DCI World Championships Semifinals - 8/1215

For having a limited schedule, the top open corps sure as heck clean up well at the end of the season and experience huge score increases - vs. all the lower tier WC corps who stall or barely move up. Those open corps just pass them like they are standing still. This puzzles me still - how it is possible to raise the level of their shows SO much in the final few weeks when their WC counterparts are unable to do so.

Got to be the teaching. That's all it could be.

Or, maybe a few more full days to rehearse due to limited touring. Just a thought.

• Like 1

We are getting safety instructions in LOS.

I feel better now.

Anything about throwing babies on the field?

True. I have two sons currently marching. One of them is with an OC corps and has every intention on staying and aging out with that corps.

I think Crown would have a 2nd corps in a heartbeat if they had the finances to do it. No problem putting together the instructional staff -- just look at how Crown FMMs are making an impact across DCI at other corps. The problem is that (unlike SCV and BD) there's no big income stream (bingo) flowing into the organization. Crown makes ends meet (at least for now).

• Like 2

I think Crown would have a 2nd corps in a heartbeat if they had the finances to do it. No problem putting together the instructional staff -- just look at how Crown FMMs are making an impact across DCI at other corps. The problem is that (unlike SCV and BD) there's no big income stream (bingo) flowing into the organization. Crown makes ends meet (at least for now).

How much do they make off of crownstore doing the digital things?

Anything about throwing babies on the field?

Only if they are properly bubble wrapped with approved Return To Sender tags.

Melted chocolate vocals! Nice OC!!!

For having a limited schedule, the top open corps sure as heck clean up well at the end of the season and experience huge score increases - vs. all the lower tier WC corps who stall or barely move up. Those open corps just pass them like they are standing still. This puzzles me still - how it is possible to raise the level of their shows SO much in the final few weeks when their WC counterparts are unable to do so.

Got to be the teaching. That's all it could be.

A really simple answer, in my opinion! The Open Class shows are generally easier to clean, because they're designed with much less complexity. That's not to say that they're at any given moment marching easier sets and playing easier music than their world class counterparts in the same tier (although I do think that is frequently the case), the designs are just a lot more straightforward to clean when you have less choreography, layering, and exposure. Guard work is generally more uniform, the corps proper is more often than not marching the drill as a unit (as opposed to this group of members doing choreography, this group marching one drill pattern, this group marching a counter-motion drill pattern, and another group standing still or doing lighter choreography during a feature), and musically, I generally don't notice as many interweaving lines, complex transitions meshing multiple pieces together, or wide dynamic ranges and musical nuance requests. A prime example of this was Crest immediately following SCVC...not much comparison in terms of show depth, and that's not an insult at all....SCVC's "The One" was a GORGEOUS, sparkly-clean open class, top notch design. And if they best Crest (they'll both be close to each other), it will be because SCVC was cleaner....content doesn't matter as much on the last day if you're not achieving it at a squeaky clean level.

That's at least a good part of the answer to your question as to why Open Class groups zoom up in score at the end of the season. It's not just HOW they clean (and, in my opinion, Mandarins down through Pioneer don't generally know how to late-season clean their complicated stuff as well as the others above them, otherwise, well, they'd be placing up there!), but it's also that what they have to clean is much more straightforward to do so. Hope that helps!

• Like 1

A really simple answer, in my opinion! The Open Class shows are generally easier to clean, because they're designed with much less complexity. That's not to say that they're at any given moment marching easier sets and playing easier music than their world class counterparts in the same tier (although I do think that is frequently the case), the designs are just a lot more straightforward to clean when you have less choreography, layering, and exposure. Guard work is generally more uniform, the corps proper is more often than not marching the drill as a unit (as opposed to this group of members doing choreography, this group marching one drill pattern, this group marching a counter-motion drill pattern, and another group standing still or doing lighter choreography during a feature), and musically, I generally don't notice as many interweaving lines, complex transitions meshing multiple pieces together, or wide dynamic ranges and musical nuance requests. A prime example of this was Crest immediately following SCVC...not much comparison in terms of show depth, and that's not an insult at all....SCVC's "The One" was a GORGEOUS, sparkly-clean open class, top notch design. And if they best Crest (they'll both be close to each other), it will be because SCVC was cleaner....content doesn't matter as much on the last day if you're not achieving it at a squeaky clean level.

That's at least a good part of the answer to your question as to why Open Class groups zoom up in score at the end of the season. It's not just HOW they clean (and, in my opinion, Mandarins down through Pioneer don't generally know how to late-season clean their complicated stuff as well as the others above them, otherwise, well, they'd be placing up there!), but it's also that what they have to clean is much more straightforward to do so. Hope that helps!

It's as good of an explanation as I've ever gotten! Thanks.

Maybe it's the feed but OC seemed much more balanced and together with yesterday's run