DCI WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP PRELIMS - 8/11/16

I hit a button doing something on my computer as we got the "welcome to the field" announcement. They were at about 4:20 on the timer when the "proud to present" announcement went.

Edit to add: of course those are the announcer and not the official timer. So it may be close.

Yeah my read was off the timing judge, she put away here 1 minute market and they hadn't announced yet. But I guess they don't hold it up through the last second.

At least there's a Spirit to march in this year. It came so close to folding in the off season. They're recovering, and doing well for that.

And everyone said -- AMEN!

• Like 1

I feel horrible for the kids in Spirit. This show design has the right intention but is just so poorly put together.

that corps has so many demons to fend off. i feel like them even showing up is a good sign at this point.

• Like 1

PC should be beating spirit. Too much dirt in the drill still. I guess they can clean it for tomorrow. Oh wait, there won't be a tomorrow. What happened to them?

PC should be beating spirit. Too much dirt in the drill still. I guess they can clean it for tomorrow. Oh wait, there won't be a tomorrow. What happened to them?

????

I definitely feel that way.

Surf went just a few corps ago and I cannot remember a single thing or defining moment about their show.

Meanwhile:

Blue Devils B had an amazing drum feature with some really cool drill and flag stuff going on backfield.

Vanguard Cadets ballad climax was stunning and their closer is still stuck in my head.

Legends light moment. Nough said.

Genesis mistress blood bath in their closer. Omg.

And I could keep going down the list to Shadows cool elasticity band still moment.

Well, I can certainly remember moments in Surf's show, like the opening set, the "Beyond the Sea" octet, the battery snaking through the horns in two groups at the end of the ballad, and the whirlpool set. But none of those had a huge impact.

• Like 1

I just want to take a minute to reflect on the fact that the Cascades are, for the second year in a row, fielding what is at the very least an early 2000s "full" size corps. That, as well as their performance quality, is a huge positive when comparing them to those 3-4 years where they were struggling to bring 30 horns and 10 guard on the field. Bravo for two years of very enjoyable shows and stepping in the right direction.

• Like 4

Are the announcing scores this afternoon as they go along?

Yes, right now everyone is tied at nothing.

The first of team trees takes the field.

• Like 1