2016 DCI World Championship Finals - 8/13/2016

In other words: there is no such thing as a purely technical caption and there hasn't been in decades.

I don't think you quite understand the judging categories. Each category, not just GE, is evaluated both on "what" the performers are doing as well as "how well" they are doing it. Brass, Percussion, visual performance break out into Content (what) and Achievement (how well). Check out the actual judging sheets.

Adding up the technichal captions from last night:

1. Crown 59.238

2. Blue Devils 58.375

3. Bluecoats 58.225

Just an observation - this suggests that we are no longer an activity that awards the kids strictly on the merit of their shows, rather, the creative teams on the merit of their design. Of course it takes a great group of kids to execute the design. Question becomes, should we be putting so much emphasis on GE (40% of the overall score) or should we be giving more emphasis to execution? I don't have an agenda, just thought it would be an interesting discussion.

Good catch, thanks. I thought that number was weird. Math and me don't get along 😜

That number for crown is not correct. If you add total visual to total music you get -

1. Blue Devils 58.375

2. Crown 58.238

3. Bluecoats 58.225

Crazy close between the top three in performance.

Good catch, thanks. I thought that number was weird. Math and me don't get along 😜

Again, though, these are not purely technical captions. Those don't exist.

• Like 1

Oh wait ... Nevermind! More power to "execution" captions please, and waaaaay less to GE. :))

This would have widened the gap nicely in 2015 too ...

That number for crown is not correct. If you add total visual to total music you get -

1. Blue Devils 58.375

2. Crown 58.238

3. Bluecoats 58.225

Crazy close between the top three in performance.

• Like 1

So you're actually reinforcing my argument. The "what they're doing" is driven by the vehicle (show) they're given. If a corps is given a bad show to perform, no matter how much they clean it, they most likely will not have the opportunity to win. Not saying this is good or bad, it is what it is, but it makes the competition aspect even more subjective.

I don't think you quite understand the judging categories. Each category, not just GE, is evaluated both on "what" the performers are doing as well as "how well" they are doing it. Brass, Percussion, visual performance break out into Content (what) and Achievement (how well). Check out the actual judging sheets.

Edited by Newseditor44

Just an observation - this suggests that we are no longer an activity that awards the kids strictly on the merit of their shows, rather, the creative teams on the merit of their design. Of course it takes a great group of kids to execute the design. Question becomes, should we be putting so much emphasis on GE (40% of the overall score) or should we be giving more emphasis to execution? I don't have an agenda, just thought it would be an interesting discussion.

This is exactly right. You can't win without a great adult-created design that is performed decently well. You can win with a great adult-created design and have a weak performance caption or two.

So you're actually reinforcing my argument. The "what they're doing" is driven by the vehicle (show) they're given. If a corps is given a bad show, no matter how much they clean it, they most likely will not ha e the opportunity to win. Not saying this is good or bad, it is what it is, but it makes the competition aspect even more subjective.

It's been this way for decades.

Literally decades.

50 percent content. 50 percent execution.

You are asserting that GE is purely the former and the other captions are purely the latter. They aren't.

• Like 1

Honestly, I wouldn't change anything. I like that this forces the design teams to play to the crowd. This came from a discussion with my wife last night. She is not a drum corps person, and trying to explain how the corps are adjudicated got us into s lengthy conversation, which ultimately ended in an argument. Ugh. I can't win at home, I can't win here.

Maybe this will help - I LOVED BD's SHOW LAST NIGHT.

😳🙃🙂😄

It's been this way for decades.

Literally decades.

50 percent content. 50 percent execution.

You are asserting that GE is purely the former and the other captions are purely the latter. They aren't.

I see where you're coming from .... sometimes I miss the ole tick system that went away after ... I think 1983? My point is that all sub-captions measure based on design. So the compositions/arrangements are judged in brass, MA and percussion. Drill in VA and VP, etc. not just a GE caption thing.

So you're actually reinforcing my argument. The "what they're doing" is driven by the vehicle (show) they're given. If a corps is given a bad show to perform, no matter how much they clean it, they most likely will not have the opportunity to win. Not saying this is good or bad, it is what it is, but it makes the competition aspect even more subjective.

• Like 1