2016 DCI World Championship Finals - 8/13/2016

If you flip Crown/BD Guard scores for Finals (which would be similar to Prelims, if I'm reading right), they wedges them into second (and probably puts them first in your scenario).

If you flip the first and second place scores, Blue Devils would have won. :poke:

• Like 4

Prevents one guy from handing a caption trophy to someone. For example, Guard tonight vs. the past two nights were VERY different stories (and that's if you totally ignore the performances).

When you put it that way, it makes more sense to me.

As long as they keep announcing that the awards are based on the three-night average, so people don't think "how did X corps win three captions and not win the show?"

I know Right?

PR's guard was slammed tonight

Which is funny because that Rockford file looked on point!

When you put it that way, it makes more sense to me.

As long as they keep announcing that the awards are based on the three-night average, so people don't think "how did X corps win three captions and not win the show?"

Why doesn't DCI do the same thing for the final placements?

Because Phantom 08 wouldn't have won had that been the case.

• Like 1

Wish they would just release the dang recaps. Incredibly stupid and non-fan friendly policy.

Keep in mind this was a policy submitted and voted by the BOD (emphasis on the D... for Directors). Was not a DCI change, they just implement it. My guess is it cause tremendous headache in a lot of ways for a lot of people and I wouldnt bet against it being reverted for next season...

Adding up the technichal captions from last night:

1. Crown 59.238

2. Blue Devils 58.375

3. Bluecoats 58.225

Just an observation - this suggests that we are no longer an activity that awards the kids strictly on the merit of their shows, rather, the creative teams on the merit of their design. Of course it takes a great group of kids to execute the design. Question becomes, should we be putting so much emphasis on GE (40% of the overall score) or should we be giving more emphasis to execution? I don't have an agenda, just thought it would be an interesting discussion.

But GE not just the design. It is the performance of the design by the members, not on pure technical terms, but how they bring the design to life and communicate the emotions of the show to the audience.

• Like 2

Adding up the technichal captions from last night:

1. Crown 59.238

2. Blue Devils 58.375

3. Bluecoats 58.225

Just an observation - this suggests that we are no longer an activity that awards the kids strictly on the merit of their shows, rather, the creative teams on the merit of their design. Of course it takes a great group of kids to execute the design. Question becomes, should we be putting so much emphasis on GE (40% of the overall score) or should we be giving more emphasis to execution? I don't have an agenda, just thought it would be an interesting discussion.

This is flawed for a few reasons.

For starters you are assuming that every caption that isn't GE is "technical", which just isn't true. The brass book is being judged by the brass caption and music analysis, ditto the drum book. Guard is judged on the composition as well.

These are all design elements.

Further, GE is only half design. The other half is execution of that design.

In other words...it works just like those other captions. Every single caption has the equivalent of a "content" (or comp) score and an execution score.

Edited by geluf
  • Like 2