DCI World Championships Semifinals - 8/1215

A lot of people were wrong when they said Academy's show would not finish in 12th place. Pre- or even early season, how many of you picked that show for 11th?

Congratulations, ACADEMY!

Definitely. They deserve every bit of it.

That's weird. There were a few moments that sounded completely silent tonight on the live feed.

You liar... You said you were going to bed Edited by DawsonBurnes

With 11 judges and the captions all over the place, I think we can throw the slotting argument out the window.

That's not what slotting means.

Slotting has to do with the judges managing their numbers given their perception of placement.

It's not a conspiracy, or some sort of nefarious practice. It's just how subjective judging works.

I've posted about this so many times over the years.

When you look at the performance figures, at this point in the season and at this point spread, it is easily possible to see the positions change. One group may play or march better on a given night... changing the outcome.

BUT... the composition elements (including the entirety of GE) are relatively static. The closeness of scores do not indicate a possible change in placement. The closeness merely indicates closeness, but the written show is in stone, and afforded its comparative 'slot'. The best way to change the outcome is to change the show (and that's a gamble).

It doesn't mean that placements can't change... but it's highly unlikely that the composition and GE figures will move positions at this point... they haven't really moved in a meaningful way in a couple weeks.

Edited by cfirwin3
  • Like 2

I'm going to say it again... this is why the Bluecoats are looking safe. They are winning the biggest caption (consistently) and the others are splitting the smaller ones.

Agreed on your conclusion. The pressure is really on. I love the ballad/jazz section. Great stuff, but the ending felt too soon for me tonight, I wanted more! I thought the whole opening section was as good as I have seen it all year! Their tough brass runs were as clean as they've been all year too. I do think Bluecoats seem to be having electronics problems during their shows this week or am I dreaming?

I saw a couple of new things tonight in BDs show that helped clean some things up, but I really do not like the whole corps dance section at all. It still looks sloppy and does not fit into the show. At least the kpop eventually made sense with little red last year.

Crown plays like their hair hair is on fire. When they turn it on, they are lights out the best brass line. Balanced and balls to the wall. Really like the show itself.

I love Vanguards show, I get the whole thing, visuals, music everything. They are still not quite as clean as I would like and I think that's why they are so far in back of the top 3. If they were cleaner, I think it would a 4 way race, not 3.

Cavies show was incredible tonight. They have that swagger back, the geometries visuals that no one can touch. Percussion and guard need to take another step up, they have never had a great brass line, when they won, they very good brass and the rest was unbeatable.

Cadets finally reversed their trend of "meh" GE. They really performed tonight and I thought they might be in 5th, but at least it's starting to work. I think they need a new design team, more than anything.

Totally called Cavies moving up. They had a fantastic night.

Bloo's goo is still too much, the only time I hear their tubas is during their feature with nothing else playing. The corps has fantastic energy though and that along with GE can win it all even if they're not as clean as BD or Crown.

Blue Devils were on fire, honestly thought they would take it tonight.

Proud of Crown, wearing the E=MC2 shirt tomorrow for good luck.

Edited by defeldus2
  • Like 2

I'm absolutely NOT insinuating that they're cheating by any stretch of the imagination. My point was I would put both BD and Crown ahead of them if we were looking at the technical categories. Nothing more, nothing less.

Um, no. I have no idea what you're watching or insinuating but Bloo is incredibly good at visual ex, and everything else. Maybe they're not quite BD at visual ex, but they are not dirty. You sound like you're ready to call them cheaters. I'd be careful if I were you. Perhaps I'll just infer from your comments that you lack and eye and an ear for excellence. The accusations can work both ways. Sigh...

• Like 2

Honestly, I need to step back and appreciate how friendly everyone on here is being. Couldn't ask for a better community

Just wait, we'll be coming after each other with knives, shivs, and broken beer bottles soon. Maybe starting tomorrow night!

• Like 1