Madison Scouts 2017

20 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Ya think ? Maybe this is good advice on EVERYTHING related to ALL the Corps shows, themes, unis, brass, drums, guard ? .. lol!

I know. I posted just before rushing off to a lecture. My fault for not slipping out of critical thinking mode.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2017 at 8:38 PM, Liahona said:

While everyone is looking at your comment as negative...I'd like to give you a little credit...although I strongly oppose your opinion about the costumes...You are at least CONSISTENT in your opinion...EVEN when it's about the Scouts...especially about how you went on and on ad nauseum about how you hated the pajamas look on other corps over the last few seasons when different corps used them...thanks for being consistent...even when it directly affects your beloved Scouts...

Why thank you. Your attempt to both insult and compliment me in one paragraph is impressive.

On 5/1/2017 at 3:12 PM, kdaddy said:

It doesn't really matter to me what any corps wears, within reason. But I also don't see how a show is "enhanced" by a uniform similar to what the Bluecoats wore in 2016 (more comfortable, sure). 

And along those lines, maybe the default WGI-esque example of the 2016 Bluecoats is a poor one. The Bluecoats explained early season that uniforms have to be tailored to the program in a particular year, but did their uniform in 2016 do anything to enhance the program relative to the uniform from 2015? 

Why did the Bluecoats uniforms work better last year? Simple - because with the old uniforms you looked like an idiot prancing around and dancing with a toilet bowl on your head. Bluecoats were so smart to make that move. I cringe every time I see Bluecoats (old unis) and Regiment's hornlines dance and prance, because it just looks so cheesey.

On 5/2/2017 at 7:49 AM, Triple Forte said:

Sorry but I have to challenge you here. The Scouts had a very non-traditional Scouts looking uniform in 2009 and placed 15th and in 2010 the corps changed uniforms which mimicked their uniform from 1980 and played more traditional Scouts type musical and placed 10th.  They kept the uniform and musical approach and remained in the top 12 until just last year. So how did their look and sound negatively effect their competitiveness?

On topic,  I am not happy they are changing uniforms and I am not happy with some of the music they have chosen which looks to be very dark.  Hoping for the best but....

I wasn't just the look, it was everything. Whatever, disagree if you want but the Mason years were a failure IMO. They did the same thing they did at Star 1985-1989 - wrote shows beneath the talent they had, resulting in early/mid season success and finals night disappointments. I was waiting for them to take the Scouts to the next level, like the did at Star in 1990, but they never did it. 2014 was a disaster. The organization, as a whole, hasn't been forward thinking in a long long long time, and it shows in the results - music, drill, movement, dance, colorguard, uniforms - all of it. I loved the 2015 show. But, it too wasn't very forward looking. I honestly like older shows better. I think they were more entertaining and much better, but that's not the world we live in. If you want to be competitive, it's a new era.

I thought Mason played it very smart in 2010. Well designed show. Not designed to win. Designed to get them back in finals. It worked. After 2010 - stagnation. The 2015 team did a great job with that show. Again, very well designed, passed a couple corps up, and gave them their highest placement since 2005. Great achievement. 2016 was such a huge step backwards.

It's time Regiment and Scouts look to the future. Leave the past in the past. Scouts appear to be doing that, which makes me happy.

Edited by henry7184
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, henry7184 said:

Why did the Bluecoats uniforms work better last year? .

Beats me. I don't think we can say that any of the Corps uniforms worked " better " for them last summer ( including ' Coats ). If anything, the best we can conclude is that all these Corps unis that they chose for themselves last season worked " neutral " for them in their scores and placements. Corps in DCA have gone hatless in performance before too (Empire Statesmen ), and it had no effect neither up or down regarding their scores and placements from one season to the next. Blue Devils change uniforms almost every season. What duds they wore had no effect on where they placed. Cadets have finished both 1st and 30th in essentially the same attire. They changed colors, styles 2 years ago, and plummeted to their lowest placement in decades. Pioneer rarely changes unis styles and it barely moves the dial, placement wise for them.  The Oregon Crusaders went out with their most mod and progressive unis in their history last season.. and moved down in placement.  You see,there is no caption on the current judging sheets for " attire ". Only the Guard attire might have some slight effect in the scores of a Corps.. but not so much that its worth even thinking much about, imo.  All the Corps this season will live or die by their show design and their section execution. What duds they have on won't  matter with that. Same as it ever was.

Edited by BRASSO

1 hour ago, henry7184 said:

I wasn't just the look, it was everything. Whatever, disagree if you want but the Mason years were a failure IMO. They did the same thing they did at Star 1985-1989 - wrote shows beneath the talent they had, resulting in early/mid season success and finals night disappointments. I was waiting for them to take the Scouts to the next level, like the did at Star in 1990, but they never did it. 2014 was a disaster. The organization, as a whole, hasn't been forward thinking in a long long long time, and it shows in the results - music, drill, movement, dance, colorguard, uniforms - all of it. I loved the 2015 show. But, it too wasn't very forward looking. I honestly like older shows better. I think they were more entertaining and much better, but that's not the world we live in. If you want to be competitive, it's a new era.

I thought Mason played it very smart in 2010. Well designed show. Not designed to win. Designed to get them back in finals. It worked. After 2010 - stagnation. The 2015 team did a great job with that show. Again, very well designed, passed a couple corps up, and gave them their highest placement since 2005. Great achievement. 2016 was such a huge step backwards.

It's time Regiment and Scouts look to the future. Leave the past in the past. Scouts appear to be doing that, which makes me happy.

But their great leap backwards as you called 2016 was their attempt at a modern show?

It’s not the what, it’s the how

All this chatter about old music, new music, costumes, uniforms and junk…silly. It’s the context and how they are utilized and preformed

• Like 2

2 hours ago, henry7184 said:

nm............

Edited by BRASSO

4 hours ago, henry7184 said:

Why did the Bluecoats uniforms work better last year? Simple - because with the old uniforms you looked like an idiot prancing around and dancing with a toilet bowl on your head. Bluecoats were so smart to make that move. I cringe every time I see Bluecoats (old unis) and Regiment's hornlines dance and prance, because it just looks so cheesey.

Wait. There's dancing and prancing that doesn't look cheesy?

• Like 4

15 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Wait. There's dancing and prancing that doesn't look cheesy?

Exactly, in many ways I thought the lack of head gear for Coats exposed more cheese and dirt.

I think many fans (and fear many corps too) think the way to move up is to be like Bluecoats were last year, it’s a fatal trap. Bluecoats didn’t have helmets because they didn’t work sliding down the ramps so it worked for their show but to ditch head gear just because, you give up a lot and for what? To copy last years’ winning show, to jump on the bandwagon, to be part of a trend,  do you really think that’s winning design? I think it displays a lack of creativity and perhaps judgement

• Like 3