DCI World Championships Semifinals - 8/1215

There was a marriage proposal on the field during age out ceremony.

Yes and I know those kids! So cool. They are Oregon Crusaders. One aged out last year. My son and he and another former member of the corps have been roommates ever since my son aged out in 2014. Guess he's losing a roommate soon!

Edited by luv4corps

Each show in the top 3 has it's strength and weakness. I wouldn't be surprised if things are stirred around for finals (across the board).

This is possibly looking like last year's result. Where friday's winner is out-sprinted at the finish line on Sat. If you look at the score chart at ascendperformingarts.org/scores/ and continue the lines up from thurs and fri, the order of finish is Crown, Blue Devils then Bluecoats. Crown is sprinting faster than BD, who is sprinting faster than Bluecoats.

George Bonfiglio told me once that finals is always an execution show. So, if you take the averages of visual and music for friday, the finals order of finish would be: 1st: BD, 2nd: Crown, 3rd: Bluecoats. Using the averages for thurs and friday the order is: 1st Bluecoats, 2nd: BD, 3rd Crown. So, if you use just Friday, BD wins. If you use thurs and friday, Bluecoats win.

So, if you use 3 different methods, you get 3 different winners.

The method I used last year, gave me the point spread between BD and Crown to within one tenth of a point of the actual result. I looked at the point spread history for BD and Crown for the past shows where they were judged by the finals judges. I then used those point spreads to estimate what would happen in finals. That worked out well. Unfortunately, since this year they are not releasing the detailed recaps, that method is not possible.

But, one possible hint might be to look at GE, since that is where Bluecoats have had their biggest point spread. 2 of the finals GE judges are from So. Cal. Lee Carlson is old color guard guy, who probably knows Scott Chandler pretty well. So, could there be a unconscious or conscious advantage to BD. Not saying there is a proven bias there, but could be possible.

Caleb Rothe runs the So. Cal winter drumline circuit. Quite a few WGI champions came from that circuit. A number of guys from that circuit march this year with Bluecoats and BD (also Blue Stars, Vanguard, Blue Knights and the drum guy from Academy). Also, BD now sponsors RCC, who have provided a lot of the BD drumline members for years. RCC is in that So. Cal drumline circuit and has won a lot of WGI championships. Rothe is a drum guy, but for some reason is judging GE at finals. The finals winner could result from the GE spread he gives to BD or Bluecoats. Since Bluecoats have a big GE show, and one of the Bluecoats drum guys teaches at a high school that is also in the So. Cal drumline circuit, the bigger spread might be to them, so Bluecoats win finals; If he gives a bigger GE spread to BD over Crown, BD could win. Could this happen? Maybe, maybe not. Again, there is no proven bias there, just a potential conflict of interest.

Edited by 27Socal
  • Like 2

There was a marriage proposal on the field during age out ceremony.

A Cavalier color guard age out got engaged as well. Best of luck to him and his future husband!

• Like 5

Between Thursday and Friday, I have noticed a few corps electronics needing re-booting or other work to get them performance ready. In each of the cases, the pause was noticeable. Is there a reason DCI did not assess any timing penalties?

• Like 1

Nobody is going to beat Bloo tonight. They have consistently been winning for most of the season. Their demand of the show is perfectly balanced with innovation and vision that has brought much needed innovation and creativity.

Bloo wins and the crowd will go crazy. I just don't see how they will not win tonight. Their show is just heads and above everyone else's this season. Rather than spots of brilliance, the entire show is seamless and a thrill ride from start to finish. Sorry Bloo haters, just don't see the "dirt" you all are trying to stir up. This kind of posting has been a typical response in the past to other winning corps as well. This one usually comes after ...."so and so are going to peak and the rest will pass them by"l

Crown will overtake Debils for second place. Certainly have the panel to do this tonight. Sorry Devils fans, this show is just, well, OK to me. Which is typically not the case with Devils shows. Crown show is ur old school pageantry.

Really want Cavies to gain another spot in the placements. Such improvement from them this year.

Such a great year from all corps this season. Great job to all corps. So proud and thankful to all the kids and instructors out there that continue to push for and promote this activity.