2016 DCI World Championship Finals - 8/13/2016

If you have complaints about DCi this year, go pound sand. I saw all of the world class corps live, and the OC corps that made semis, and all had great things going on. The top 3....recap is all over the place, and all tight. All 3 corps incredible, and SCV, yay for Sanford! Props to Sadie for fighting to stay awake til the last score and making it, Kyle and Jay for great seasons on tour, friends teching, and a huge shout out to Academy for their first time in and to all off the alumni, especially the friends who marched and taught the Bluecoats I know since Larry chartered that first bus that left CV In the winter of 86. Outside of one idiot judge and his lack of awareness on the field, this was the best and most exciting season of DCI in my 40+ years of following it.

This.

Congrats to the Bluecoats! A well-deserved championship and one heck of an entertaining show. Congrats to Blue Devils and Crown on their medal finishes and I was in love with both of those shows as well. Santa Clara's show will remain one of the most beautiful shows I saw all summer, and a big congratulations to Academy for breaking into the top 12. Nice to see new blood do so well and your show was one of the best of the summer. The summer of 2016 was one of the best, for sure. :)

• Like 1

So awesome to see so many happy Crown kids despite winning bronze.

Coats also win music tonight.

Let's also give credit to Blue Devils. They set the bar very, very high, and continue to challenge corps to truly bring greatness.

Your last sentence is a great point. The Blue Devils have been the dominant corps since 2007, having won 6 titles since then. In that time BD has developed a newer visual style, one that calls for multiple performer demands (not just marching and playing) and their staging and character play has been first rate. They've done this while keeping their performance captions at a peak level.

The only 2 corps that have seemingly studied BD's show construction and applied those principles to their show design are Bluecoats and Carolina Crown. This is not to say that others haven't tried. But Bloo and Crown have taken some of those concepts and weaved them into their own unique formula for show construction. The results over the last 6 or 7 years have been magnificent.

The new BIG 3 in this activity is BD, Crown, and Bloo! BD still leads the way and their excellence has helped to push two other corps to much higher levels.

• Like 1

Adding up the technichal captions from last night:

1. Crown 59.238

2. Blue Devils 58.375

3. Bluecoats 58.225

Just an observation - this suggests that we are no longer an activity that awards the kids strictly on the merit of their shows, rather, the creative teams on the merit of their design. Of course it takes a great group of kids to execute the design. Question becomes, should we be putting so much emphasis on GE (40% of the overall score) or should we be giving more emphasis to execution? I don't have an agenda, just thought it would be an interesting discussion.

• Like 1

1. Crown 59.238

2. Blue Devils 58.375

3. Bluecoats 58.225

Just an observation - this suggests that we are no longer an activity that awards the kids strictly on the merit of their shows, rather, the creative teams on the merit of their design. Of course it takes a great group of kids to execute the design. Question becomes, should we be putting so much emphasis on GE (40% of the overall score) or should we be giving more emphasis to execution? I don't have an agenda, just thought it would be an interesting discussion.

Ugh...

You are acting as if the margin of execution is some sort of outstanding gap... completely obvious to all spectators.

The SHOW is the most important element in this type of competition.

The idea that GE is the winning caption has been in place in DCI competition since well before current marching members were born.

The idea that "we are no longer an activity... yadda yadda..." is bunk.

1. Crown 59.238

2. Blue Devils 58.375

3. Bluecoats 58.225

Yeah despite me loving how competent BD is in show design every year, I do think the GE caption needs just a little less emphasis. Why do we emphasize GE so much? It really takes away from a lot of the hard work the marchers do in my opinion. The question is, how should it be split? Do we go with a 33.3% emphasis for each caption? That would probably make numbers messy.

Or maybe a 30 GE 35 Visual 35 Music split.

I definitely don't like the huge emphasis on what the designers are doing rather than the members.

Ugh...

You are acting as if the margin of execution is some sort of outstanding gap... completely obvious to all spectators.

The SHOW is the most important element in this type of competition.

The idea that GE is the winning caption has been in place in DCI competition since well before current marching members were born.

The idea that "we are no longer an activity... yadda yadda..." is bunk.

So in your opinion, we shouldn't judge anything other than GE, correct?

Honestly I don't know what the answer or if anything really needs to be fixed. Arguably, The emphasis on GE does help us to create shows that reach the fans and drive more people to the activity. I seem to recall a time where we were having discussions about the shows being too technically driven. Where is the balance? Or do we have it right today?

Yeah despite me loving how competent BD is in show design every year, I do think the GE caption needs just a little less emphasis. Why do we emphasize GE so much? It really takes away from a lot of the hard work the marchers do in my opinion. The question is, how should it be split? Do we go with a 33.3% emphasis for each caption? That would probably make numbers messy.

Or maybe a 30 GE 35 Visual 35 Music split.

I definitely don't like the huge emphasis on what the designers are doing rather than the members.

Honestly I don't know what the answer or if anything really needs to be fixed. Arguably, The emphasis on GE does help us to create shows that reach the fans and drive more people to the activity. I seem to recall a time where we were having discussions about the shows being too technically driven. Where is the balance? Or do we have it right today?

1999 SCV

1. Crown 59.238

2. Blue Devils 58.375

3. Bluecoats 58.225

This has been a, maybe the, central discussion since the first time a corps stepped onto a field. It will continue to be, and should be.

The combination of technical achievement and entertainment value is what makes DCI unique.

I, for one, have zero interest in watching the Olympics gymnastics competitions. Though I certainly appreciate their hard work, achievements, and beauty, not a single person would have to be in the stands for the exhibition to go on and be successfully judged.

22,000 people in attendance, and the entire place buzzing with expectation, says we have it right. You'd better have some great idea people at the heart of your organization, who have the authority to lead the design and marching process, or you're going to fall further and further behind.

• Like 1

Which I don't understand. Crowns guard is better hands down.

Wrong. They're both VERY good. Please. Different styles and emphasis, but both top drawer groups. Loved them both.

• Like 1