2016 DCI World Championship Finals - 8/13/2016

Couldn't agree more. I'm still giddy about last night. And here's the best part - the kids from the top 4 corps didn't care. Nothing but love and hugs afterwards. I was so proud of the kids - all of them - when I saw that. As a FMM, that made me so proud.

As a pure fan, I personally would have a hard time complaining about what the system has led to, because this was, to me, the most entertaining top 4 in the 20 years I've followed the activity.

• Like 1

I have to say, though, the efforts to de-legitimize a new champion by somehow pretending we haven't picked champions this way since the 1980s is pretty novel.

This did not happen overnight. We did not wake up in a brave new world yesterday morning...or ten years ago, or twenty years ago, etc.

If you want to disparage the system as wrong, then we need to question literally every championship win since the elimination of the tick system.

Note: not aimed at you, newseditor. Just noticing the usual grumbles.

How is this novel? This happens every year BD wins lol

Newseditor44: Just so you know I edited that post. Wasn't really directed at you.

Ultimately, for what it's worth:

I don't think there's a change to the system that would improve it.

I think it has to be 50 percent content, 50 percent performance. The tick system wouldn't work today. It would kill the activity rapidly because it encourages "playing it safe". If your content isn't worth anything (or much less than execution), then there is no reason to program something that might be outside the box, or run-and-gun, or what have you.

Even a split of, say, 60/40 would see this happen to some extent.

Right now, if your amazing brass line plays concert F whole notes for 11 minutes, they're going to tank. In theory, eliminating content means that only the execution of those whole notes matters.

I realize that's a hyperbolic example, but I think the point is clear.

Lots of people make lots of money trying to prove that you can make subjective things objective. Creativity simply cannot be boiled down to charts and graphs, no matter how smart the technicians may be. It's amazing how well DCI does what they do from a judging standpoint.

At the end of this season, for the most part, the final rankings are in the order in which I feel the shows should be ranked...for whatever that is worth.

It happens every year anyone wins. I still see BD fans complaing about 2008 at times.

True that.

How is this novel? This happens every year BD wins lol

I was going for sarcastic but there's no sarcasm emoji :unhappy:

I was going for sarcastic but there's no sarcasm emoji :unhappy:

Oops. Hard to tell sometimes! It's all good

Lots of people make lots of money trying to prove that you can make subjective things objective. Creativity simply cannot be boiled down to charts and graphs, no matter how smart the technicians may be. It's amazing how well DCI does what they do from a judging standpoint.

At the end of this season, for the most part, the final rankings are in the order in which I feel the shows should be ranked...for whatever that is worth.

You make a great point. I give it a 9.7.

Was I alone in thinking Crown was going to be second? It would've been the first time since 2006 (I think) they got lower than second

???? Maybe some context might help, Since in 2014 Crown was 4th, which is lower than second.