Staff merri-go-round

Just a thought.... Has anyone thought that all the rumors were started by the staff?? Maybe they finally banded together and gave George a choice " Let us do our jobs and stop thinking you are a show designer or we all walk". :confused:

If you made your career designing award winning music shows, my guess is you probably aren't going to be happy with someone walking in and telling you what to do at every turn. Especially someone who hasn't designed shows for a living. And especially after having the worst season points-wise in decades.

There is a way of working with creatives that you either accept or you buck. The more talented and experienced you are, the less you are willing to be ordered around. That's not a drum corps thing, it's a creative thing. Certainly true in my industry (advertising).

If the board and alums are willing to let George choose whatever role he wants to have, then it is what it is. I would only suggest that elite, experienced creatives are not signing up for that culture no matter where it is, regardless of the industry.

• Like 2

For the most part all that "someone" would have to do is go to the beginning of any corps 2016 thread and compare the hype with the final results.

Of course. But what is exactly the benefit of going onto any Corps thread for that ? For example, what college football message board do you know of, Ghost, where they're is not a lot of hype in the offseason by the staff and the fans and the players for their home team on their teams thread message board ? Just name 2 or 3, if you follow college football in the least. Can you name ANY ? If not, then why ask any of us to do an exercise when the end result of it, is a pretty good foregone conclusion ? ALL college football teams message boards are places of much hype in preseason filled with hope and optimism seen there ( duh )... the final results naturally show that some teams final results will match the hype, exceed the hype, or not reach the hype ( duh ). But few fans there are interested in looking back in time. They look forward in time. But if people are interested in looking back in time, then by all means, they can go back in time.

Edited by BRASSO

I'm not sure that's the right way to interpret a post called "merry-go-round". Most years, staff leave Corps A and go to Corps B. And the staff formerly at Corps B wind up somewhere else, maybe not with exactly the same responsibilities. It's pretty natural that fans of A and B are going to want to talk about those changes, and I'd expect that most of staff are pros and can deal with that. So far this thread has stayed pretty clean on personal attacks on individuals - the closest has been the commentary on the Troopers' brass instructor IMO.

The comments on Cadets seem pretty well within bounds of reasonable criticism. Saying that YEA has lots of turnover, and low employee satisfaction, and problems retaining key staff (big understatement, if rumors are true) is not a personal attack on George Hopkins. The CEO of any organization is accountable for the decisions and results of the organization, and those seem like fair criticisms of his org.

The issue is most of us (alumni) have been frustrated with the exodus of top people (staff, volunteers) because of one man who perhaps was effective for many years but now is damaging the corps. The remainder of top staff have resigned leaving none of the talent that kept Cadets towards the top. The number of talented staff waiting around to be hired is very limited and wanting to work with him narrows that to (noone) so not sure how Cadets rebound without him stepping down. Staff leave Cadets because of GH, not because they don't want to teach Cadets. I see a situation very similar to Cavies post Gaines occuring for a few years. Edited by Tobias

Someone should keep track of all the rumors and the source so that we can hold people accountable and also cause it would be funny to see who's way off. A list is also nice to look at.

Just read for a while - some people on DCP are very plugged in, either to specific corps or to staff at bunch of places. On a thread like this one, pay attention to what those folks have to say for a good guess at what's happening. Many other posters, including myself, are just voicing thoughts/hopes/opinions but don't have insiders telling them what's going on.

For example, what college football message board do you know of, Ghost, where they're is not a lot of hype in the offseason by the staff and the fans and the players for their home team ? Just name 2 or 3, if you follow college football in the least. Can you name any ?

I watch college football , but have never been on any school web sites never mind a message board for a particular sport. Obviously they must have them to create excitement and sell tickets. When replying to Narrow's post #481, that was the best thought for that time of day.

:peek:

:withstupid:

This thread is great but the Reviews on glass door. :wow: The bold bits caught my eye.

"The CEO has had the same job since 1982 and lacks an advanced degree. Serious lack of real-world, diversified-leadership-experience. If that isn’t telling, please read on. The crown jewel of the organization is The Cadets, but they go underwater, every year, by hundreds of thousands of dollars. So, you ALL work weekends and nights, slinging bags of candy at band shows. BAND SHOWS! You might sleep overnight, on a bus, to be ready at 5:30AM the following Sunday. Are you a business professional with 15 years’ experience raising millions of dollars for other worthy organizations?…too bad…you’re selling candy to band moms. I could go on, and on, and on. I think you get the idea…"

Edited by E3D

:peek:

:withstupid:

This thread is great but the Reviews on glass door. :wow: The bold bits caught my eye.

"The CEO has had the same job since 1982 and lacks an advanced degree. Serious lack of real-world, diversified-leadership-experience. If that isn’t telling, please read on. The crown jewel of the organization is The Cadets, but they go underwater, every year, by hundreds of thousands of dollars. So, you ALL work weekends and nights, slinging bags of candy at band shows. BAND SHOWS! You might sleep overnight, on a bus, to be ready at 5:30AM the following Sunday. Are you a business professional with 15 years’ experience raising millions of dollars for other worthy organizations?…too bad…you’re selling candy to band moms. I could go on, and on, and on. I think you get the idea…"

The Cadets do indeed require a large subsidy from the rest of YEA. It's right there in their 990s. I don't think it's much different anywhere else.

If you're expecting your WC drum corps to be a money maker, you're doing it wrong. The Bill Cook post upthread explains very well that you need other lines of business that can provide the funds required. For some corps, it's bingo. For YEA, it's US Bands.

• Like 2