2017 PREDICTIONS!

Yeah, its never easy to pick placements... especially in preseason where all these staffs have not even put the field drill to the music on the field as of yet..... As for the Blue Stars, I was fortunate to have heard some ever so  brief music clips of a couple of their show songs awhile back, and to their credit the brass line sounded lush to my ears for such an early juncture. But yeah, its sort of difficult for anyone to be making claims on placements at this preseason stage of the preseason with no guards and no visuals, on the practice fields even taking place yet..

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

Just now, Eleran said:

I predict that I will be unhappy with a lot of corps' spandex uniforms and pretentious show designs.

the only saving grace to these mistakes will be that the uniforms are much less expensive than traditionally constructed uniforms.  they're not quite disposable, but they're not long term investments either.  

21 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Then who falls out of Finals in your prediction ? Boston ? Academy ?  Crossmen ? or some other Corps ?

Based on the numbers, I'd say Crossmen would be the ones in the 13th spot.

Over the past 3 years they've been 12th, 12th, and 11th in GE. The over placement rarely strays too far from that ranking. 

51 minutes ago, snare_guy_83 said:

Over the past 3 years they've been 12th, 12th, and 11th in GE. The over placement rarely strays too far from that ranking. 

Maybe...who knows... they sure get a lot of campers though. I saw a video of one of their camps this off season and they had enough brass in line to fill up 3 Open Class Corps brass lines. 25 tubas or something, and what looked like over 100 brass in total. Sure, lots of them probably won't make a spot in the Crossmen's brass line for this summer, but the Crossmen sure as heck don't lack for brass numbers in their brass audition process, thats for sure.

Edited by BRASSO

2 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Maybe...who knows... they sure get a lot of campers though. I saw a video of one of their camps this off season and they had enough brass in line to fill up 3 Open Class Corps brass lines.

This does not surprise me. I remember when I was in high school I wanted to audition for this corps. I felt like it would have been a good learning experience and SA is not terribly far from Houston. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, snare_guy_83 said:

I don't see Crossmen dropping out of finals based solely on the extremely evident quality of their performers last season  Very mature and polished compared to their nearby competitors.  Unless they really mess up on design,  I don't see the Crossmen moving from their placement.  If anything,  they could be taking a step up in the rankings.    It's a very strong team down there.  

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, corpsband said:

I don't see Crossmen dropping out of finals based solely on the extremely evident quality of their performers last season  Very mature and polished compared to their nearby competitors.  Unless they really mess up on design,  I don't see the Crossmen moving from their placement.  If anything,  they could be taking a step up in the rankings.    It's a very strong team down there.  

Crossmen dropping out would be surprising

Growing group of vets returning plus incredible winter tryouts doesn't sound too vunerable to me

Brass line program really maturing - with some great pedigree on that team

This year they should be able to write a tougher program as well

And as you mention the team is very strong

Academy and Blue Stars are more vunerable IMO - depends on the programs in 13-15th and how well they come together this summer

1 hour ago, corpsband said:

the only saving grace to these mistakes will be that the uniforms are much less expensive than traditionally constructed uniforms.  they're not quite disposable, but they're not long term investments either.  

close to it - about 2 x a typical guard uniform for corps proper anymore with the spandex plus overlay approach - headgear etc drives it up a bit but it is quite affordable

top corps can easily afford the base and then alter it for 2-3 seasons for the show concept

3 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

top corps can easily afford the base and then alter it for 2-3 seasons for the show concept

top corps being the key word.  annual budgets rapidly scale down as you leave the top 6.   depending on how a corps has arranged their uniform renewal cycle,  the switch to printed lycra / spandex may or may not make a lot of sense.  

the other item to consider is durability.  how many uniforms need to be repaired over the season?   do you have to keep more uniforms in-stock because the damage is often not repairable by the sewing moms?  

lastly form-fitting uniforms can be  a challenge.  

will corps choose to use the guideline "this uniform makes ALL of our members look good" or will we see kids unable to march due to body type?  

imo the issue is bigger than dollars and cents. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, corpsband said:

top corps being the key word.  annual budgets rapidly scale down as you leave the top 6.   depending on how a corps has arranged their uniform renewal cycle,  the switch to printed lycra / spandex may or may not make a lot of sense.  

the other item to consider is durability.  how many uniforms need to be repaired over the season?   do you have to keep more uniforms in-stock because the damage is often not repairable by the sewing moms?  

lastly form-fitting uniforms can be  a challenge.  

will corps choose to use the guideline "this uniform makes ALL of our members look good" or will we see kids unable to march due to body type?  

imo the issue is bigger than dollars and cents. 

agreed - hoping this works out for folks as well as it has (in most cases) indoors

the less $$$ corps need to have a base uniform that they can alter for about 3-5 years for the show theme 

if you haven't seen the Cadets plan it is quite different to say the least lol