Madison Scouts 2017

3 hours ago, Pit Dad said:

I know from listening to George Hopkins talk pre-audition that it is rare that Cadets will even take someone that young because they are concerned about what the young students bodies would be put through.  They have done it but he said it would have to be an extremely talented individual.

But it does happen.

I just came back from the camp site and I realized a mistake was made, they have one 15 year old, a vets who I was staying with gave me the wrong info last night.   To be honest, I was actually excited to hear the Scouts having some younger kids because I see no reason why they should be rejected based on their age if they're capable, something I experienced back in the day.

But one thing I will say is, their opener is a home run and the ballad is unbelievably emotionally driven!  The opener is really intense and the shaping of the balled reminded me a lot of 91/95 BD's ballad!  This is show in my opinion, have a deep Madison root within.  

Their brass caption head is pretty awesome and was doing a great job running the rehearsal, over all very efficient and effective.  I think you guys will be in for a surprise!!!  Also they have a new group of marching staff with plenty of experience from another world group and they have been working the kids hard to clean up their feet.  From what I have seen, you'll guys will be in for a treat!  

I have always wondered about the rehearsal schedule of the Mid West and East Coast groups during winter.  West Coast groups are some what spoiled with the nice weather they have.  And eye opening experience.

Edited by Vance
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Vance said:

I just came back from the camp site and I realized a mistake was made, they have one 15 year old, a vets who I was staying with gave me the wrong info last night.   To be honest, I was actually excited to hear the Scouts having some younger kids because I see no reason why they should be rejected based on their age if they're capable, something I experienced back in the day.

But one thing I will say is, their opener is a home run and the ballad is unbelievably emotionally driven!  The opener is really intense and the shaping of the balled reminded me a lot of 91/95 BD's ballad!  This is show in my opinion, have a deep Madison root within.  

Their brass caption head is pretty awesome and was doing a great job running the rehearsal, over all very efficient and effective.  I think you guys will be in for a surprise!!!  Also they have a new group of marching staff with plenty of experience from another world group and they have been working the kids hard to clean up their feet.  From what I have seen, you'll guys will be in for a treat!  

I have always wondered about the rehearsal schedule of the Mid West and East Coast groups during winter.  West Coast groups are some what spoiled with the nice weather they have.  And eye opening experience.

19 hours ago, Vance said:

It's a mesmerizing experience!  

Please answer this question honestly: 

If they decide to use your horns, will you be allowed to tell us?

1 hour ago, BoaDci said:

19 hours ago, Vance said:

It's a mesmerizing experience!  

Please answer this question honestly: 

If they decide to use your horns, will you be allowed to tell us?

Not without permission from the corps at this point, either way.

The organization is not looking for any info to be spilled without them knowing what it is at this point, from what I've heard directly.

Edited by tesmusic

5 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

Not without permission from the corps at this point, either way.

The organization is not looking for any info to be spilled without them knowing what it is at this point, from what I've heard directly.

Thanks for the info.

On 1/21/2017 at 2:43 PM, BoaDci said:

I could probably count on one hand how many under 19 they have in BD (if I was in the corps).   It is more common for Crown and Bluecoats to take younger players.  I dont think it is very common in those corps either though tbh.

All of this, is from what Ive heard.  I  I dont know anything about SCV.  

My younger marcher was interested in trying for SCV this year, but the packet of information we received said you had to be 18.  Bummer!  I'd say that while having younger kids on upper tier corps might be rare, it shouldn't be impossible.  There is some serious talent out there and at times, it may come from a 16/17 year old.  If they are willing to put in the time, why not let 'em have it!

Edited by DCIat14

1 minute ago, DCIat14 said:

My younger marcher was interested in trying for SCV this year, but the packet of information we received said you had to be 18.  Bummer!  I'd say that while having younger kids on upper tier corps might be rare, it shouldn't be impossible.  There is some serious talent out there and at times, it may come from a 16/17 year old.  If they are willing to put in the time, why not let 'em have it!

Could be that their admin decided that all members of the corps need to be legal adults. Might have a large impact on supervision needs and contractual requirements with the member..

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DCIat14 said:

Im sure Its not impossible.  I would actually argue that its BETTER  to take younger guys.  Im sure you know how hard it is to make SCV, but I recently heard a story about a guy who got a contract offer from Cadets.  After he made Cadets he went to SCV to audition, and didnt even make callbacks...

• Like 1