swmstom

Madison Scouts 2017

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, cadet93 said:

I try to watch shows for the brass demand when I re-watch on video.  And yes it is rare to see difficult passages played while moving.  Bluecoats for instance.  They have a very entertaining show IMO, but the follow the leader snake drills, and other follow the leader isn't that demanding.  And they do generally stand still to play their features.  

All corps do it similarly now, not meaning to single out Bloo.

It's just different.  I don't think you can say one is more demanding than the other.

Agreed with today's shows for sure. Assuming you marched Cadets '93, can you really say what hornlines are doing today is more difficult than what you did? I think not.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Runitagain said:

Regardless of how one feels of this show the scouts have figuratively ripped the band aid off. The sky is no longer the limit they can perform whatever they want and wear whatever they want in the future. The only tradition that remains is brotherhood and bad assery ⬅️ Not a real word. ⚜️⚜️⚜️〽️〽️

Agreed. I hope this show bodes well for them competitively.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2017 at 0:14 PM, henry7184 said:

I mean Cavaliers are playing 9 different pieces in an 11 minute show.

I know this comment is a little old but the Cavaliers show is 13 minutes and not 11. They are using all of the new available time with no unjudged of preshow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll echo what someone said on the Muncie thread.  

I never thought a standstill performance was gonna be what sold me on this show.   Consider me sold on the musical side of things.  If they can match that intensity on the field and keep adjusting things like they did in Music for Prague this show is gonna COOK.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure a drum corps ever benefitted as much at a rained out show as Scouts did tonight!!!
Some BRAVE choices made by the design team that I think are going to pay off THIS YEAR.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, littlejaw said:

I know this comment is a little old but the Cavaliers show is 13 minutes and not 11. They are using all of the new available time with no unjudged of preshow.

So are the judges informed of the corps decision to use all the available time allotted instead of a preshow? Or does the decision come from the time keeper when the judging starts? Basically corps are allowed 13 minutes now? I knew there were rule changes but didn't know specifics. Just wondering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, oldbandguy said:

Not sure a drum corps ever benefitted as much at a rained out show as Scouts did tonight!!!
Some BRAVE choices made by the design team that I think are going to pay off THIS YEAR.

How did they benefit just out of curiosity? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, GREENBLUE said:

So are the judges informed of the corps decision to use all the available time allotted instead of a preshow? Or does the decision come from the time keeper when the judging starts? Basically corps are allowed 13 minutes now? I knew there were rule changes but didn't know specifics. Just wondering.

I think the only judge that cares about timing is the timing judge. All of the judges begin judging once the announcement has been made (that announcement is the "Performing their 2017 program Men Are From Mars, Drum Corps International is proud to present The Cavaliers!"). My understanding is that corps using the 13 minutes will have all of the announcements before the first notes.

 

e.g. Please welcome to the field from Rosemont, Illinois. The Cavaliers! Drum Major Hunter Dugie is your corps ready? *salute* Performing their 2017 program Men Are From Mars, Drum Corps International is proud to present The Cavaliers! *judging commences*

vs.

e.g. *boom boom clap begins* *the synth soloist crowdsurfs to the front* *starts playing a solo* Please welcome to the field from Ft. Mill, South Carolina. Carolina Crown! Drum Majors Preston Jake and Andre Mathis is your corps ready? *drill starts with the turning arc* *salute*  Performing their 2011 program Rach Star, Drum Corps International is proud to present Carolina Crown! *as the horns blast bohemian rhapsody* *judging commences*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, littlejaw said:

e.g. *boom boom clap begins* *the synth soloist crowdsurfs to the front* *starts playing a solo* Please welcome to the field from Ft. Mill, South Carolina. Carolina Crown! Drum Majors Preston Jake and Andre Mathis is your corps ready? *drill starts with the turning arc* *salute*  Performing their 2011 program Rach Star, Drum Corps International is proud to present Carolina Crown! *as the horns blast bohemian rhapsody* *judging commences*

Definitely not going to miss announcements in this style, although the Bluecoats did a great job the past few years by pre-recording the announcement instead of relying on a human announcer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Scouts are ahead too far to catch on the social media photography caption. 

Not sure how this FB link might work: 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.