Madison Scouts 2017

I have two thoughts about the 2017 Madison Scouts, their uniform, and their production for the season:

(1) This show is absolutely horrendous.  In fact, it is so horrendous that it motivated me to make this screen name and post on this forum.  This is something I have not felt the urge to do as strongly as I do now for the entirety that I have read this forum.  I have followed this forum anonymously for over a decade beginning while I was participating in the activity and continuing after I aged out.  This show reminds of the travesty that was 2009's Relámpago, which was my last year with the Scouts.  At least with Relámpago there was some enjoyable music for the audience to hear.  The selection this year is so disjointed and lacking effect that it does not allow for a coherent visual program to support it.  At least the battery and front ensemble seem to be decent.  The hornline, on the other hand, sounds horrible.  The guard seems about par for the course with the last few years; I saw drops in the run I viewed, but it wasn't atrocious for early season execution.

(2) The uniforms do not work at all, are super muddy amongst each other from up top, and blend in with the field.  Moreover, they are borderline appropriation of Native American imagery with the headpiece that mimics a headdress; particularly once you see any of the thematic descriptions of "tribe" they are using in their show branding across all media platforms.  This is a major issue, and something I hope does not plague them too greatly.  I am amazed that this was overlooked in early design reviews.  However, I must admit that I am not too surprised seeing as Peterson himself used to wear a t-shirt with a proverb on it that was supposedly a Cree proverb on tour all the time....only it is not actually a Cree proverb; it is a proverb introduced by (white) environmentalists in the late twentieth century, so, ironically, the administrative staff of the Scouts have been mistakenly appropriating Native American ideas and imagery for some time now seeing as Peterson marched in the late nineties and returned to staff in the late two-thousands.

I really hope the Scouts can survive this administration, but each year since 2009 (with a few exceptions) has shown their lack of overall ability to lead this corps in the present and into the future.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ndkbass said:

I really hope the Scouts can survive this administration, but each year since 2009 (with a few exceptions) has shown their lack of overall ability to lead this corps in the present and into the future.

We will see, but this show is a MUCH better vehicle than last year, and their hornline is beating Crossmen and Blue Stars, so they are pretty good. Can't argue with much of what you said, but it's modern drum corps. I expect them to be back in finals this year.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

We will see, but this show is a MUCH better vehicle than last year, and their hornline is beating Crossmen and Blue Stars, so they are pretty good. Can't argue with much of what you said, but it's modern drum corps. I expect them to be back in finals this year.

I hope they are every year, and I still feel the pain and confusion from 2002 when I was just a youngster sitting in the stands and they finished at semis.  I find it funny that 2002 bothers me more than the two semi-finalist years (2007 and 2009) I marched!

As a Native American, I don't see their uniform representing any particular tribe in the US.  However, I do see a resemblance to Maya and Aztec cultures.  The Scouts are increasing their scores and appear to have the potential to do pretty well this year.  I do wish them the best of luck.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, ndkbass said:

I have two thoughts about the 2017 Madison Scouts, their uniform, and their production for the season:

(1) This show is absolutely horrendous.  In fact, it is so horrendous that it motivated me to make this screen name and post on this forum.  This is something I have not felt the urge to do as strongly as I do now for the entirety that I have read this forum.  I have followed this forum anonymously for over a decade beginning while I was participating in the activity and continuing after I aged out.  This show reminds of the travesty that was 2009's Relámpago, which was my last year with the Scouts.  At least with Relámpago there was some enjoyable music for the audience to hear.  The selection this year is so disjointed and lacking effect that it does not allow for a coherent visual program to support it.  At least the battery and front ensemble seem to be decent.  The hornline, on the other hand, sounds horrible.  The guard seems about par for the course with the last few years; I saw drops in the run I viewed, but it wasn't atrocious for early season execution.

(2) The uniforms do not work at all, are super muddy amongst each other from up top, and blend in with the field.  Moreover, they are borderline appropriation of Native American imagery with the headpiece that mimics a headdress; particularly once you see any of the thematic descriptions of "tribe" they are using in their show branding across all media platforms.  This is a major issue, and something I hope does not plague them too greatly.  I am amazed that this was overlooked in early design reviews.  However, I must admit that I am not too surprised seeing as Peterson himself used to wear a t-shirt with a proverb on it that was supposedly a Cree proverb on tour all the time....only it is not actually a Cree proverb; it is a proverb introduced by (white) environmentalists in the late twentieth century, so, ironically, the administrative staff of the Scouts have been mistakenly appropriating Native American ideas and imagery for some time now seeing as Peterson marched in the late nineties and returned to staff in the late two-thousands.

Wow lame review. I disagree. also I'm pretty sure you brought up the same appropriating view on a more exclusive page and that idea was shut down there too. Your trying awfully hard to push that narrative. 

Edited by Runitagain
  • Like 5

Yeah, I disagree with that review for sure!