next step in design could be to take a lesson from Genesis' show this year and really incorporate those design details that make things sparkle: transitions and visual & musical layering in particular. While Legends' show was brimming with TERRIFIC moments that were so well-conceived, there were also multiple spots where my attention wandered for a second, and I wasn't really sure what they were trying to achieve, other than getting to the next big moment. Very minute spots, but present nonetheless. With Genesis, the design from top-to-bottom was highly engaging, and less journeying from impact-to-impact.

On the other hand, Legends performed with SO MUCH incredible energy, and this show is exactly where they needed to be in terms of growth this season. I'm rabidly looking forward to what they'll bring in the future, and can't wait to see that show again tomorrow! A WELL-DESERVED Open Class Bronze Medal performance!!!!

That was a quick Pines of Rome. I was hoping for more.

Sharp playing by the corps early on. Very aggressive, intense, and tight.