Staff merri-go-round

The one thing I really learned from Lee and the staff was knowing when to flip the switch. When it was time to work and when it was time to play. They would push us hard with the drums on but be the greatest guys with the drums off.

I remember hearing stories about Lee striking fear into the lines he worked with and being very tough and intimidating.

Fair enough. He's definitely a top-6 type of writer, though I don't believe he's ever had a line win the Sanford. I could be mistaken.

No, but he has a ring with Regiment in 1996. And he helped put Glassmen on the map from 97-00 (ironically, to be replaced by McNutt).

Just a bit of historical perspective on the GH controversy being debated and dissected.

G has been Director of the Corp since I believe 1983 and on staff since '78(?) He was chosen by the prior Director with input from earlier Alumni Directors. Given his background he was the best choice at the time. G has produced outstanding results(in terms of Championships) for the vast majority of his tenure, however his single-mindedness on assuming complete control of the organization has been long known by the older Alumni and perhaps even encouraged a bit from the outset.

The complaint of "Its My Way or the Highway" type of management is not something entirely new within the Cadet Organization, even from its earliest days. It seems with the Cadets anyway, that those Directors that held that absolute Vision AND THE POWER to see that vision thru have been the most successful Directors The Cadets have had. Mr Huber and Mr Kemmerer held the Directors Title for 24 years(1940-1964) and in that time amassed 10 National Titles and both those men were in complete control of the direction of the organization. Even though G never bought into the Traditions of the Corp, he would have been an idiot not to see the results of his prior Alumni. All of the other Directors combined have 0 Titles, although they're skill sets were put to the test in reinventing the organization and keeping it on the field and competing. They were the ones navigating the start & later the big changes in the activity during the 60-70's, and don't overlook the fact that G inherited a Corp that had already been transformed and was climbing to the top and Yes, he did have a good deal to do with that and that's why he was the best choice............He had a vision and therefore was given the power to see it through. He just took it to levels that we could not have imagined.

The question of his management style today really isn't much different than that of some successful entrepreneurs who reach a high level of accomplishment and when conditions in the labor market change they are unable to change they're management style to meet the demands of the age. We've all seen this dance happen at whatever industry we labored through life. G is now simply forcing his vision on a staff that no longer buys into his style. He now has only two choices. He can find that new staff that he can again force his visions upon or he will have to re-invent HIMSELF before he self-destructs. Someone here mentioned earlier about a Sports Staff analogy and I agree............this could very well be the start of a replay of the Bo Pelini meltdown @ Nebraska.

Those of us still alive and watching this drama unfold(live on social media!) have been awaiting this moment for some time and are simply sitting back and waiting to see which path he takes. Our only fear is that should he continue down his current path, he attempts to take down the organization with him, but we doubt G is a Psychopath. Unfortunately, his morale character appears to be not what one could compare favorably to a Mr. Huber or Mr. Kemmerer. Both of those men operated within the strict confines of the Church and earned your respect, never demanded it and that's what we believe has changed in him. Therein lies the failure of his leadership.......#### that ego. Can he re-invent himself? Well, still being old school, we PRAY that he does.

Lastly G craves success like a heroin addict. To him however, success is not necessarily winning those Titles, but attracting hundreds of young men & women to enroll in his programs every year, rewarding him with their attention and attendance. We don't see him relinquishing that fix.

Godspeed G. you were entrusted with something far greater than yourself and in 2007 you were even proclaimed a Cadet, now it's up to you to live up to seeing that "For Holy Name Shall Always Be......" doesn't stop on your watch.

It's been awhile since I read Dante's Inferno, but I recall something about a special place in Hell for.............

Spot on!

& had today's social media been available in the 80's, the behind the scenes shenanigans would have put his career to an end years ago.

Edited by 2oldcadets

What is the possibility of trying to get the Rennicks and JD Shaw to Cadets if a new program coordinator is established? They were brought in by Fielder who is no longer at SCV. JD Shaw would also be able to teach if you could convince him.

Crazy how successful the Rennicks have been over the past decade or so

What is the possibility of trying to get the Rennicks and JD Shaw to Cadets if a new program coordinator is established? They were brought in by Fielder who is no longer at SCV. JD Shaw would also be able to teach if you could convince him.

Yep, and they are doing a fine job at SCV. Let 'em be.

Cadets need fresh program design/ coordination. Sure, you need talent to pull it off staff and member wise.

• Like 1

Why would they leave SCV in the first place. Based on the way it sounds George treats staff, I highly doubt it.

Also, it is true that they were brought in during Jeff's tenure with SCV, but that's because they were great designers and SCV was looking for change, it was not to follow Jeff to Santa Clara.

No, but he has a ring with Regiment in 1996. And he helped put Glassmen on the map from 97-00 (ironically, to be replaced by McNutt).

Sure, but that was 20 years ago. Don't get me wrong, Lee has a great resume and reputation in the activity. So it's not as though he would be a bad hire by any means. Just saying that Cadets might be better off turning to a younger, up and coming writer/caption head that can bring a fresh perspective to the corps. Perhaps even a protege of Rennick or McNutt.

The way things are, now; I don't think George would go after the staff from those corps that placed above the Cadets or have been in their tier of competition. He's no longer a threat to them. However, some of those corps in the bottom of the top 12 with up and coming design teams, caption heads, etc...yeah, I'd be concerned. Unfortunately, I don't think any of those directors would take a chance on telling ol' George "No way! Back off!"

Edited by corps8294

Spot on!

& had today's social media been available in the 80's, the behind the scenes shenanigans would have put his career years ago.

Fortunately, there were no cameras behind the scenes this year...oh...wait...