2016 DCI World Championship Finals - 8/13/2016

Just a few words about the sheets, math and caption awards (IOW, why Crown was never in it on finals night even though they won 3 "captions" as scores were being announced.)

Firstly, we use the term "caption" haphazardly, because the awards are named as such, but in reality don't mirror the hierarchy of the sheet, which is:

3 Super-Captions: General Effect, Visual, Music

Visual is broken down into 3 Captions: Visual Performance, Visual Analysis and Color Guard

Music is broken down into 3 Captions: Brass, Music Analysis and Percussion (Percussion is further broken down into 2 judges)

GE has no such breakdown, just 4 judges, half of which are music-oriented and the other visual. But they got away from those official responsibilities as they strive to merge the ideas instead of separating them (good move, IMO)

Regardless of the number of judges (smaller panels sometimes during the summer), each judge has to evaluate two things, that we call "sub captions:" Content/Repertoire and Achievement/Performance.

Here is the most important part about this breakdown: GE is weighted at 40%, whilst Visual is 30% and Music is 30%. Therefore, corps strive to win GE, and DCI wants it this way! GE is where all of the "Keep the crowd happy" stuff was placed in 2011, when the new sheets came out.

But in order to win GE, obviously, a corps has to be competitive in all other aspects, since the sum-total of all that produces the GE.

Back to Crown. Crown won Visual...which is a Super-caption, not a caption. Good on them! It's 30% of the entire score! Then Crown won Color Guard. That's wonderful, but it's already part of the over all visual score, so my math brain said "so what." Then they won Brass...only 10% of the outcome. At this point, Crown had only 40% of the points in the bag, and not by a wide margin. (Margin matters...especially in the highly weighted super caption, GE!)

So all of those people who were thinking "OMG! Crown has three captions! They have a chance!" are woefully ignorant of how the sheets/spreads/weights work, or weren't aware that other drum corps are very good, and thus very close to Crown in those areas.

Now it's time for Percussion and GE. No disrespect to Crown, but did ANYONE think they had a shot in either of those (50%)? And more importantly, even a CLOSE shot? (Well, I guess John Howell did, cuz he put Crown first on his sheet in GE Achievement!) Percussion is only 10% anyway, and there was stiff competition.

Bloo had been taking GE by a wide margin all year, and finals was no exception. Bloo was also very competitive in Brass and Percussion! Did you know that Bloo won the Music Super-caption? There's no award for that, but overall, Bloo won music with a 2nd place hornline and 2nd place drumline! Bloo has been 1st or 2nd all year in Music.

Honestly, as the author of the Competitive Inertia theory, I was worried more about Blue Devils than Crown, lol. BD was still the odds-on favorite until they were taken down. I'm ecstatic that Bloo won! They finally built enough inertia.

• Like 6

lol this ain't gonna happen today, too much to say. Sometime this week maybe......

BRING IT DrumManTx! I can't think of a more qualified, non-judgmental, more sensitive, expressive and a more affirming DCP Member, who can so can write a Drum Corps, review in such uplifting words then you. (Yikes, talk about one heckll of a run-on sentence. lol)

I cannot wait to print your review out, as a keepsake summary of what has become of year of Milestones.....and gravestones, lol 2016, for me 2016 has been one of the most incredible and memorable seasons of DCI competition. (But then again, that can be said after most seasons,) Congratulations, Bravo particularly to Blooooo and The Academy on your year of many firsts. Matter of fact, whether your Corps performed 38th, Les Stentors (OH CANADA!, I'm French-Canadian, Salute) or First, Blooo!! Thanks to DCI LIVE, I watched, appreciated, and I celebrated, enjoyed, and embraced the incredible, effort, dedication and performances you put on the field this weekend in Indy. Godspeed to each and everyone of you. You Had A GREAT Show EVERYONE! Thank You.

• Like 2

BRING IT DrumManTx! I can't think of a more qualified, non-judgmental, more sensitive, expressive and a more affirming DCP Member, who can so can write a Drum Corps, review in such uplifting words then you. (Yikes, talk about one heckll of a run-on sentence. lol)

I cannot wait to print your review out, as a keepsake summary of what has become of year of Milestones.....and gravestones, lol 2016, for me 2016 has been one of the most incredible and memorable seasons of DCI competition. (But then again, that can be said after most seasons,) Congratulations, Bravo particularly to Blooooo and The Academy on your year of many firsts. Matter of fact, whether your Corps performed 38th, Les Stentors (OH CANADA!, I'm French-Canadian, Salute) or First, Blooo!! Thanks to DCI LIVE, I watched, appreciated, and I celebrated, enjoyed, and embraced the incredible, effort, dedication and performances you put on the field this weekend in Indy. Godspeed to each and everyone of you. You Had A GREAT Show EVERYONE! Thank You.

I'm trying!

D:

Tried sitting down yesterday to do it, was still mentally exhausted after Saturday night and the sheer amount of excitement and elatement I had. I also think my mind was shot after seeing the movie "Sausage Party" Sunday morning. Oh my God. Literally.

I'll post the link here when I get it done. I had to shorten some stuff already with the OC groups because it was getting really lengthy. Think Lance is gonna be pretty dismayed at my word count. Lol.

Why did Dan P. announce the Bluecoats?

They opted to pre-record him doing it and have it coming out of their sound system, rather than having it come from Mr. Crocker through the stadium PA. They did something similar with Dan in '14 (though with pitch-bending on the announcement); Madison did similar with Joe Bruno in '13.

If I were to hazard a guess, this year it was for timing purposes.

• Like 1

They opted to pre-record him doing it and have it coming out of their sound system, rather than having it come from Mr. Crocker through the stadium PA. They did something similar with Dan in '14 (though with pitch-bending on the announcement); Madison did similar with Joe Bruno in '13.

If I were to hazard a guess, this year it was for timing purposes.

There has been some discussion about Brandt's timing of intro's, but if he's off a little, does that hurt a corps opening or score?

There has been some discussion about Brandt's timing of intro's, but if he's off a little, does that hurt a corps opening or score?

Of course not. It might be an annoyance for the audience but the judges would certainly never consider that.

It ought to, in my opinion. Obviously not much, but if you opt to start your show with timing that risks someone talking during your first hit, you're taking a small risk and you should be rewarded only if it works.

Just a few words about the sheets, math and caption awards (IOW, why Crown was never in it on finals night even though they won 3 "captions" as scores were being announced.)

Firstly, we use the term "caption" haphazardly, because the awards are named as such, but in reality don't mirror the hierarchy of the sheet, which is:

3 Super-Captions: General Effect, Visual, Music

Visual is broken down into 3 Captions: Visual Performance, Visual Analysis and Color Guard

Music is broken down into 3 Captions: Brass, Music Analysis and Percussion (Percussion is further broken down into 2 judges)

GE has no such breakdown, just 4 judges, half of which are music-oriented and the other visual. But they got away from those official responsibilities as they strive to merge the ideas instead of separating them (good move, IMO)

Regardless of the number of judges (smaller panels sometimes during the summer), each judge has to evaluate two things, that we call "sub captions:" Content/Repertoire and Achievement/Performance.

Here is the most important part about this breakdown: GE is weighted at 40%, whilst Visual is 30% and Music is 30%. Therefore, corps strive to win GE, and DCI wants it this way! GE is where all of the "Keep the crowd happy" stuff was placed in 2011, when the new sheets came out.

But in order to win GE, obviously, a corps has to be competitive in all other aspects, since the sum-total of all that produces the GE.

Back to Crown. Crown won Visual...which is a Super-caption, not a caption. Good on them! It's 30% of the entire score! Then Crown won Color Guard. That's wonderful, but it's already part of the over all visual score, so my math brain said "so what." Then they won Brass...only 10% of the outcome. At this point, Crown had only 40% of the points in the bag, and not by a wide margin. (Margin matters...especially in the highly weighted super caption, GE!)

So all of those people who were thinking "OMG! Crown has three captions! They have a chance!" are woefully ignorant of how the sheets/spreads/weights work, or weren't aware that other drum corps are very good, and thus very close to Crown in those areas.

Now it's time for Percussion and GE. No disrespect to Crown, but did ANYONE think they had a shot in either of those (50%)? And more importantly, even a CLOSE shot? (Well, I guess John Howell did, cuz he put Crown first on his sheet in GE Achievement!) Percussion is only 10% anyway, and there was stiff competition.

Bloo had been taking GE by a wide margin all year, and finals was no exception. Bloo was also very competitive in Brass and Percussion! Did you know that Bloo won the Music Super-caption? There's no award for that, but overall, Bloo won music with a 2nd place hornline and 2nd place drumline! Bloo has been 1st or 2nd all year in Music.

Honestly, as the author of the Competitive Inertia theory, I was worried more about Blue Devils than Crown, lol. BD was still the odds-on favorite until they were taken down. I'm ecstatic that Bloo won! They finally built enough inertia.

While my heart has a hard time accepting the results (but is overjoyed by the caption awards), my mind can see the logic in this and is content. Thanks for making all the math much clearer.

• Like 1