Spending Limits

Reasonable.

Perhaps a better question would be: student-aged *independent* activity (i.e. not specifically tied to any otherwise existing organization--so no scholastic-based activities).

not hard. any activity that has sponsors or fundraising.

boys and girls clubs

summer music and arts camps (sponsors and fundraising events)

Sure a portion of the operating funds have got to come from the members. But if they ever get to 100% from the members, good luck on fielding more than a handful of corps. DCI isn't a typical "student-aged activity"

I'm genuinely curious to know what other student-aged activity is not funded by the participants?

Seriously, I'd like some examples.

Well, if you consider college athletics, you'd find many examples there at the highest level of competition. DCI, though obviously not on that scale, does pretty well. Edited by drumcorpsfever

Sure a portion of the operating funds have got to come from the members. But if they ever get to 100% from the members, good luck on fielding more than a handful of corps. DCI isn't a typical "student-aged activity Well, if you consider college athletics, you'd find many examples there at the highest level of competition. DCI, though obviously not on that scale, does pretty well.

It's not about "doing well". It's about the amount of time that corps' executive staffs have to spend begging for money and fundraising to supplement show costs that have escalated well beyond what member fees can support.

It's not about "doing well". It's about the amount of time that corps' executive staffs have to spend begging for money and fundraising to supplement show costs that have escalated well beyond what member fees can support.

Welcome to the wonderful world of 501c organizations. The CEO is supposed to do *exactly* that. Instead, we have corps doing that *and* trying to play program and staff coordinator.

Welcome to the wonderful world of 501c organizations. The CEO is supposed to do *exactly* that. Instead, we have corps doing that *and* trying to play program and staff coordinator.

strangely enough this discussion is what brought about the G7 in the first place.

take the strengths of the corps who have figured out separate pieces of the business and pool their expertise.

ironic that hop's obnoxious powerpoint torpedoed that effort too.

Edited by corpsband

I think the average staff salary should be lowered from 37 cents/hour to 34.5 cents/hour.

Man... that's just cruel...LOL

If I ran a corps and was struggling to pay the corps' bills... then yes, we should have a spending cap.

If It hit a big lottery and could spend money like a drunken sailor on the corps....then no, we shouldn't. :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 2