DCI World Championships Semifinals - 8/1215

there's so much light in the stadium, its really tough to do those sort of things well. Legends worked because you can see the source. These use diffusion to spread it out evenly. So it cuts the output down immensely.

This year's Colts show and last year's SCV show are both proof that white light on a white surface does not work well under stadium lighting.

there's so much light in the stadium, its really tough to do those sort of things well. Legends worked because you can see the source. These use diffusion to spread it out evenly. So it cuts the output down immensely.

The green color worked well for Legends too. They were more visible to me than SCV's white light ups last year on the feed anyway. I don't know if going with something other than white would work the presence of so much white color on the field seems to run counter to the Nachtmusik theme too.

It is my opinion, as someone who's worked with many an arts organization, that you shouldn't need to rely on tickets sold or show payouts to fund your season. That should be saved and considered into next years budget. Or used during the season as contingency money. I understand they have more mouths to feed, but OC is designed to be a limited touring entity. If they want to tour that's great, but we've seen so many move up and flame out quickly that I'm not certain its for the best to promote anyone up until they can prove they don't actually need to move up.

That's one point of view, and your experience has no doubt served you well. One other point of view is that some of these OC corps have no intention of staying is OC forever. DCI needs to find a way to allow these corps a chance when they think they are ready, without having to beat BDB (and make finals) to prove that they can hold their own with WC. They shouldn't have to beat 1/2 of WC to prove that they have what it takes to join the old boys club.

Well the point is that (like Pioneer) their approach to World Class would be different than some other corps. I'm fine with that. If the only point to marching a corps is winning a title, then wouldn't you agree that most World Class corps have utterly failed?

Not at all. But if I knew there was a favored corps within the organization, competing for the same numbers and against the same corps but with less resources, it would feel different than what it does now.

We established yesterday that non-English languages are not a strong point for him. ;)

You think THAT is bad? Here's a video of my Marching Band (he said MARCHING BAND on a Drum Corps website! Crucify Him!) at our last competition from last year. We had a Spanish Themed show, and the announcer was the worst thing ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbVR3ieowGM

(and if you'd like to you could watch the entire thing to make me happy)

The green color worked well for Legends too. They were more visible to me than SCV's white light ups last year on the feed anyway. I don't know if going with something other than white would work the presence of so much white color on the field seems to run counter to the Nachtmusik theme too.

You can do it. It all goes back to seeing the source full on, versus seeing light cast from a source.

My degree is technically entertainment engineering, so I can give you my intro level class of teaching the science behind it. But you'll be asleep before it gets interesting.

However, in more laymans terms. turn on a flashlight outside. stare at it. (please don't though.. at least not a maglite) and then shine that onto a piece of paper in broad daylight. that's the difference between what you see via Legends usage of the Source of Light, versus how colts use it inside a prop to create a wash of color on a surface.