2017 PREDICTIONS!

On 5/16/2017 at 9:47 AM, George Dixon said:

the final push with the all white and the organ sound really pushed the GE high enough to win - the 2 uniforms made the program obvious from the get-go

and while I'm not particularly religious it also struck a chord with many at the end when the "demons" kneel and the angels pointed skyward - I saw many teary eyed folks around me those last couple shows

finals night the massive standing O was resounding - lasted the full final minute of the program - from the company front stop all the way thru the closing chord. Wow!

Having only recently rediscovered drum corps, from the videos I've seen of the finals show, it is the one show that I wish I could have seen live in Indy.  I've never seen an audience reaction like that and I was greatly moved by their reaction.  I'm guessing it was a great drum corps moment.

• Like 1

Can someone explain to me why no one is ever worried about Crossmen not making finals? NO HATE TOWARDS X-MEN AT ALL. I have massive respect for them.
In my opinion their show designs/concepts are far too vague and the music is not typically very engaging from an audience perspective. The talent of their members is undeniable, but I have never been particularly "wowed" by any moment in their shows. What makes this corps consistently finals worthy and why do people always be on them being in the top 12?

11 minutes ago, gentle123 said:

Can someone explain to me why no one is ever worried about Crossmen not making finals? NO HATE TOWARDS X-MEN AT ALL. I have massive respect for them.
In my opinion their show designs/concepts are far too vague and the music is not typically very engaging from an audience perspective. The talent of their members is undeniable, but I have never been particularly "wowed" by any moment in their shows. What makes this corps consistently finals worthy and why do people always be on them being in the top 12?

There has been other corps over the years who have placed very high, but were far from fan favorites.  They executed very well and the judges liked what they performed.

3 minutes ago, Ghost said:

There has been other corps over the years who have placed very high, but were far from fan favorites.  They executed very well and the judges liked what they performed.

True but I'm not sure I'd say Crossmen were far from favorites.  Their show seemed well-received.

16 minutes ago, imcbdit said:

True but I'm not sure I'd say Crossmen were far from favorites.  Their show seemed well-received.

Crossmen have been in and out of Finals over the last 15 years. The years they made Finals they were considered a bit better than a couple of corps around them, and the years they did not make Finals, in those years the judges determined they were a bit less stellar than the Corps around them. Crossmen have made Finals 5 out of the last 6 years. Thats a reason that many posters ( but not all ) think they'll be in Finals again this season. In any event, whether their shows were well received or not, had no bearing at all on any of those placements. ( audiences are a non factor on the judging sheets for ALL  these Corps ) I've enjoyed most of the Crossmen's shows over the years, and hope to enjoy this season's Crossmen show as well.

Edited by BRASSO

3 hours ago, gentle123 said:

My take on this:

1. The corps has been growing in talent and retention - they have more vets back each of the last few years (brass program particularly)

2. Winter tryout "experience camp" is just getting insane the past coupld winters with 800-1200 kids showing up to audition - each season fewer spots and more quality of candidates

3. Staff is growing with the corps - brass, visual, percussion programs very solid and balanced and "maturing" each year

4. The big thing - last season particularly. the corps maxed out the show a month before finals (in most aspects) - this year they can (and I would expect WILL) write a much more complex and challenge program

5. Resources and  foundation - a growing group of volunteers and strenthening resources supporting the staff and members

It's frankly a corps on the rise. Reminds me a little of Crown when they started to really "move" upward in the years leading up to 2009, 2004-2006 and then in 2007 BAM! Crossmen remind me of 2003-2005 Crown. 

All JMO

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

My take on this:

1. The corps has been growing in talent and retention - they have more vets back each of the last few years (brass program particularly)

2. Winter tryout "experience camp" is just getting insane the past coupld winters with 800-1200 kids showing up to audition - each season fewer spots and more quality of candidates

3. Staff is growing with the corps - brass, visual, percussion programs very solid and balanced and "maturing" each year

4. The big thing - last season particularly. the corps maxed out the show a month before finals (in most aspects) - this year they can (and I would expect WILL) write a much more complex and challenge program

5. Resources and  foundation - a growing group of volunteers and strenthening resources supporting the staff and members

It's frankly a corps on the rise. Reminds me a little of Crown when they started to really "move" upward in the years leading up to 2009, 2004-2006 and then in 2007 BAM! Crossmen remind me of 2003-2005 Crown. 

All JMO

Caption heads are all Carolina Crown alums as is a large percentage of the rest of the staff.    Seems like there might be a good reason you are reminded of Crown.  They were very strong last season from a training and performance standard. 

4 hours ago, gentle123 said:

Last year's show was a big hit, imho.  Very creative and grooved.

2 hours ago, imcbdit said:

Prediction with groups.  

1. Carolina Crown
  2. Blue Devils 

Yeah, the prevailing thinking here on DCP is that Carolina Crown has replaced their departed staff with at least as equal, if not better, staff than they have had there at Crown .As such, quite a few posters have predicted Crown either moving up from third, or even winning it all again this season. I'm a little less sure of this, but then again, I'm not as close to CC as these others are on here who are assessing how good they are sounding and looking at their camps.

Edited by BRASSO