2017 PREDICTIONS!

9 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

I dont think Crown has had any shows in the past decade that werent strong (You COULD argue 2010, but I thought it was pretty good).

Agreed!  I'm going to be just a bit biased this year but I'm expecting good things after hearing from I've heard from the first 3 camps.

35 minutes ago, Pit Dad said:

From what I have seen and heard so far, there has been no implosion!  It's going to be another strong show from them this year.

Could be, but I was under the impression that its next to impossible, if not entirely impossible, to know how strong a Corps will be without knowing anything about what the Visuals look like, nor without watching the Guard perform.

I watched and listened to a Corps brass section ( and another Corps Percussion section ) in the offseason a couple  of years back, and thought to myself " Man, these cats might just win the Ott Award ( best brass line ), and the other the Sanford award( best Percussion award ). As it turned out, both turned out accurate. However, since I did not see the Visuals, nor the Guard, in preseason, I suppose the fact that in the end neither of these 2 Corps even medaled that season, was illustrative and enlightening to the max, that what a Brass Line or Percussion line sound like in preseason is as benefical to season predictions as watching Spring Training Baseball players hit baseballs in batting practice, and pitchers, pitch to catchers out in the outfield grass in mid February in Arizona or Florida, and thinking " how strong " they'll be when the games become real again. It wasn't that long ago that a Corps that had the best Brass Line in DCI was pretty much a lock to at least medal. But times change ( how many times have we heard this? ). So the fact that a Corps has potentially a great brass line again, is essentially meaningless now toward what they'll score and place. How many years now has SCV had a  top 1, 2 Percussion line too ? What has it gotten them in medals ?  When we see the visual show design, and the quality of the Guard, it gets my interest. Otherwise, listening to the Brass line or Percussion line play is fun and all ( and wish we had more of it ), its a yawner in terms of getting any useful insights as to whether the Corps itself will  be placement " strong again " , or not.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Pit Dad said:

Agreed!  I'm going to be just a bit biased this year but I'm expecting good things after hearing from I've heard from the first 3 camps.

That will be me as well.  I think we are going to see about the same Crown in 2017 (which isnt a bad thing).  I think they will make up for staff changes in percussion.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pit Dad said:

Indeed.  In fact I think Crown might have gotten a significant (although perhaps unanticipated) upgrade.   We shall see.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jimthetuba said:

Decently conservative, not much movement. I think that if there's gonna be conflict for top spot you gotta throw crown in there.

I'll consider that in the future. I think think Crown is best (in terms of cleanliness, musicality, technique, blah blah) but nowadays where GE wins titles I think I'd have to put BD and Coats for the 1 and 2 spot. For now...

4 hours ago, BRASSO said:

'Have no way of knowing if you're crazy or not, but your top 12 predictions are not that far off from mine at the moment. ( So maybe we're both crazy then, who knows.. haha!)

Drum Corps is crazy already, we fit right in! 

3 hours ago, mjoakes said:

Yes, you're crazy. Just like any of the rest of us trying to predict in January (or earlier). But your "throwing it out there" comment seems like you know we're just having some fun as we await more data to digest (and performances to experience). So in that spirit: Are you nuts? Madison is in and either Crossmen or Boston are out.

Yes, I was definitely pointing out the fact that a January prediction is way too early, just wanted to spicen it up a bit ;)

• Like 1

I might catch heck, but I didn't think Bluecoats was all that particularly clean in execution last season at Championships. But their show design was clever, the show flowed well, the music sound was unique and  different, and judges probably liked the fact they ditched the conventional uniforms and went shakoless. It was a unique show visually. And people did like the show too. Judges like uniqueness, especially when the top contending Corps are utilizing disparate musical instruments to produce different musical sounds, and each has different sound machines. So if you have a new bag of visual tricks, judges make the tough call on such clever things as that, imo

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, BRASSO said:

I might catch heck, but I didn't think Bluecoats was all that particularly clean in execution last season at Championnships. But their show design was clever, the show flowed well, the music sound was unique and  different, and judges probably liked the fact they ditched the conventional uniforms and went shakoless. It was a unique show visually. Judges like uniqueness, especially when the top contending Corps are utilizing disparate musical instruments to produce different musical sounds, and each has different sound machines. So if you have a new bag of tricks, judges make the tough call for on such things as that, imo

Yep.

I think Blue Knights have all the ingredients for another top 6 finish.  Show last year never quite gelled but with one that clicks they can potentially be very dangerous.  

Which begs the question of who do they knock off?   Which will not be able to be answered until we see the shows this summer.  So I'll leave my "prediction" at that. 

I agree with whoever said you might as well make the top three the top six.  It's a group that's incredibly hard to break into and you have to be really on your game to break into it.