2017 PREDICTIONS!

31 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

Ok one more.  

14th - Mandarins

I did like their show in 2016. Their 2015  Mandatrins production was very underrated in my opinion. I LOVED that show from them, especially the percussion parts.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

I'm certainly open to Carolina Crown proving me wrong but they lost EVERYTHING on the visual side of things.  Rant and rave about brass all you want but they wouldn't have been a sneeze out of 2nd place without their color guard and visual performance, as well as an outstanding choreographer for the hornline.  They're completely rebuilding that part of the corps.

Well not completely rebuilding it.   The team that won them the Brazale caption award is still there.  In effect the staff that teaches and cleans the performance is still intact (which gives Crown honks hope that if the design guys get it right,  the corps will still march the design well).  IMO that part of the visual staff pushed Crown over the top.  Visually they had a great guard but could never march clean enough to get past 2nd.  When Ron Hardin's team came n,  they got over that hurdle.  IMO keeping them was critical to the continuity process, especially since those 80 hornline members are the largest group of performers on the field.

Sure it's an entirely different guard staff but the guard is a somewhat self-contained unit.  Crown's guard staff actually had a LOT of turnover since '09.   People sometimes mistakenly assume that the staff in '16 had been there a long time.  Actually most of those names were just recent age-outs (as they are at a lot of corps).  Talented -- but young.    Guard is important but it can't carry the whole corps.  Witness 2007 -- Crownguard in 2nd at finals,  drum corps in 6th (and that itself is a really unusual occurrence).  

But you're largely right and all the speculation is just hype at this point.  Guard staff is an entirely new team and so it's a complete unknown.  Design staff is only half a new team; the music guys are still there and they *do* have something to do with the design :ninja: .   Visual is nothing without a great soundtrack to write against.   

All in all great names but no track record yet with this corps yet.  No doubt they will need to prove themselves.

Will they hit a home run right out of the gate?  We'll just have to wait and see.  

29 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

I did like their show in 2016. Their 2015  Mandatrins production was very underrated in my opinion. I LOVED that show from them, especially the percussion parts.

I think them bringing in Ike Jackson will make a world of difference.  (well gotta give credit to gbass for reminding me that he is behind Ayala's indoor percussion genius).  

• Like 2

On 5/6/2017 at 8:22 PM, kbbandman said:

Yes, they have been my favorites since I first saw them live in 1975.  My wife and I took a friend (who hadn't been around corps since the late 70's) to that rehearsal at David Douglas HS. Brandt Crocker doing the intro live was a nice touch. Do you happen to know the youtube address for the video from that rehearsal? I looked for it unsuccessfully a couple of weeks ago.

No I don't and I didn't even know there WAS one.  If you find out, let me know.  This year it's BD rehearsal or bust!  ;)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hook'emCavies said:

Madison will be back in finals.

Then who falls out of Finals in your prediction ? Boston ? Academy ?  Crossmen ? or some other Corps ?

Edited by BRASSO

3 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Then who falls out of Finals in your prediction ? Boston ? Academy ?  Crossmen ? or some other Corps ?

This is highly unlikely and I do not mean to offend the corps or their fans... but I am picking the Blue Stars. I think they have good moments in their shows and I remember back in 08 when they made it back into finals. But I have to admit.... I do not remember a lot about their shows. I guess I am not big on thr designs of their shows??? Not sure... I guess the logical approach would be picking either Boston or The Academy, but I would enjoy seeing these corps in finals a bit more. 

But to be fair...... I want a lot of corps to be in finals.

Either way, should be a great season!

I have Blue Devils winning too

• Like 1