Madison Scouts 2017

2 minutes ago, cowtown said:

The music seems almost as much as a departure as the costumes

They should use the fleur de lis as the gold symbol on top of the pike at the start of the show and then for the death battle, have someone in an old Madison Uniform get killed. Scalp the aussie, march to the temple and change the gold symbol to what they have now.

Too much?

Perfect. But the gold symbol is the Fluer-de-lis....just a tribal looking one. 

Relampago was also a big departure and big change. Some would say, the jump the shark moment. Change for change sake is, sometimes, just change. I hope this season's big change has a much happier outcome. 

• Like 3

Relampago was too corny to ever work, and the show never came remotely close to being cleaned up as a result. They were almost laughed out of every show they did, as far as I remember. This change seems far from corny, much darker and probably a bit more mature than Relampago was. Relampago was a change that could never have worked under any circumstances for Madison, while this one certainly has much better odds. 

• Like 1

I love the usage of the trombones, especially in the Bartok and the Husa.   Hornline and percussion seem very strong, and I'm not a guard expert but they seem more solid/better utilized than last year IMO.  They have a great drill writer and visual team too so I'm excited to see the show from a high angle.

I still see and hear Madison Scouts in there, it's more understated and subtle.  

If anything what it is right now is a solid foundation for them to build upon as the season progresses as opposed to last year where the show almost felt done from day one.   I say go grittier, angrier, etc. to really bring it to life.   I see more potential/enjoy it more than at least a few of the shows currently scoring ahead of them.    Looking forward to seeing this from up top on Friday.   

• Like 3

Anybody know the last time Madison didn't use trumpet screamers in a show? Watching this earlier today made me realize not only that there are no screamers, but also only one featured brass solo or small ensemble of any kind (the unamplified small ensemble in the closer). It was actually pretty refreshing, to be honest.

EDIT: After doing some research, I now know the answer to my question: 2013.

Edited by Cadevilina Crown
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, SFZFAN said:

Reset didn't need to include dropping the iconic uniform for the sloppy looking costume. This show would be better visually if the corps proper was in last year's uniform and just the guard in the silly costumes. 

I disagree. The current uniform fits the theme, and it is so meticulously designed and made. Really great uniforms.

• Like 4

Just now, henry7184 said:

I disagree. The current uniform fits the theme, and it is so meticulously designed and made. Really great uniforms.

I respectfully disagree with your opinion. It's OK - I'm an old fart. I started losing interest in DCI when they allowed synthesizers and it's been all downhill since then for me. I suppose it's inevitable that I'll eventually stop following it. 

39 minutes ago, SFZFAN said:

I respectfully disagree with your opinion. It's OK - I'm an old fart. I started losing interest in DCI when they allowed synthesizers and it's been all downhill since then for me. I suppose it's inevitable that I'll eventually stop following it. 

I'm fine with the musical instrument changes, narration (although I don't like it), signing (although I absolutely hate it) and synthesizers. What I struggle with is the lack of musical developing in the horn book, and today's drill (messy and not readable). I do applaud the Scouts for playing the game. Last year was a disaster. As Madison learned last year, you have to play the game. Unfortunately for Regiment I think that's the tough lesson they are going to learn this year.

• Like 2

Ok, FINALLY got to see the show via YouTube.

I really think this is going to either be a big swing & a miss for Madison, or a serious home run. It all depends on where the staff takes this show throughout the next two months.

Right now, I love the foundation, but from the performance I watched, none of the members seem to be selling it or 100% on board and confident in their jarring direction shift just yet (yet being the key word). The bones of the show are there, and with some tweaking and fleshing out of a lot of the ideas that currently exist, this could be something intensely special and memorable for the Scouts. I actually *REALLY* loved the music book, despite a lack of melody or exposed small groups/soloists, as mentioned in previous posts. The opening Husa statements are totally great, just not being performed with their written intent yet (to my ear). Bartok's Miraculous Mandarin meanders a bit for now, but that is SUCH a cool piece of music and this arrangement has real potential. Doesn't sound like the performers know what to do with that section yet though. And those crunchy, dissonant chords in the return of Music for Prague in the closer...man. That already gave me chills, and that passion in the closer is what makes me think they have the collective stones to eventually embrace this show and sell it like crazy.

But....it's not there yet. Here's my opinion, not that it matters: if the staff tries to keep this one under control, not venturing too far outside of the established drum corps game, this will become a failed experiment. On the other hand, if they proceed forward tossing caution to the wind, ditch every presupposition about what they "should" be doing to get back into Saturday night, and just go grittier, dirtier, darker, more primal, intensely visceral, and wrap themselves up in this show, I believe it will be a wild hit that audiences will love and embrace and that will set the Scouts up for a nice next couple years (oh, and easily land them back on the Saturday night roster). 

But I only see hints of that now. Ok, Scouts, you've got our attention. You've taken huge risks this season, and now is no time to keep a couple toes in the safety zone. Throw the playbook out the window and just grow this nasty, primeval, visceral show into something totally unique to your corps this year, a show that is whispered about and that people can't wait to see to confirm what they've been hearing rumors about. *THAT* will reclaim your organization's pride and uniqueness after such a down year last season. But really, there can't be a single thing half-hearted about this show.

• Like 7

As Jake W said they need to sell the product more and they will. The corps is young but once they get a grip on the show the design team can start to produce more and it will take off. Overall, this show is a step in the right direction for the scouts and it should interesting to see where the design team takes this for the rest of the summer.