Impact of Bloo's win on future show designs

or consider the front ensemble girl from Boston. I certainly noticed several pits up their expression game in the wake of her sudden fame.

it's not going to change show design, and it's not for every corps or every show, but if you heard the volume of reaction on Saturday night, or noticed the social media reactions, you've got to admit that the effort to payoff ratio of that moment makes it something for designers to consider when they go into Lucas in August.

another Wink would be tacky, but that isn't the only way to take advantage of soloists being show close-up on the big screen. design staff would be remiss if they didn't at least ask themselves if there were opportunities in this vein to be taken advantage of in their show when the jumbotron element comes into play at Finals. .

If you search the internet you will find a sign on the camera that says "WINK HERE"

Is it photo shop...is it real... :wow:

I can tell you this EVERYONE was looking for it on Saturday night...including the folks in the really good seats :silly:

A friend attending Finals with me saw someone wearing a "Wink" tee shirt already that evening, less than 48 hours after Wink One happened.

A friend attending Finals with me saw someone wearing a "Wink" tee shirt already that evening, less than 48 hours after Wink One happened.

That's hilarious!

The question on my mind is, should the effect judges ignore the Jumbotron?

And even if they're not looking at it, the surge of applause The Wink garnered can't be ignored as easily.

On the one hand, taking the up-close-and-personal shots into account offers corps a chance to express themselves, to integrate incredibly fine precision and attention to detail. As a fan I think that the large TV is interesting and depending on my seat I'll find myself watching it during certain parts of the show if it presents a better angle or view.

On the other hand, its a perspective that is out of the performing corps' hands. unless the videocasting crew agrees completely to the wishes of the corps, it is a performance element that is outside of their control.

Good points. A further quandary would be that some things that look good up close may not when seen at a distance, and vice versa.

Ooh I'd love to see BD do a super jazzy throwback next year for their 60th anniversary show

60th?

All Goodwin-original show.

Do it, Devils.

It will drop out of the top 3, but it will be glorious....

I mean, BD was founded in 1957. Unless that's a joke and it whooshed over me, or if people don't actually consider 1957 the founding year for the corps.

And their 2007 show was considered their "50th anniversary show," so...

The 2016 Bluecoats show design was awesome.. 'really enjoyed the show.... going without headgear, and the unis were different ( but I don't want the other corps for 2017 to look like Flo from the Progressive Insurance Co. ads on TV) . I'm looking forward to what the Bluecoats have in store for us in 2017 re. music, show design, unis, etc. This season for them was clever, creative and wonderful, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

Without tradition, art is a flock of sheep without a shepherd. Without innovation, it is a corpse.

Winston Churchill