Madison Scouts 2017

Has Madison ever done a big band jazz show that features tunes from the American jazz songbook? I'm thinking like Cole Porter, Johnny Mercer, Rogers&Hart? Something similar to the Sinatra shows Dutchboy did back in late 80s - but also Madison's City of Angels shows -

I know a big band/Sinatra show sounds incredibly old school, but if they could pull of the music, have a great guard and then add a unique visual twist, I think it might work --

I appreciate the Scout's commitment to remaining true to their style and roots -- that is not easy to do without doing rehash shows frequently - it's tricky to stay tied to your roots while still trying to grow musically/creatively -- The Bluecoats have done it though - they find ways to do rocking jazz but still branch out creatively --

And people - through all of this -- remember the words to the Scouts corps song:

When you walk through a storm hold your head up high....

• Like 2

To me, the Coats show musically seemed like a very in your face Madison show. High energy brass, with some great screamer soloists.

One of my friends (also a Bloo alumnus) said this to me while we were hanging out at the Chester show. "i think we stole this show from your binder" hahahahah.

• Like 1

Maybe Madison should look at what the Blueoctas did this year and come to the realization that they don't have to get too WGI'ish and have a storyline, narration, etc.

To me, the Coats show musically seemed like a very in your face Madison show. High energy brass, with some great screamer soloists.

• Like 2

Maybe Madison should look at what the Blueoctas did this year and come to the realization that they don't have to get too WGI'ish and have a storyline, narration, etc.

They had success with creating new classics in their style. Corps of brothers, 78th & madison... are both great shows of the new regime. I'm hoping they'll look into that methodology. Story, no story, doesn't matter. Just creating something new, using the Madison style seems to have been their best bets.

• Like 1

I've said in previous years that I'd love to see Scouts do something with strong, powerful and intense classical music along the lines of Gladiator. Doesn't have to be soundtrack exactly, but along those lines.

I like that idea! Or even something along the lines of "Man of Steel".

• Like 1

Just do what I've been requesting for a few years now and bring us an all-Latin show next year. I know Gold (from Open Class) did a Dia de los Muertos show this year, but I bet Madison could take that concept and run with it!

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, I love Latin shows. But a strong consensus seems to be for Scouts to do something different. Push their limits and break away from what has previously been done. Scouts have certainly made a mark with Latin shows, but I'd like something other than latin or jazz...I think Scouts could blow you away with a show that resembles Pirates from 97, PR Sparticus and the like. So many possibilities with costuming, props and all the other "stuff" that judges seemingly have to have.

• Like 1

I'd love to see the corps do a show inspired by the cultures, rhythms, and music of the Pacific Rim.

Or Snarky Puppy!

• Like 1