DCI World Championships Semifinals - 8/1215

I know I'm pretty late here, but congrats BAC on pushing up to 12th place! This push in finals week is really a testament to the talent of the "kids" that make up this corps, and makes this finals spot well deserved! Of course it's tough seeing a corps as iconic as the Madison Scouts out of finals, but seeing as at least 13 corps, imo, had finals-quality shows, I don't think that any Madison fans(or marchers) should feel bad about the design or performance put out this year. Congrats to BAC, and best of luck to Madison on getting to finals next year(a feat which will be getting tougher and tougher in the next few years.)

P.S. I can't believe I almost forgot, way to go Academy! This score and placement ha extremely well-deserved(and I don't think a 10th place finish is out of the question)

• Like 2

So running from set to set and climbing up a slide equals more demand? The show is fantastic, don't get me wrong, but I completely disagree that the Bluecoats show has more demand.

Agreed. More demand for American Ninja, maybe, but not marching and playing at the same time.

• Like 1

Fastest tempos of the top 3, while not always on the move but also have the widest field coverage. Add to that the syncopation between sections and across the field, as well as hanging onto things, and I will emphatically say that from a musical standpoint they have clearly the most simultaneously demanding show this year.

Simplistic analysis aside regarding the slides, that they are performing their overwhelming program as well as they are and people aren't noticing these demands, this should give indication as to what level they are performing. And the judges have been seeing it that way all season.

I'm not saying you're wrong about Bloo's demand - I'm just saying that the comparison to Crown and BD is flawed, becsuse everything you're pointing out is stuff BD & Crown have also been doing, at a high level, for the last 5+ years.

Playing difficult music at a significant spread (in the opener, say) - Crown.

Interacting with props while playing - BD.

Syncopation at significant spreads, with props (a glass wall, say) in the way - BD.

Dance/movement - BD, Crown.

Fast tempos - Crown, Cadets.

Field coverage - plenty 21st century corps post-Frameworks.

Bloo is winning because they found a way to take stuff like this - key components of a winning formula - and do it in their own breezy, exciting, electronically innovative style. But it's not as if BD and Crown suddenly stopped doing it. No single corps is dominating all the charts - Crown and BD aren't being beaten at their own game, but yes, Bloo has absolutely proven to be on par with them both.

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 3

And for those that want DCI judges off the field...here ya go...LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_glev1oFobQ

• Like 6

I usually just stay on the side read all of these great posts and I loved the play-by-play last night - thank you. I was so excited to get to semis as I had not seen crown or bluecoats live, i was already a fan of bd, scv, and cavies' shows and i was pleasantly surprised how much i enjoyed bk live! When bc came on I was prepared for E=mc2 or Spartacus or Felliniesque or even Angels and Demons - so much hype and excitement! I'm sad to say I was disappointed. The feet, amps, pacing, and so much solo/soli features - it just did not translate for me - imo.

Probably because their show doesn't translate well back to 2008 or even 2013.

BD win Vis by 0.15 over Bloo, Crown wins Music 0.06 over Bloo.

That is another observation to pay attention to. In a 3 way race... being consistently 2 when you aren't 1 is REALLY helpful.
  • Like 3