Madison Scouts 2017

Hey, the Scouts clearly grabbed the crowd tonight in Evansville. The show has probably tightened, and watching it live it looked entirely more convincing and passionate than in the video of a day ago or so. I was someone who commented the members seemed tentative in the video. Not tonight, however.

There's work to be done, but I am surprised I liked the show as much as I did. Maybe had low expectations because of DCP comments. But It's enjoyable and starting to be performed well.

And from a bigger POV, I think it's great the Scouts have done this - and I am a big fan of the traditional Scout look. But this is bold in a way that isn't just an imitation of BC, BD, and others.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, FlamMan said:

Well, since you mentioned applause, I saw the Scouts performance in Michigan City 6-25-17, & this Madison performance garnered the least amount of crowd applause & approval that I have ever seen...& it saddened me. The Madison Scouts have always been the crowds corps...a crowd favorite. That certainly isn't the case this year. I sincerely hope that the Scouts can survive this administration & what seems like a desperate sellout move to "play the game". This show needs major re-writes to make finals.  

I don't think modernizing to fit the times is selling out. What would make you happier, a 13-14 old school Madison, crowd favorite, or a bronze medalist corps. It's the latter from me. I do agree, however, that the activity as a whole is a lot more boring today. I only made it to Stanford for Academy on, and honestly, SCV was the only corps that I couldn't wait for the show to be over.

I really love the Scouts' show this year!  But I really, really love the last three minutes of the show!! 

12 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

...at times...

Snares have some fuzz for sure, but IMO the quad line is worse.  rim city from the "learn to play the music" videos.  Basses are ok but have some timing issues in the middle (mainly 3 and 4 from what I heard/saw in that same video series).  I think the percussion section has had great staff the last few years, and I really like Sparling as an arranger/caption head.  But I am biased there because I frequently stayed at his place while I was marching Rhythm X.

12 hours ago, FlamMan said:

Well, since you mentioned applause, I saw the Scouts performance in Michigan City 6-25-17, & this Madison performance garnered the least amount of crowd applause & approval that I have ever seen...& it saddened me. The Madison Scouts have always been the crowds corps...a crowd favorite. That certainly isn't the case this year. I sincerely hope that the Scouts can survive this administration & what seems like a desperate sellout move to "play the game". This show needs major re-writes to make finals.  

Agreed, the show I saw had almost no crowd reaction or very lackluster reaction which I found to be a useful metric.  Although crowd response is not the only thing that matters. For example, in 2013 Crown was so dirty, especially visually, on finals yet still won.  I would argue they did so partially because of the emotional investment and energy from the audience and almost all corners of the activity pulling for a new champion.  And while I am glad to expand the winners circle, I still have no idea how that show beat Devils on simple technical merits alone.  But hey, when I was in Devils we had a show so dissonant it turned a lot of people off, so crowd metrics should not be the end all of analysis (even when I happen to thing they do show some merit).

More to the point, I actually agree with what henry7184 says when he brings up modernization and medalling.

"I don't think modernizing to fit the times is selling out. What would make you happier, a 13-14 old school Madison, crowd favorite, or a bronze medalist corps. It's the latter from me."

I think that the attempt to engage in pushing the activity is great, and I think Scouts should, can, and always have been a part of that.  This show and costume pushing the activity outside of potential comfort spots (even for me) is one thing.  The success and or overall ability to execute the design of this show is  another.  I think it is important to make that distinction known.  My lack of enjoyment of the show and costume does not dampen or remove my happiness to see them take a bold leap forward for both Scouts and the activity as a whole.  I did enjoy the "throwback" uniform of last year, but think that the leap forward is something that speaks more to what henry7184 is getting at, and if it helps the corps improve in placement that is great.  One of the most important things that will really help attract more talent to Scouts for future iterations of the corps in today's activity is placement.  Time will tell if this pushes them to better placement or not.

P.S.  I disagree with henry7184 when he says that the activity as a whole "is more boring" today.  I think that the aesthetic palette has just evolved so much and more recently so quickly that it is presenting a package that seems to be different, and could thus be boring or bland to some.  When I was growing up, I would have never envisioned props.  By the time I finished competing they were becoming standard.  I would have also never guessed that amplification would lead to constant, unbearable overtones from synths and subwoofers.  This was something that bothered me, and still kinda does, about the sound balance of a lot of shows including my own with Devs in 2010.

14 minutes ago, ndkbass said:

P.S.  I disagree with henry7184 when he says that the activity as a whole "is more boring" today.  I think that the aesthetic palette has just evolved so much and more recently so quickly that it is presenting a package that seems to be different, and could thus be boring or bland to some.  When I was growing up, I would have never envisioned props.  By the time I finished competing they were becoming standard.  I would have also never guessed that amplification would lead to constant, unbearable overtones from synths and subwoofers.  This was something that bothered me, and still kinda does, about the sound balance of a lot of shows including my own with Devs in 2010.

For me it has nothing to do with narration, singing, trombones, narration, amps, synths, and other electronics. It has to do, primarily, with lack of sustainable melody, all the chop and bop arrangements, and hornlines playing less today. I timed them all last year (timing when more than just a soloist or small ensemble was playing), and Crossmen played for just over 5 minutes, Crown was just over 8 (which is close to back in the day). Everyone else was in between.

I mean Cavaliers are playing 9 different pieces in an 11 minute show. How can you possibly have well crafted music with that many pieces. It's not just them either. Just my opinion of course, but I don't think I will be going to any more shows. I have FloMarching this year, and I'll continue that through the season. But, maybe next year it will be cheaper to just watch videos that appear online. I was so tired Monday morning and so disappointed, as a whole, with that I saw at Stanford. Good money spent. Time lost where I could be doing something else. No enough reward for the risk going forward, I fear.

Edited by henry7184
  • Like 1

I marched Scouts in the 80s and we had a lot of success from a competitive standpoint. Having said this I have been saying for several years that the Scouts needed to do whatever was necessary to remain a relevant competitor in today's DCI. I am so thrilled that they have finally hit the reset button!!! Bravo to the staff!!!

• Like 3