2016 DCI World Championship Finals - 8/13/2016

We noticed this while watching the live stream too. And thought it was weird. Like maybe the Cadets changed the name of the show and the announcer forgot what it was? Although I would think he has all that written down in front of him, just in case, no?

He has everything written for him. Methinks Mr. Crocker doesn't care for all this dangfangled modern stuffs. I can recall that (probably) the first time the announcer was "part of the performance" was the 1989 Cadets' Les Miz. They started moving/playing a small "preshow." I'd seen them many times that summer---a staff member always had to talk to the announcer regarding when to do the final announcement ("You may enter the field for competition" was the old line).

In KC, everything was fine in QF and SF. In Finals (opening the live PBS broadcast), Crocker did his last bit way too soon. It was obvious. It hurt nothing, but the impact of the official opener was marred (as was Crown 2011, BD 2014---he was too late.) Get somebody in there who can handle it.

He has everything written for him. Methinks Mr. Crocker doesn't care for all this dangfangled modern stuffs. I can recall that (probably) the first time the announcer was "part of the performance" was the 1989 Cadets' Les Miz. They started moving/playing a small "preshow." I'd seen them many times that summer---a staff member always had to talk to the announcer regarding when to do the final announcement ("You may enter the field for competition" was the old line).

In KC, everything was fine in QF and SF. In Finals (opening the live PBS broadcast), Crocker did his last bit way too soon. It was obvious. It hurt nothing, but the impact of the official opener was marred (as was Crown 2011, BD 2014---he was too late.) Get somebody in there who can handle it.

Or just don't rely on the announcer as part of your opening impact...

They weren't penalized for the issues. Your post was disingenuous.

He didn't say they were. It's not about penalties. He is saying the electronics affects the score. Whether that's true and by how much is certainly debatable, but it's not a disingenuous position.

• Like 1

From Boo's live-blog last night, they have 11 age-outs.

Each of whom got their name on a tombstone.

It looked like more to me, but if Michael Boo says its 11, and I didn't actually count, that blows my theory out if the water.

I think it's just simple numbers. The top 3 are stealing captions from each other so no one corps is dominant enough for their score to add up to 98

Simple math. To arrive at a total of 98+, the average of each 10-point subcaption from the 11 judges needs to be 9.8. If the top 3 were fairly equal in GE, Music, Visual, there certainly could be 3 corps over 98 (never has happened). So, bottom lines need to be 19.6 (avg). Since Bloo has gone on last both nights and has barely coughed up 97s, 98.6 is against the odds. Heck, if DCP judged GE, they'd have a 40.0, so never say never.

In place and ready go to.

13901354_10207885143821414_2095970363741

• Like 2

Or just don't rely on the announcer as part of your opening impact...

But the corps do. It's a part of the process for many now. I'm not blaming any announcer for aberrations; I was just remembering that in 1989, he did it perfectly on Thurs and Fri. For some reason, he oops'ed on Saturday.