Impact of Bloo's win on future show designs

Oh man no doubt. That would rival anything BC put out this year. Newbies have no idea of the musical history of BD. I would so so love to see an all out blues jazz show!

I learned that a friend of mine's band is doing a show entirely off Miles Davis' Kind of Blue album. That's the sort of thing that could make me go insane if done right.

• Like 1

I'm torn because I prefer the conceptual-type shows overall, but I tend to like the music for the more thematic/story driving shows a little better

will be fun to see what the trend is next year, especially at the top

Tried to do a drinking game every time I saw bug stomp swivel hips...that ended poorly.

• Like 1

I learned that a friend of mine's band is doing a show entirely off Miles Davis' Kind of Blue album. That's the sort of thing that could make me go insane if done right.

That and ragtime. Blue Devils might be the only corps that has the design and talent to pull off a medalist show.

I'm surprised how little blues and jazz music is used by drum corps. Imagine Blue Devils doing Q's Jook Joint!

Chuck Naffier posted a good perspective on DCI jazz a while back. To paraphrase, to truly play jazz as, well, jazz, it requires a ton of work on nuances that the judges, quite frankly, neither care about nor reward when done. Too much risk for too little reward.

Mike

• Like 4

"In art, the highest success is to be the last of your race, not the first. Anybody, almost, can make a beginning: the difficulty is to make an end--to do what cannot be bettered."

-George Bernard Shaw

I'll say that these people borrow ideas from each other all the time. Bluecoats really pioneered the use of electronics as it is today after years of trying shows with a heavy electronic influence. It didn't always work at first, but it got people excited and the judges warmed to their usage.

But there is more to it than that. And while BD has dominated the activity we haven't seen corps do shows as artsy as them. No one has tried to out-avant-garde them. Blue knights seem to be clearly inspired by aspects of prior BD shows, but no BK show ive seen is something I would say is BD'esque.

Each corps has done a good job of maintaining its identity while sortof pushing their own boundaries this season. There may be more concept shows rather than story focused, but its not like bluecoats revolutionized that type of show. Not every show has characters. Some of my favorite shows are about eliciting an emotion. There will be more concept shows because those are largely unique and diverse, rather than rehashing an old heros journey story which seems to be the basic narrative on which most DCI shows seem to be built.