2017 PREDICTIONS!

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

I don't consider Coats "one hit wonders" either. Felt they should have been second in 2015 in addition to winning last year

I guess it comes down to math - how many corps can we fit into the top 3? No one said there would be math! 

:) 

We could fit at least 5 into the top 3.  Ties at third! haha.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Hook'emCavies said:

I am sure if this has been discussed to depth, but what do y'all think cadets are going to place? I have a feeling cavies and cadets will be duking it out all season. 

It's a total crap shoot.  So many corps at the top with changes during the off season.  Cavies have been more stable, so I give them the edge until the first show.  Then we'll see how things really are at that point in the season.

i predict this is going to be the most volatile season on social media (including here) since maybe 2007

so much angst with a new winner in 2016 and all of the staff moves among powerhouse corps

i don't envy mods on here, lol

• Like 4

7 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

It's a total crap shoot.  So many corps at the top with changes during the off season.  Cavies have been more stable, so I give them the edge until the first show.  Then we'll see how things really are at that point in the season.

My feeling (knowing nothing about anyone's show) is last year's top 3 will come out the strongest but by early-mid season, we'll see anywhere from 4-6 top groups being shuffled around in rankings. In the end, at least one possibly 2 from last year's top 3 are replaced.y gut says Crown or Bloo or both. Great talent as always but design miss aka Cadets 2015.

Boston only corps that really jumps into a new grouping from last year. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lance said:

i predict this is going to be the most volatile season on social media (including here) since maybe 2007

so much angst with a new winner in 2016 and all of the staff moves among powerhouse corps

i don't envy mods on here, lol

how was 07 a crap show on social media? I wasn't into drum corps back then.

1 hour ago, sagemode67 said:

it actually wasn't that bad. a lot of bickering about home cooking with finals and the incessant narration in the cadets show, which was pretty new at the time.

it's been a pretty good decade overall, really. 

i was just trying to think of the last time it's even been close. phantom's win with spartacus wasn't so bad, so that's why i went back to 07. 

i'm hoping my prediction is wrong for this year, but i can't imagine there not being gloating with whoever comes out victorious in staff wars. 

1 hour ago, sagemode67 said:

What gets me is how a posted comment is twisted/spun/misunderstood to become something that wasn't said.  He said "most volatile season on social media since 07".  You said "how was 07 a crap show on social media".  Not what was said.  The volatility could be explained more as there is little context to the statement.  But I still think I got the sense of the comment.  with all the transformations that have gone on here over the off season and the "cone of silence" program blackout of sorts, there is an anticipation of a lot of passionate social media discussions on all the shows we are only now learning something about.  An example is the wonderings or comparison to an unheard Boston music rep to Phantoms previous program music.

On 5/19/2017 at 4:36 AM, Tobias said:

My feeling (knowing nothing about anyone's show) is last year's top 3 will come out the strongest but by early-mid season, we'll see anywhere from 4-6 top groups being shuffled around in rankings. In the end, at least one possibly 2 from last year's top 3 are replaced.y gut says Crown or Bloo or both. Great talent as always but design miss aka Cadets 2015.

Boston only corps that really jumps into a new grouping from last year. 

That's the thing that gets me.  Most of the time the rankings from the previous finals are what is used at the beginning of the season, and then the adjustments in rankings are made during the season.  I don't believe that it's mostly the case that corps should be ranked exactly the same as their finals placement from the previous year at the beginning of the next year.  We should see a little more variety in placement compared to the previous year..

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1

On 5/18/2017 at 2:32 PM, BRASSO said:

Crossmen have been in and out of Finals over the last 15 years. The years they made Finals they were considered a bit better than a couple of corps around them, and the years they did not make Finals, in those years the judges determined they were a bit less stellar than the Corps around them. Crossmen have made Finals 5 out of the last 6 years. Thats a reason that many posters ( but not all ) think they'll be in Finals again this season. In any event, whether their shows were well received or not, had no bearing at all on any of those placements. ( audiences are a non factor on the judging sheets for ALL  these Corps ) I've enjoyed most of the Crossmen's shows over the years, and hope to enjoy this season's Crossmen show as well.

4 out of the last 6: 2012, 2014, 2015 and 2016.  Not 2011 nor 2013.  They have been steadily improving execution and ranking (in various captions) since 2014.