2017 PREDICTIONS!

Carolina Crown had the best Guard in DCI last season. Some things we know, some things we don't know, and some things we can only speculate on.  For example, we can say with certainty that Crown can't finish higher in Guard this season than last season. We can speculate however if they'll have the best Guard in DCI once again this season, or perhaps slip in this caption for one reason or another. As for the Visual, CC finished 2nd last season in this Vis. Analysis Caption, so it is possible they could equal, or even surpass their excellence in the Visual Caption side this summer. But its also possible they could suffer slippage in this important caption, as 2nd is a pretty lofty place for a finish, most would have to agree. As for Music, CC still have some staff stability here, as they did not lose their highly regarded Music Arranger ( Michael Kletsch ). Percussion is always a concern at CC, as its not their calling card section. Some years they are pretty good in Percussion, but CC has had several recent years, where the Percussion was their weakest section in their Corps. So they do have some room to grow and help their other sections here, if the Guard/ Visual is not 1st/2nd in DCI, but their percussion section improves. But... DCI rewards Corps on the sheets now that have strong Guards/ Visuals. CC had this downpat, at 1st/ 2nd. Today, one can win Drums or win Brass,( which is, afterall, clearly a significant part of the " music performance" side)  and not even medal. That would be unthinkable in earlier decades, most seasons. So CC ( and Cadets, Madison, Boston and a few other Corps as well ) have had major shakeups with their key staff and key show designers this offseason. Which, imo,  just makes this summer all the more intriguing and exciting for fans !

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, CaviesFan17 said:

I just don't know how Crown is going to perform this year.

You have Blue Devils, who haven't been below 5th place since 1975. 
Blue Coats, who have become the talk of the town in the last 3 years.
Cadets, they are struggling to find an identity it seems. 
Cavaliers, who seem like they are starting to find that swag they are known for..
Santa Clara, who I feel like is always underrated as they put on spectacles of shows. 
and then you have Crown, who has, IMO, the best brass line in DCI, arguably the best guard, but had a few changes this off season. We can say it's not a big thing, but the Cavaliers went from 3rd place to 8th place in 2011-2012 due to changes. I know they were different changes, but still. This is still going to be my top 6 (not in any specific order) because I think these are the 6 best drum corps right now. I also can't predict the future though, for all we know Phantom Regiment is getting ready to blow our minds this summer. lol 

Don't forget BK, either.  They very well could surprise everyone this year and move up a notch.  The pressure in the top 6 is VERY intense.

edit:  Whoops...I just saw your prior post in which you mentioned BK.  So...you didn't forget BK.

Edited by Mycroft
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

Don't forget BK, either.  They very well could surprise everyone this year and move up a notch.  The pressure in the top 6 is VERY intense.

edit:  Whoops...I just saw your prior post in which you mentioned BK.  So...you didn't forget BK.

It's okay lol I can't wait to see what BK does this year!

Crown was actually 4th 4th 2nd in VA in Indy. It was a problem caption all season.  

Not everyone would buy into the "flashback" explanation of the stage putting time in reverse just to pick up the saloon door.  In fact the stagecoach was too far back stage the entire show which meant that the flag feature was staged between the hashes too far to the right.  And all those decisions spawned from the decision to make the coach one-sided. :doh: 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, corpsband said:

Crown was actually 4th 4th 2nd in VA in Indy. It was a problem caption all season.  

Not everyone would buy into the "flashback" explanation of the stage putting time in reverse just to pick up the saloon door.  In fact the stagecoach was too far back stage the entire show which meant that the flag feature was staged between the hashes too far to the right.  And all those decisions spawned from the decision to make the coach one-sided. :doh: 

Something I brought up this past summer that I got crucified for.......

Edited by DrumManTx

3 minutes ago, corpsband said:

agreed - I personally felt the visual design (especially the drill) so the talent of the corps short - and the staging left some incredible moments lost out in left field

I also felt the uniforms really blended into the turf (especially in Indy) too much - I actually prefer to watch the show in out of uniform run thru version on video - really pops more

• Like 1

I didn't name anyone, I just remember bringing up the guard staging at the end of Roxanne and people not liking what I said.  

Considering they won guard and were 2/3 with BD all of championships in GE it obviously didn't matter a ton.  

Edited by DrumManTx

20 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

agreed - I personally felt the visual design (especially the drill) so the talent of the corps short - and the staging left some incredible moments lost out in left field

I also felt the uniforms really blended into the turf (especially in Indy) too much - I actually prefer to watch the show in out of uniform run thru version on video - really pops more

The thing the bothered me about it was that it was easy to foresee before the first set was taught.  If the coach has been finished on both sides,  it would have been trivial to route it differently.  But they committed to never making a turn by making it one-sided.  

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1