2017 PREDICTIONS!

40 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

It may well be you were in the minority with your awareness of the dirt in the Bluecoats show prior to Indy.  Maybe others saw it but were less vocal for whatever reason and were caught up in the uniqueness of the program and didn't "see" the dirt.  I do totally agree with you about sacrificing cleanliness for effect.  Part of what draws me to D&B is the precision of it.  But through the years there has been a clear drop off of the precision aspects.  Relative to the afterglow, I meant that as the "glow" of the show diminishes over time in the weeks and months following finals.  The dirt finally gets seen.

Well said, imo

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

I think the - they weren't clean - thing is mostly sour grapes against the champions you see almost every year. You would be led to believe they won because they wore spandex and went down slides. When in reality it was so much more. They integrated electronics and amplification in a way never before done. No one has come close to what they accomplished with that. But they were dirty. Yeah. 

True, and honestly we get the exact opposite explanation when, BD for example, wins.  Stuff like, "clean wins", "They were so much cleaner than everyone else, that's why the spread in caption x was relatively large"

2 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Exactly. I didn't see any hate on this thread for the Bluecoats. Personally, I loved their 2017 creative show, despite the visible dirt. Most fans did too... judges in all 3 panels did as well.

Well, I like the 2:45 of the show I have seen so far ...

• Like 1

On 5/24/2017 at 4:20 PM, jjeffeory said:

True, and honestly we get the exact opposite explanation when, BD for example, wins.  Stuff like, "clean wins", "They were so much cleaner than everyone else, that's why the spread in caption x was relatively large"

I think clean, along with demand can get tossed around a bit, and at times lose their meaning. In 2012, folks who favored Blue Devils claimed "Cabaret Voltaire" was clean and Crown and "For the Common Good" was a hot mess and folks who favored Crown pointed out all kinds of sloppy errors in BD's show, real and imagined. Saw Crown about eight times that year, Blue Devils about five, and while I had hoped Crown would win that year, Blue Devils were clean, and for Crown, percussion and some visual captions were the culprits. 

Now back in the day when clean could make or break a show, Bridgemen were often accused of not being clean. Watch the Legacy DVD's and they were pretty clean. So not clean probably meant not liking their long yellow coats, less than traditional (for the time) guard, and the Bridgemen shuffle.

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Eleran said:

Bluecoats didn't deserve the win

hmmm... I thought they deserved it by a wide gap and then BD in second by a wide gap - those two really pulled away the last 10 days of the season IMO

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Eleran said:

Bluecoats didn't deserve the win

The unpopular opinion thread is somewhere else... :innocent:

• Like 6

Future discussion on DCP prediction:  Cadets brass really kick azz.  Too bad you can't hear them over 8 minutes of singing. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Future discussion on DCP prediction:  Cadets brass really kick azz.  Too bad you can't hear them over 8 minutes of singing. 

But you never know. In today's day and age there may be some newcomers that'll watch and say.. " I loved the choir's singing, and their voices were wonderful, but it kept being overshadowed at times by that loud brass ensemble playing in the background "..... ( haha)

• Like 1