Next Corps To Make Finals For First Time

BDB. I've joined the dark side. :muahaha:

When BDA, BDB, BDC, all make World Class Div Finals we'll know we have reached The End Times.

• Like 2

Am I the only one who thinks BDB and SCVC are completely unfair to all the other open class corps?

I think its absurd that DCI allows Pioneer to stay in the World Class Division and park themselves there in last place, each and every season like this. What value is there in this ? Their marchers do not gain anything at all in competing with Corps in a division that allows them no real compeitition to compare themselves with. If Pioneer was in the correct competition class... Open Class.... the marchers would gain, as they would have real competition that fits their stature, and would allow the Corps to compare itself too, each show, and the progress being made. Allowing the Pioneer to remain in the World Class Division only subjects this corps to last place from now until eternity, imo. There is no nobility to be found in this, from any perspective, and is completely unfair to have competitors compete each and every season in which last place becomes comfortable as a parking space to be taken up there each and every year. DCI needs to address this,... and Pioneer should not be the one to make that final decision for assigning this Corps to its most appropriate competition division for its marchers to compete in, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 6

I think its absurd that DCI allows Pioneer to stay in the World Class Division and park themselves there in last place, each and every season like this. What value is there in this ? Their marchers do not gain anything at all in competing with Corps in a division that allows them no real compeitition to compare themselves with. If Pioneer was in the correct competition class... Open Class.... the marchers would gain, as they would have real competition that fits their stature, and would allow the Corps to compare itself too, each show, and the progress being made. Allowing the Pioneer to remain in the World Class Division only subjects this corps to last place from now until eternity, imo. There is no nobility to be found in this, from any perspective, and is completely unfair to have competitors compete each and every season in which last place becomes comfortable as a parking spot to be taken up, but no more.

They get paid for WC..open-class they would not..but you make a valid point...

I think its absurd that DCI allows Pioneer to stay in the World Class Division and park themselves there in last place, each and every season like this. What value is there in this ? Their marchers do not gain anything at all in competing with Corps in a division that allows them no real compeitition to compare themselves with. If Pioneer was in the correct competition class... Open Class.... the marchers would gain, as they would have real competition that fits their stature, and would allow the Corps to compare itself too, each show, and the progress being made. Allowing the Pioneer to remain in the World Class Division only subjects this corps to last place from now until eternity, imo. There is no nobility to be found in this, from any perspective, and is completely unfair to have competitors compete each and every season in which last place becomes comfortable as a parking space to be taken up there, but no more.

Couldn't agree with you more 👍 👏🏻👏🏻

I think its absurd that DCI allows Pioneer to stay in the World Class Division and park themselves there in last place, each and every season like this. What value is there in this ? Their marchers do not gain anything at all in competing with Corps in a division that allows them no real compeitition to compare themselves with. If Pioneer was in the correct competition class... Open Class.... the marchers would gain, as they would have real competition that fits their stature, and would allow the Corps to compare itself too, each show, and the progress being made. Allowing the Pioneer to remain in the World Class Division only subjects this corps to last place from now until eternity, imo. There is no nobility to be found in this, from any perspective, and is completely unfair to have competitors compete each and every season in which last place becomes comfortable as a parking space to be taken up there each and every year. DCI needs to address this,... and Pioneer should not be the one to make that final decision for assigning this Corps to its most appropriate competition division for its marchers to compete in, imo.

OMG..please help me..I agree to a degree. I get why PIO does what they do for a number of reasons BUT I have also seen so many good staff ( some not so good also ) leave as well as MMs year after year. I suppose it is what it is if they choose to be all the things you said BUT then there's no complaining. Maybe MMS entering the activity do know this and what to expect and are ok with it but I do know the kids and staff there over the years have worked very hard with little success ( which maybe their success means something different which is fine )

It is a tough pill to swallow , working so hard.

DCI tells you if you are to good and need to move up so maybe the same should be done moving down. I have questioned several over the years who put themselves in WC and why. Maybe , false thoughts of grandeur , staff ego, etc etc but this is also year after year after year. Oh well.

I think DCI should go to an English soccer system. The top 20 corps (could be adjusted depending on the number of total corps) each year will be World Class for the next season. The remaining corps would be Open Class. This is the only fair way to reward excellence. Right now it seems we have a country club atmosphere. Members vote to allow others to join them in the club based upon some mysterious, hidden criteria. In fact, since payment is based on how many ways the pie is divided, it is in their financial interest not to allow the club to get too big. I know BDB and SCV Cadets would not be supportive of this. But if there was no other criteria for World Class inclusion other than placement ( no travel requirements), why would they turn away the extra income? If this system was in place this year, it would mean next year they would share in the income as all World Class corps do. Of course it would also mean Pioneer Spirit, Cascades and Jersey Surf would not share in the World Class revenue.

• Like 3

BDB by the end of the decade.

I'm not for automatic promotion and relegation. WC, in order to acquire those show fees, makes corps take on an aggressive touring schedule. Some OC groups are just not ready for that.

That said, the original intent for WC was for DCI to charge premium prices for a premium product, and there *was* supposed to be a periodic review to make sure a situation like Pioneer didn't happen.

Mike