2016 DCI World Championship Finals - 8/13/2016

I have to say, though, the efforts to de-legitimize a new champion by somehow pretending we haven't picked champions this way since the 1980s is pretty novel.

This did not happen overnight. We did not wake up in a brave new world yesterday morning...or ten years ago, or twenty years ago, etc.

If you want to disparage the system as wrong, then we need to question literally every championship win since the elimination of the tick system.

Note: not aimed at you, newseditor. Just noticing the usual grumbles.

Edited by geluf
  • Like 2

So you're actually reinforcing my argument. The "what they're doing" is driven by the vehicle (show) they're given. If a corps is given a bad show to perform, no matter how much they clean it, they most likely will not have the opportunity to win. Not saying this is good or bad, it is what it is, but it makes the competition aspect even more subjective.

Which is why it really matters where you choose to spend your summer as a marching member.

Peyton Manning has made a lot of average receivers into all pros.

Oh wait! Forget it. I agree with everything you say. You're right! :)

And to return the sentiment, as a longtime BD fan, I thought Crown absolutely deserved high guard. I was there, and they were flawless. I was surprised to see the finals guard numbers. Show kicked butt too.

Honestly, I wouldn't change anything. I like that this forces the design teams to play to the crowd. This came from a discussion with my wife last night. She is not a drum corps person, and trying to explain how the corps are adjudicated got us into s lengthy conversation, which ultimately ended in an argument. Ugh. I can't win at home, I can't win here.

Maybe this will help - I LOVED BD's SHOW LAST NIGHT.

😳🙃🙂😄

If you want to disparage the system as wrong, then we need to question literally every championship win since the elimination of the tick system.

I am in no way suggesting the system is broken or that the Bluecoats shouldn't have been crowned champion. I would have made the same call as the judges last night and completely agree with their evaluation. As I mentioned above, this came about after a conversation with my wife last night and thought it would be an interesting discussion. Nothing more, nothing less.

Here's the cool thing about last night - we had three corps with three shows that were each unique, technically fantastic, and all had crowd appeal. I mean c'mon, if I'm saying I was into a BD show, you know there is something there. I had goosebumps after each show, and didn't want the season to end. And quite frankly, don't really care who won. Such a great freaking season - we don't get too many of these in drum corps land.

Oh wait! Forget it. I agree with everything you say. You're right! :)

And to return the sentiment, as a longtime BD fan, I thought Crown absolutely deserved high guard. I was there, and they were flawless. I was surprised to see the finals guard numbers. Show kicked butt too.

Newseditor44: Just so you know I edited that post. Wasn't really directed at you.

Ultimately, for what it's worth:

I don't think there's a change to the system that would improve it.

I think it has to be 50 percent content, 50 percent performance. The tick system wouldn't work today. It would kill the activity rapidly because it encourages "playing it safe". If your content isn't worth anything (or much less than execution), then there is no reason to program something that might be outside the box, or run-and-gun, or what have you.

Even a split of, say, 60/40 would see this happen to some extent.

Right now, if your amazing brass line plays concert F whole notes for 11 minutes, they're going to tank. In theory, eliminating content means that only the execution of those whole notes matters.

I realize that's a hyperbolic example, but I think the point is clear.

• Like 1

I have to say, though, the efforts to de-legitimize a new champion by somehow pretending we haven't picked champions this way since the 1980s is pretty novel.

People raise this issue every year. I don't think it is, for most, an effort to de-legitimize a new champion.

People raise this issue every year. I don't think it is, for most, an effort to de-legitimize a new champion.

You're right, of course, its just a merry-go-round about which corps fans are the ones complaining after the fact!

It's all good brother. 🤗

Newseditor44: Just so you know I edited that post. Wasn't really directed at you.

Ultimately, for what it's worth:

I don't think there's a change to the system that would improve it.

I think it has to be 50 percent content, 50 percent performance. The tick system wouldn't work today. It would kill the activity rapidly because it encourages "playing it safe". If your content isn't worth anything (or much less than execution), then there is no reason to program something that might be outside the box, or run-and-gun, or what have you.

Even a split of, say, 60/40 would see this happen to some extent.

Right now, if your amazing brass line plays concert F whole notes for 11 minutes, they're going to tank. In theory, eliminating content means that only the execution of those whole notes matters.

I realize that's a hyperbolic example, but I think the point is clear.