Impact of Bloo's win on future show designs

I don't want to see 12 Coats knockoff shows next year!!! Loved them but let's move on.

• Like 1

I don't want to see 12 Coats knockoff shows next year!!! Loved them but let's move on.

And I don't think you will. We didn't see 12 or more Star of Indiana knockoff shows in 1994 or beyond after their legendary 93 show. We will not see it now after Bloo's legendary show. It's little things. Designers will analyze different aspects of Bluecoats' show and then try to weave some of those things into a new formula, new idea, and try to modify it and make it their own.

• Like 1

I think what Bluecoats did this year was innovative and will definitely have an impact. I still think TILT has had an impact.

That impact will not look as some might think, like a copy-cat show or something with such obvious references.

really nice write-up

• Like 1

Not sure I agree it will have much impact on other corps designs.

Electronics? Already doing that. (Although full credit to them for pushing the envelope)

Uniforms? Costuming was already here.

Ramps? Cool but not really something that can be copied (and props were already here anyway)

IMO by far the biggest change in their design philosophy is the shift from a brass-centered musical ensemble to a electronics/percussion-centered musical ensemble. And 1 out of 3 of their performances in Indy demonstrated the risks involved with such a move.

Perhaps the most copied feature of their design could be the very effective of use of "old-school charts" with modern visual design. IMO that's where their effect hit a home run. Very familiar sounding music with new visuals made audiences very comfortable with a show that they otherwise would have raised an eyebrow to.

• Like 3

Not much may be their uniforms. amps done back in 1985 to current. jumping on props done back 1990 to current etc. st. standing on props everyone has done it. Show inside the 40 everyone and those that use the hole field.

Edited by emc2

Chuck Naffier posted a good perspective on DCI jazz a while back. To paraphrase, to truly play jazz as, well, jazz, it requires a ton of work on nuances that the judges, quite frankly, neither care about nor reward when done. Too much risk for too little reward.

Mike

I think there is a certain flexibility in timing (for lack of a better term) that is viewed by most in the activity as inprecision. Perhaps that is what you are referring to as some of the nuance that misunderstood.

I hope not, I like shows with a story, but I mean of course their victory is going to change the state of DCI. The caption awards proved that GE is what you want to attack. Crown had the best "marching show" but they lost because Bloo's GE was through the roof, I think we will see more shows that use props, body, and electronics..but hopefully we never have to see another drum corps in a jump suit lol I can't wait to see the Bluecoats actually wearing coats again next year, one of my favorite uniforms.

Many of my favorite shows, like SCV 1999 or Phantom Regiment 1989, don't have stories, and drum corps isn't a medium that's highly suited for storytelling anyway (how many movies or plays manage to tell stories in eleven minutes with almost no dialogue?), so I would be glad to have fewer shows attempting that.

• Like 2