Staff merri-go-round

Good observation! I don't mean to imply Cadets should have been awarded a First Place score. It all ended about right, numbers-wise. But, as to one critical objective, make your last performance your best performance. . . . they did win!

Thanks for helping me clarify.

Oh i knew exactly what you meant and you were quite right.

Quite honestly I would like to hear it. I am a guard person who has been around a VERY long time and has a pretty great resume with some really big name programs that I am still involved with (not tooting my own horn just trying to explain my experience and knowledge) and I disagree with you on the Cadet guard. I'm interested in where your opinions are coming from. I sat through all three days of every show there and can tell you that in no way shape or form was the Cadet guard valued correctly. Quite honestly neither was the corp (example: no way the Cavie brass is better than Cadet brass). The problem was that the Cadets got caught in the slotting game and once there show was not scoring well by the judging community that was that (not saying the show was great). Now I'm not saying they were a medalist but I am saying that they were DEFINITELY better than the Cavaliers and quite frankly should have been way closer to SCV. But the judges were not going to let that happen. Look at the scores over the last week leading into DCI. All over the place. And please do not say "different panel". There is clear cut criteria to judge by. Yes they may see some things a little differently and yes the corps may perform differently each time but not as ridiculous as the scores showed over just the DCI weekend alone. The Cadets scores were so underrated it's ridiculous. So I am curious as to your thoughts on the Cadet guard since we obviously do not agree.

WE can do a PM if you like..Send me a message I will respond. I wont be for a few hours but I will asap. I would love to hear your opinions also. You have some valid points as far as the corps BUT I think when you compare apples to apples for guard which is what comparisons are about. Looking forward to chatting with u.

Quite honestly I would like to hear it. I am a guard person who has been around a VERY long time and has a pretty great resume with some really big name programs that I am still involved with (not tooting my own horn just trying to explain my experience and knowledge) and I disagree with you on the Cadet guard. I'm interested in where your opinions are coming from. I sat through all three days of every show there and can tell you that in no way shape or form was the Cadet guard valued correctly. Quite honestly neither was the corp (example: no way the Cavie brass is better than Cadet brass). The problem was that the Cadets got caught in the slotting game and once there show was not scoring well by the judging community that was that (not saying the show was great). Now I'm not saying they were a medalist but I am saying that they were DEFINITELY better than the Cavaliers and quite frankly should have been way closer to SCV. But the judges were not going to let that happen. Look at the scores over the last week leading into DCI. All over the place. And please do not say "different panel". There is clear cut criteria to judge by. Yes they may see some things a little differently and yes the corps may perform differently each time but not as ridiculous as the scores showed over just the DCI weekend alone. The Cadets scores were so underrated it's ridiculous. So I am curious as to your thoughts on the Cadet guard since we obviously do not agree.

OK, here is a challenge. What GE score should Cadets have received each night? And then for each of the other 7 captions or sub-captions, what scores should they have received? And how could you evaluate the Brass for the stands? The Brass judge gets to be on the field. Would any of you scores be below what they actually received or would all of them been higher? Let's get real. The only objective evaluations we have to go on are the subjective views of 33 folks who actually get paid to do this. Maybe they were wrong, but I'd guess at most on the margins.

• Like 1

Brasso is going to be taken out back to meet the hickory switch if his wife ever reads these boards!

No arguing this ( lol!)

(example: no way the Cavie brass is better than Cadet brass).

Um...Were you actually on-the-field in front of the brass adjudicating them?....Well then IMO you can't make this assessment...and I'm not saying one way or the other here...perhaps you are right...just saying that you were not in a position to evaluate it...

Wow this thread is discouraging. This is my first DCP post but I feel it necessary to post.

Background/knowledge: My kid was a rookie at cadets this year. That same kid didn't want to come home this year because they loved their experience with the cadets this summer.

That same kid had marched other corps at which they had worse experiences.

That same kid never thought they would be a cadet but now knows they don't want to go anywhere else.

As a parent I also volunteered and toured over 20+ days doing various things for the corps. Also have volunteered at 2 other corps where I had children March. I saw and experienced many things with this corps and others.

Note, there are positives and negatives with all the corps. But also note cadets may seem more expensive but there are no hidden costs. It covers everything. Other corps get you by tacking on other fees.

In any event, I have much respect for the cadet organization, including but not limited to the staff (including hop), the administrative staff and especially the members.

This summer was not easy by all means for any of them but hey if things were easy it wouldn't be the same experience now would it? Nor would our kids learn to overcome the challenges presented.

Did they want to place higher, of course they did. Does that mean they failed? HELL NO. There were many good shows this year.

Does it mean the staff sucked or needs replaced? HELL NO.

Lastly, about the guard. Kristy is tough but the work these kids were doing appeared to be more complex and difficult than those guards who scored higher. What makes no sense to me is how when the show did finally stabilize that the achievement scores for the guard went down.

It also makes no sense to me how the corps final score went down at finals when it was clearly the best run they had of the season.

I watched top corps have collisions/falls/many drops in finals but their scores all went up.

The judging system makes no sense to me but I know how the experience was.

In summary, I don't know anything about changes to the staff or organization and clearly the judging system confused the hell out of me but I do know that no matter what happens there were many who actually did have a good experience and it's sad that most people only focus on the negative. This activity is clearly about perception and there are clearly politics involved but it seems to me that even if hop and team did exactly as everyone wished it wouldn't be good enough. They were doomed by many posts on dcp from the get go. I often wander how the negative affected their summer.

I can only hope that many of these rumors are squashed and things get more positive so that we can move on and prepare for a fabulous 2017.

No, the work the Cadets guard was doing was not any harder than those scoring above them. Many other corps have had their score go down at finals as well on Saturday as well as years before for other corps.

All is good. I really won't believe much until I read about it actually happening. I do believe GH needs some new creative blood pumped into the Cadets though. They have not been innovative for awhile while they do tend to attract talent- you just can't have talent carry the show if the design is not there to sell.

Wow this thread is discouraging. This is my first DCP post but I feel it necessary to post.

Background/knowledge: My kid was a rookie at cadets this year. That same kid didn't want to come home this year because they loved their experience with the cadets this summer.

That same kid had marched other corps at which they had worse experiences.

That same kid never thought they would be a cadet but now knows they don't want to go anywhere else.

As a parent I also volunteered and toured over 20+ days doing various things for the corps. Also have volunteered at 2 other corps where I had children March. I saw and experienced many things with this corps and others.

Note, there are positives and negatives with all the corps. But also note cadets may seem more expensive but there are no hidden costs. It covers everything. Other corps get you by tacking on other fees.

In any event, I have much respect for the cadet organization, including but not limited to the staff (including hop), the administrative staff and especially the members.

This summer was not easy by all means for any of them but hey if things were easy it wouldn't be the same experience now would it? Nor would our kids learn to overcome the challenges presented.

Did they want to place higher, of course they did. Does that mean they failed? HELL NO. There were many good shows this year.

Does it mean the staff sucked or needs replaced? HELL NO.

Lastly, about the guard. Kristy is tough but the work these kids were doing appeared to be more complex and difficult than those guards who scored higher. What makes no sense to me is how when the show did finally stabilize that the achievement scores for the guard went down.

It also makes no sense to me how the corps final score went down at finals when it was clearly the best run they had of the season.

I watched top corps have collisions/falls/many drops in finals but their scores all went up.

The judging system makes no sense to me but I know how the experience was.

In summary, I don't know anything about changes to the staff or organization and clearly the judging system confused the hell out of me but I do know that no matter what happens there were many who actually did have a good experience and it's sad that most people only focus on the negative. This activity is clearly about perception and there are clearly politics involved but it seems to me that even if hop and team did exactly as everyone wished it wouldn't be good enough. They were doomed by many posts on dcp from the get go. I often wander how the negative affected their summer.

I can only hope that many of these rumors are squashed and things get more positive so that we can move on and prepare for a fabulous 2017.

1 - I'm glad your kid had a fantastic summer, that's all that matters in the end.

2 - Noone here has accused them of failing, if so please point it out. Everyone is supportive of the kids and their level of performance.

3 - We must have seen different shows, because the Cadets guard was nowhere near the level of their brass or percussion in design or execution, especially in comparison to the other corps that placed higher. The design in particular left me scratching my head throughout the show as to why they were doing the things they were doing. These are not criticisms of the kids who are obviously all incredibly talented.

4 - People aren't only focusing on the negative, but a lot of bad things have reached boiling point for many fans, alumni, and supporters and it's clearly time for some major restructuring in the organization.

5 - DCP posts have no bearing on the activity or their placements. If that were the case every corps would win gold medal and simultaneously not make finals.

• Like 2