Spending Limits

Should DCI pass a rule limiting the amount of money corps can spend each year?

Based on figures from guidestar, it seems that the typical top-12 corps currently spends about $1.2M per season. There is wide variability, but it seems that there is a rough correlation between budget and placement. Very few corps with < 1M budgets make it into finals, so it looks like this is an effective barrier.

I would suggest a limit of about 1.2M per year, with a variance based on miles traveled. Each corps would submit a detailed budget and be subject to random audits. There would be minimums and maximums for certain categories. Multi-corps organizations would have to budget each competitive unit separately. The budget would include the estimated value of sponsorships or in-kind contributions, including unpaid staff.

I think a spending cap would not only level things competitively, but would improve the long-term financial stability of many corps.

Most competitive sports leagues have spending caps and I think it is time for DCI to adopt this practice.

It certainly would work to level the playing field. Which is why it will never ever ever ever ever happen.

• Like 2

Uh this would be fine if the corps were paying the members, but they aren't. Why subject the members to less resources when they're paying for the ride? Plus the quality of the product in the upper echelons would probably drop.

Should DCI pass a rule limiting the amount of money corps can spend each year?

Based on figures from guidestar, it seems that the typical top-12 corps currently spends about $1.2M per season. There is wide variability, but it seems that there is a rough correlation between budget and placement. Very few corps with < 1M budgets make it into finals, so it looks like this is an effective barrier.

I would suggest a limit of about 1.2M per year, with a variance based on miles traveled. Each corps would submit a detailed budget and be subject to random audits. There would be minimums and maximums for certain categories. Multi-corps organizations would have to budget each competitive unit separately. The budget would include the estimated value of sponsorships or in-kind contributions, including unpaid staff.

I think a spending cap would not only level things competitively, but would improve the long-term financial stability of many corps.

Most competitive sports leagues have spending caps and I think it is time for DCI to adopt this practice.

Well, I'll be the one to disagree with your contention that the "typical" corps spends $1.2mm.

As to your proposal, I'll suggest that creativity shouldn't be limited by money spent, but it MIGHT be controlled by the source of the funds that pays for the show.

Something like, 100% of the costs must be paid for by the MM's tour fees...

• Like 1

Uh this would be fine if the corps were paying the members, but they aren't. Why subject the members to less resources when they're paying for the ride? Plus the quality of the product in the upper echelons would probably drop.

See, here's the issue: members AREN'T paying for it. About 40% of show costs are paid for by tour fees.

There-in lies the problem.