2016 DCI World Championship Finals - 8/13/2016

Why doesn't DCI do the same thing for the final placements?

Good question. Not sure what DCI's response to this would be, but I believe it's because the actual scores and placements should always be determined by how a corps scores that night.

Averaging the caption awards does not affect the placement. It lets DCI basically say the following: you [the corps] cannot say you had the best caption (insert the specific caption) if you can't at least win that caption 2 of the 3 nights over Finals weekend.

Crown won brass most of the year, only losing a few times. But if they are who they say they are, then they should be able to win brass at least 2 out of 3 nights at Finals. If they can't then they don't deserve the caption award. What I think happens with the averaging is that we likely get the best representative of excellence with each caption as seen throughout the year and over Finals weekend.

On Finals night only, the captions would have been:

• Brass - Crown
  • Percussion - SCV
  • Color Guard - BD
  • Visual Proficiency - Bloo
  • GE - Bloo

Adding up the technichal captions from last night:

1. Crown 59.238

2. Blue Devils 58.375

3. Bluecoats 58.225

Just an observation - this suggests that we are no longer an activity that awards the kids strictly on the merit of their shows, rather, the creative teams on the merit of their design. Of course it takes a great group of kids to execute the design. Question becomes, should we be putting so much emphasis on GE (40% of the overall score) or should we be giving more emphasis to execution? I don't have an agenda, just thought it would be an interesting discussion.

That number for crown is not correct. If you add total visual to total music you get -

1. Blue Devils 58.375

2. Crown 58.238

3. Bluecoats 58.225

Crazy close between the top three in performance.

That number for crown is not correct. If you add total visual to total music you get -

1. Blue Devils 58.375

2. Crown 58.238

3. Bluecoats 58.225

Crazy close between the top three in performance.

Ah I was wondering how Crown had such a large spread. Good catch!

I for once agree with newseditor. I think it's sad that effect beats clean and pray that it doesn't become a trend.

I disagree with this. I'd say fabulous effect and excellent cleanliness beat excellent effect and fabulous cleanliness. The difference was .4. So maybe in the excellent category the Bluecoats were just slightly more excellent in cleanliness than BD was in effect.

It's never been an "all or nothing" situation where Bluecoats have NO clean in them, and BD has NO effect. Bluecoats actually won visual performance on Finals night. BD's normally super clean Brass and Percussion took 3rd in each caption. I'd say BD wasn't quite as clean or as good as they needed to be in order to beat Bloo. It wasn't just GE.

More to the point, conversations like this just insult and diminish the quality of the top 3. Bloo, BD, and Crown were so amazingly good this year that any attempt to belittle one in order to compliment the other completely invalidates your argument.

• Like 1

I for once agree with newseditor. I think it's sad that effect beats clean and pray that it doesn't become a trend.

I agree. If the members were actively helping in designing the show, I wouldn't mind effect being rewarded so much. But they're not. And unfortunately the judges are mostly rewarded the staff rather than the corps. I'm not sure BD would have won as many titles as they have if GE was not emphasized so much

• Like 1

I disagree with this. I'd say fabulous effect and excellent cleanliness beat excellent effect and fabulous cleanliness. The difference was .4. So maybe in the excellent category the Bluecoats were just slightly more excellent in cleanliness than BD was in effect.

It's never been an "all or nothing" situation where Bluecoats have NO clean in them, and BD has NO effect. Bluecoats actually won visual performance on Finals night. BD's normally super clean Brass and Percussion took 3rd in each caption. I'd say BD wasn't quite as clean or as good as they needed to be in order to beat Bloo. It wasn't just GE.

More to the point, conversations like this just insult and diminish the quality of the top 3. Bloo, BD, and Crown were so amazingly good this year that any attempt to belittle one in order to compliment the other completely invalidates your argument.

Well said.

I'm a lifelong BD fan, but I gotta give it up for the Bluecoats this year... and last night in particular. So much fun to watch.

And you're right... the top 3... wow!!! I am glad I'm not a judge. I'm sure the corps are glad, too. LOL.

It has always been fifty percent design, fifty percent performance of that design in every single caption. All of them. Since we switched to this system decades ago.

Why doesn't DCI do the same thing for the final placements?

You mean DCA?

I think they did for a while (averaging prelims and finals)... this was several years ago. Might be wrong about that.

I don't think that's the case now.

Heck.... since 2005, the DCA caption awards have been, for the most part, a sea of Buccaneer blue. :tongue: