Madison Scouts 2017

19 hours ago, Old VA said:

Fair enough, But do they stay with this theme or search for a new direction. This is not gaining any ground, as of yet, anyways.

This is true, but the competition is improving massively year on year as well.  Sometimes you just need to stop falling before you can get back up.  Madison *is* better this year, whether they're still in the same competitive grouping or not.  (And artistically for me, this year's show is so much more interesting and entertaining than last year's.)

Mike

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Old VA said:

Mid July, already 10 points behind. Fighting for a spot in finals. Is that Madison's roll now? #### they have settled for a #### sandwich. Is this the same program director as last years believe the hype show?

Already 10 points behind? Why is there always an expectation from Madison fans that the corps should be competing for a championship? I know they have one under their belt, but they aren't exactly historically challenging for the title. 

Just think that expectation in particular is a little too much. Being in finals and even the top 7, I understand. 

11 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Already 10 points behind? Why is there always an expectation from Madison fans that the corps should be competing for a championship? I know they have one under their belt, but they aren't exactly historically challenging for the title. 

Just think that expectation in particular is a little too much. Being in finals and even the top 7, I understand. 

Madison won in 1975 and 1988, both before you were born probably.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Madison won in 1975 and 1988, both before you were born probably.

Oops, not sure how I forgot about the first one. Must be because I listen to that 1988 show so much :whistle:

45 minutes ago, Old VA said:

Mid July, already 10 points behind. Fighting for a spot in finals. Is that Madison's roll now? #### they have settled for a #### sandwich. Is this the same program director as last years believe the hype show?

THE 

:89_clap:

MADISON

SCOUTS

WILL

BE

FINE!!!

• Like 4

I have to admit that I still have some mixed feelings about this show.  After my first viewing, I was feeling kind of, 'meh' about it, but after the Minnesota viewing, I was much more impressed, however, I'll admit I'm not exactly enamored with the music choices.  The closer, however, still leaves me with a bit of the 'meh' feeling though.  Not to sound like I'm trolling, but I am curious as to how tesmusic is viewing this year's production.  He has been one of the Scouts most ardent supporters and defenders on this forum, yet has remained virtually silent over this year's show.  I would be interested in his honest assessment of what is going on here.  I'm a long-time fan and follower of the Scouts and would love to see them contend for a title once more, but I'm not sure this direction is necessarily going to get them there.  We can only wait and see.

On 7/9/2017 at 11:30 AM, BlueByYou2000 said:

Any idea how that small gap behind BS from Thursday turned into a big gap last night? Did Madison have a bad Run? BS have a great run?

Look at the panels . New judges score higher than older ones.  Just something I've noticed. 

Been wondering if it was worth it to sell off their traditional identity to move up one place or even keep their same place as last year. They look and sound better than last year but I enjoyed that show more. They are not getting the Mad crowd love they are use too. Being modern isn’t necessarily the path to being better, maybe other changes need to be made? Not for me to answer but interesting to observe.

• Like 1

I mentioned this over in the Voice Over thread, but if there's ever a show that actually *needed* narration, this one is it.  Dark and gritty, pretty much take the monologues from Mad Max: Fury Road and set up each segment for us.  Earlier in the season someone said the show was too "clean" for them based on the concept, and I have to agree - the music doesn't entirely match the visual.  It's too smooth and too bright in spots (I know the source material.  I said "in spots.").  It almost feels like there's an entire layer of electronics, with sound effects, dark synths, voices, that just hasn't been added yet, but should be.  Heck, the battery should be using every metal effect ever used on the field in this one show! 

This is an awesome concept they're working with - one of my favorites this year, actually - but they've got to turn the theater on it up to 11, I think.

Mike

• Like 2

Really like the theme, the look, and a lot of the drill. Much more interesting to me than 2016. Some of the music is good, too. Much of the music went too abstract for me. (Isn't some of it original composition for the show? That sort of thing always worries me, because I suspect the audience for custom arrangements is not just judges but music gurus someone hopes to impress. The rest of us just sit and suffer.)

Just as The Cavaliers haven't yet fully exploited their My Way ending, Scouts don't seem to have yet exploited the "last man standing" potential at the end. One guard member suddenly fighting it out with a horn player... Nah. That isn't working. Got to be bigger.

Overall - and I'm repeating from earlier posts - I think the Scouts leaders have done something bold reasonably well. Really wish the scores were higher, of course.  But the corps deserves some patience.

• Like 2