Madison Scouts 2017

12 hours ago, Madcityscout said:

Question. How do you feel the brass judging community in DCI would receive the Scouts' hornline if they do decide to use the Bb Bugles?

Depend of who drives the activity.  It seems like BD, Crown and BC are the one dictating show designs now a days.  For one I'm not a fan of giant scaffoldings because I have experienced that with the Riverside Community College way before DCI got into it, but if it works and show flows well, I really can't complaint.    

To experience Madison cam this weekend is a huge eye opener for me, a mesmerizing experience!  

Edited by Vance
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Vance said:

That was part of the discussion. 

So according to the director, no one knows the answer until someone steps in and give it a shot, but it may be a shot worth taking because the situation of their placement last season.   I'm also very confident that as an out door activity, my regular AdVance II Bb trumpets will out perform Xeno, Quantum, and SB, so if the bugle fails, I can supply them my regular line of trumpets with  no delays.  Great rewards do not happen without taking great risks.  

In terms of brass, today's DCI is composed of two flavors with BD as dressing.  We know Jupiter groups will never win DCI or even high brass.  So the brass title is being shared around with Yamaha group with System Blue joining the party every once a while.  During the bugle era, every ten to fifteen years or so, they will make a significant rule change such as single valve to piston/rotary, to two valves and to three valves.  With the Bb switch, it's been 17 years of zero brass innovation because Yamaha and Jupiter pretty much dictates the term.  It's a huge business for the Yamaha/Jupiter because they can move around 600-1000 slightly used horns each year through the corps AT WHOLESALE price, skipping retail stores - Directly to individual buyers or academic institutes.  

As for me, I will either go home tomorrow with a smile on my face knowing that they will be using my horns this season, or I will go home with a smile on my face knowing that I had a world class corps with 24 trumpets rehearsed with my horns, provided me with some valuable audio clips to proof that Bugle sound can be generated through Bb platform.  Either way I'll be happy.  I'm not really in this to become rich... I just want to heard the Bugle sound again, and give the younger kids an opportunity to experience the same.

It's a mesmerizing experience!  

Great!  Good luck.

I had the privilege of playing the G Bugles in the 80s and boy do I miss that sound!!! I do hope that the Scouts push forward and take a shot with the Bb Bugles!

2 hours ago, Pit Dad said:
4 hours ago, Pit Dad said:
9 hours ago, Vance said:

So I'm sitting in Indianapolis right now checking out Scout's camp this weekend.  Friday night was all music, but basic stuff like cords, balancing and volume.  There were using Xenos because my horns was been trucked out from Wisconsin and was delayed. 

Today (Saturday) they'll spend most of the day time on marching and will work on music starting at 8 pm.  I had a lengthy chat with the director and we have quite a few agreements.  During their january camp, they had 24 of my Bb soprano and rehearsed with them back and forth with the Xeno so they can hear the difference, and they like what they heard; this weekend I also brought my latest production model of the Bb bugle "Jr." with the Kanstul powerbore flare bell, intended for their lead players.  They will spend the evening with them.   I was told my mellophone have surpassed Yamaha, and my baritone and Euphonium is just good and they love the sound, the question now is whether to bugle or not bugle.  

The line is fairly young, I counted with 76 brass, only about 30 vets, but I explain to them that it is a good time to switch so these younger players can be trained properly.  They even have some 14 year olds, something I haven't seen since my BD days.   Lots of potential and plenty of kids with a eagerness to learn.  Also I counted 4 or 5 new visual staffs from BD, so they are serious about cleaning the feet! 

So I'm adding some icing to the cake....Their opener is from Bartok with some interesting Advant-Garde jazz.  I like what I'm hearing so far.  

For those who remembers the end of their 1997 show with that glorious 45 second FFFFFFFF hold, with the drum major picking up his camera and took bunch of photos of the audience jizzing all over themselves in the stadium???  I told them it's time to bring that back!!!!

14 year olds?  I know there are young students who are very talented but that would be a lot to ask of a 14 year old.  I know that was the way things were back in the '70s and early '80s but trying to compete against the top level corps with students that young is just a little scary.

What section are the 14 year olds in? My son is there and my husband is with him. My husband has not seen or heard about any 14 year olds. There is a 16 year old trumpet vet that already has a contract and a 15 year old baritone player that is there for his second callback.  

Edited by BrassMom33

1 hour ago, BrassMom33 said:

What section are the 14 year olds in? My son is there and my husband is with him. My husband has not seen or heard about any 14 year olds. There is a 16 year old trumpet vet that already has a contract and a 15 year old baritone player that is there for his second callback.  

This still worries me as a Madison fan about even a 15 year old or 16 year old competing against the higher tier.  I'd love to know right now how many young students like this are in BD, Bloo, Crown, and Santa Clara.  I know from listening to George Hopkins talk pre-audition that it is rare that Cadets will even take someone that young because they are concerned about what the young students bodies would be put through.  They have done it but he said it would have to be an extremely talented individual.

I am definitely not bashing Madison because I'm a huge fan.  I'd just love for them to get back to the upper tier where the older students want to come and stay there and compete with the "big boys' every year.

23 minutes ago, Pit Dad said:

This still worries me as a Madison fan about even a 15 year old or 16 year old competing against the higher tier.  I'd love to know right now how many young students like this are in BD, Bloo, Crown, and Santa Clara.  I know from listening to George Hopkins talk pre-audition that it is rare that Cadets will even take someone that young because they are concerned about what the young students bodies would be put through.  They have done it but he said it would have to be an extremely talented individual.

I am definitely not bashing Madison because I'm a huge fan.  I'd just love for them to get back to the upper tier where the older students want to come and stay there and compete with the "big boys' every year.

I could probably count on one hand how many under 19 they have in BD (if I was in the corps).   It is more common for Crown and Bluecoats to take younger players.  I dont think it is very common in those corps either though tbh.

All of this, is from what Ive heard.  I  I dont know anything about SCV.  

1 hour ago, BoaDci said:

I could probably count on one hand how many under 19 they have in BD (if I was in the corps).   It is more common for Crown and Bluecoats to take younger players.  I dont think it is very common in those corps either though tbh.

All of this, is from what Ive heard.  I  I dont know anything about SCV.  

From what I've heard about Crown this year, I would say it is about the same age range as BD.

13 minutes ago, Pit Dad said:

From what I've heard about Crown this year, I would say it is about the same age range as BD.

Yep, I have heard similar lots of really talented people getting cut.  I thought maybe more were getting in though, thats a little saddening.

Edited by BoaDci

46 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

Yep, I have heard similar lots of really talented people getting cut.  I thought maybe more were getting in though, thats a little saddening.

It's getting tougher and tougher for these students every year!  The talent level is just unbelievable at the top.