Caption Awards

Caption Awards  

99 members have voted

1. 1. How do you prefer the caption awards are determined?

• By averaging the caption scores of each night of quarterfinals, semi finals, finals. This is what we currently have.
    • By using scores from Saturday night finals only ? whoever wins the caption on finals wins the caption award.

Caption awards bring relevance to combined prelims, semis, and finals.

And judging will never be equal. It's more fair to the corps to have 3 reads to determine the caption winners. You've got to bring it to all 3 shows to give yourself a shot at it.

not saying I agree or disagree but want to pose a question.

You ok with average total of corps to find the champion?

Would it tell the story of a true champion at that moment in time OR just a corps by the end fell short.

I guess there can be 2 sides of this with compelling arguments

not saying I agree or disagree but want to pose a question.

You ok with average total of corps to find the champion?

Would it tell the story of a true champion at that moment in time OR just a corps by the end fell short.

I guess there can be 2 sides of this with compelling arguments

jumping in -- sorry drumcorpsfever

there are definitely two sides. personally i think the current system splits the difference. probably the best solution.

They did average QF and SF scores in 1990 and 1991 to arrive at the Saturday night seeding. (Turns out it was really pointless.) If Finals scores were averaged in like captions, Star won 1993; BD won 2008.

I don't really care however, I don't like them being announced throughout the scores announcement. This is certainly one area where going back to the 70's (announcing caption awards AFTER all the scores) would seem to be the way to go! However, since the score and placement they receive Saturday are based on Saturdays scores, I would prefer we limit the caption award winners to Saturday night. As a member, I could give a rats if I won Brass, Visual, and Guard, but came in friggin 3rd.

I feel badly for Crown because of how it appeared to be going!

I, for the life of me, can't figure out why this is being discussed at all. Caption wins at finals this year (apart from GE, which has been a relative lock for the champs all year) have been as inconsequential to the outcome as they can be...

I could understand if the winner outperformed the captions of the caption winners on finals night... but no one seems to be contesting Crown's, SCV's and Bluecoats' wins in these departments...

So what's the fuss?

Averaging is stupid

I personally like the middle ground: doing weighted averages where finals night is weighted the most and prelims the least

• Like 1

It seems to me like using only finals is as fair and authentic as naming the champion... so I'm a 'no' for the averaging.

I'm just astonished at why anybody gives a hoot about it this year... devoid of controversy.