Madison Scouts 2017

38 minutes ago, brassdude6171 said:

Easy there Brasso. I think a better comparison for the NFL uniforms changing would be like if an NFL team started wearing uniforms that better fit the Arena Football League. The NFL is perfectly comparable to DCI in that it is the highest level of competition in their respective departments. Also, fun fact: both the NFL and DCI compete on football fields.

Easy there brassdude6171...The NFL has undergone relatively few changes in its sport compared to Drum Corps changes since 1972. I make no judgement evaluation with this comment, just an observatiion assessment. The principal instrument of competition in the NFL ( football ) is still the same texture, size, weight, dimension, shape, today as it was in 1972. The principal instruments of competitiion today in Drum Corps, good, bad, or indifferent is wholly unlike in all manner the principal instruments of Drum Corps competition ( brass, percussion, guard) in 1972. Everything is degrees of change here, as change of course is inevitable. The uniforms of the NFL teams of today are somewhat unlike those of the NFL of 1972. The uniforms of the DCI Corps of 2016 are wholly unlike the uniforms of the Corps of 1972. Again, I make no judgmental evaluation on this massive change as to which is " better ", as that is not what I am referring too here.  I only make the observation assessment that it is folly to attempt to compare the changes that the NFL has undergone since 1972 and that of what the NFL has in 2016. When an NFL football team changes its uniform, it is acceptable to most NFL fans as the change is viewed in its proper context of a simple uniform change. However, if the uniform change is considered too drastic from what went before, it would bring angst on the part of its fanbase. However, such a uniform change can be withstood by the franchise and its fanbase provided that the football utilized on the football field in competition is still relatively the same texture, size, weight, and so forth. HOWEVER, if the change in an NFL football teams uniforms are coupled with a change in the principal instrument of competition ( the football ) in tandem, they'd be riots at NFL stadiums, imo. So when someone does an analogy, the analogy can be looked at in the broader context of a simple NFL uniform change. In the broader context, the NFL would lose lots of former NFL football fans as well if they attempted to alter the landscape to the levels that DCI Drum Corps have implemented with their DEGREE of change in its " sport ". When we look at the degree of overall change, comparing the NFL with DCI is not a good analogy to make, imo.  Thats my story.. and I'm stickin' to it... haha!

Edited by BRASSO

50 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Easy there brassdude6171...The NFL has undergone relatively few changes in its sport compared to Drum Corps changes since 1972. I make no judgement evaluation with this comment, just an observatiion assessment. The principal instrument of competition in the NFL ( football ) is still the same texture, size, weight, dimension, shape, today as it was in 1972. The principal instruments of competitiion today in Drum Corps, good, bad, or indifferent is wholly unlike in all manner the principal instruments of Drum Corps competition ( brass, percussion, guard) in 1972. Everything is degrees of change here, as change of course is inevitable. The uniforms of the NFL teams of today are somewhat unlike those of the NFL of 1972. The uniforms of the DCI Corps of 2016 are wholly unlike the uniforms of the Corps of 1972. Again, I make no judgmental evaluation on this massive change as to which is " better ", as that is not what I am referring too here.  I only make the observation assessment that it is folly to attempt to compare the changes that the NFL has undergone since 1972 and that of what the NFL has in 2016. When an NFL football team changes its uniform, it is acceptable to most NFL fans as the change is viewed in its proper context of a simple uniform change. However, if the uniform change is considered too drastic from what went before, it would bring angst on the part of its fanbase. However, such a uniform change can be withstood by the franchise and its fanbase provided that the football utilized on the football field in competition is still relatively the same texture, size, weight, and so forth. HOWEVER, if the change in an NFL football teams uniforms are coupled with a change in the principal instrument of competition ( the football ) in tandem, they'd be riots at NFL stadiums, imo. So when someone does an analogy, the analogy can be looked at in the broader context of a simple NFL uniform change. In the broader context, the NFL would lose lots of former NFL football fans as well if they attempted to alter the landscape to the levels that DCI Drum Corps have implemented with their DEGREE of change in its " sport ". When we look at the degree of overall change, comparing the NFL with DCI is not a good analogy to make, imo.  Thats my story.. and I'm stickin' to it... haha!

And my story was just going at your comment about NFL moving toward WGI uniforms. Instead of comparing NFL and WGI, it'd be much easier to see a similar relation between NFL and Arena FL the way there is a relation between DCI and WGI. That is all.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, brassdude6171 said:

And my story was just going at your comment about NFL moving toward WGI uniforms. Instead of comparing NFL and WGI, it'd be much easier to see a similar relation between NFL and Arena FL the way there is a relation between DCI and WGI. That is all.

Not sure I buy the DCI --> WGI statement.  WGI uniforms are designed for a entirely different venue which imposes a number of  different design characteristics.  (It's indoor, under artificial lights, on a painted/printed floor, and judged from a short distance).  When people say "WGI" style,  perhaps what they really mean is "non-traditional".  

But in any case, the NFL argument holds water.  NFL fans are loyal to their teams uniform (although the NFL marketing guys have been messing with "alternate" uniforms just to sell more merchandise).  

Even more generally..

Sports fans have a loyalty to the uniform of their teams.  Many don't like it when it's changed.  Same with some DCI fans.  

All the other stuff is just noise and distraction.  Better to just ignore it (because there's certainly no reasoning with it),

• Like 1

Reportedly ,The New York Jets are going to have new uniforms for 2017. Thats the good news. The bad news for NY Jets fans is that they will still suck in whatever uniforms they choose to put on.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kamarag said:

It's no different than being a fan of a sports franchise. If your team changes the uniforms and you stop supporting them, you not a fan. That's not an exaggeration. I doubt any dedicated fan of an NFL team will stop watching games because the team changes the uniform (and they do, often).

It's not gate-keeping, Brasso. 

My favorite baseball, hockey & football teams have all had the same uniform for 30+ years.

So much talk of uniforms but similar to the Jets (except for kind of the opposite) whatever uniform Madison, and all the corps this summer, are in they're gonna be great!

1 hour ago, FlamMan said:

My favorite baseball, hockey & football teams have all had the same uniform for 30+ years.

Some teams, some sports have not changed anything in their uniforms in half a century... and yet despite this, they have more fans today at their games each season than half a century ago. So this analogy on sports teams change of uniforms and DCI's change of uniforms does not quite make the compelling case its advocates would wish it too, FlamMan.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

Reportedly ,The New York Jets are going to have new uniforms for 2017. Thats the good news. The bad news for NY Jets fans is that they will still suck in whatever uniforms they choose to put on.

Hey Pats fan. DCP doesn't allow political discussions,

Sorry to DEFLATE you sez this NYer who likes both his teams.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Hey Pats fan. DCP doesn't allow political discussions,

Sorry to DEFLATE you sez this NYer who likes both his teams.

Good point. I will never mention the NFL on here ever again.

Nor even the name " Roger Goodell".

Now back to the 2017 Madison Scouts..............

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Some teams, some sports have not changed anything in their uniforms in half a century... and yet despite this, they have more fans today at their games each season than half a century ago. So this analogy on sports teams change of uniforms and DCI's change of uniforms does not quite make the compelling case its advocates would wish it too, FlamMan.

Yup.

• Like 3