Impact of Bloo's win on future show designs

These are the areas that stood out this season that I could see other corps following...

Announcement: This was probably that latest I can ever remember a corps announcing their program. Did this really have any affect on the placements or scoring? Hard to say for sure. Not saying they waited to figure what they were doing until everyone else announced, but when you can learn about other corps' themes, repertoire, etc, it might become beneficial. Boston was first this year and fought to make finals over the Scouts who were second to announce. Cadets were 3rd and changed how much of their show? Phantom was 4th and end up dropping a spot from last year. Academy, Vanguard, and Blue Devils announced later in early May and Bluecoats in late May. This might be nothing or something, who knows at this point, but I wouldn't be surprised if more corps waited later than normal next season.

Groove: All charts had a solid groove that was easy to see everyone having fun with. Not that the other corps don't have a "groove" in their repertoire, its just that all of Bloo's did. Also, second year that the battery warm-up with a drumset instead of a dr. beat/stick clicks. Again, more groove and a percussion section that was tied with Vanguard going into Finals.

Staging: Early in the season when they would post the daily schedule you saw "Staging" listed opposed to "Visual" or "Drill" that other corps would have. Seems this concept of a stage performance with movement to and from key sets helped them to be better in the Visual caption than in previous seasons. Also, while the slides weren't anything beyond creative from a structural standpoint, the creative ways they used them to enhance the visual aspect was a fresh idea when we are used to props that are used primarily to just stand on.

Performance: The new uniform without any head-wear and the musical selections really opened up the opportunity for the MM to really get into their performances and for the audience to see that clearly. No, they weren't the only corps that ahd fun, or emoted, etc. It was just easier to see more of it. Not to mention "The Wink" and "The Wink 2.0".

• Like 4

The answer is who knows? 7 years ago we all fretted that show design would mirror BD. 23 years ago people worried everyone would look like Star 93.

Some may try to copy it. However I'll wager the truly successful may sneak parts of it and add it to what they do or create and go from there.

Cesario this year referred to Bloo as the mad scientists. Keep experimenting til you find what works, and since 14 that's what they e done

• Like 2

What y'all should be worried about, is not their influence on show design, but on when corps release their show information! What do y'all bet corps release their shows much later this year... 😳

EDIT: Oh whoops, snare_guy also covered this in his more detailed post!

Edited by Clutchtow
  • Like 1

What y'all should be worried about, is not their influence on show design, but on when corps release their show information! What do y'all bet corps release their shows much later this year...

It will be interesting to see if others take the sit-back-and-wait approach. Might be a LOOOONG offseason for us on DCP waiting in anticipation for the program releases.

• Like 1

What y'all should be worried about, is not their influence on show design, but on when corps release their show information! What do y'all bet corps release their shows much later this year... 😳

I don't see how this affected anything that happened this year except the mystery of what bluecoats were doing before the first show. All the corps know what they are doing going into that first camp. Some choose to announce then and others wait but that doesn't change what the show will be come June.

Not much may be their uniforms. amps done back in 1985 to current. jumping on props done back 1990 to current etc. st. standing on props everyone has done it. Show inside the 40 everyone and those that use the hole field.

It's not a matter of when it was first done, but how it was done. Also 1985 is not when amps came into drum corps. I think it was closer to 2005.

I don't see how this affected anything that happened this year except the mystery of what bluecoats were doing before the first show. All the corps know what they are doing going into that first camp. Some choose to announce then and others wait but that doesn't change what the show will be come June.

Oh of course, shows will be designed at the same time as usual, it's just I expect that the fans will get much less show info until much later in the off season