Staff merri-go-round

These moves to Boston are interesting. But are kids flocking to Boston? I am just asking. Are they doing another old school show like this one from 2016? Will the talented kids follow to the northeast? I am curious what folks think.

I'd imagine all the kids in Drum Corps are back at home getting clothes and other stuff they'll need for school. Much too early to tell who kids flock too, when the camps begin, but the team that Boston is putting together would seem to be an attractive one to both current marchers, and to potential prospective applicants. These are exciting times in Boston... Tanglewood, Boston Pops on a music resume... great progressive city... Mgt at the Boston Crusaders that is work supportive of its personnel. Where the mgt. is caring, intelligent..where teamwork is valued, and where the current morale is off the charts great right now, and with the Corps in their best financial shape, perhaps ever.

Edited by BRASSO

These moves to Boston are interesting. But are kids flocking to Boston? I am just asking. Are they doing another old school show like this one from 2016? Will the talented kids follow to the northeast? I am curious what folks think.

I was wondering the same thing. My guess is that BAC will have a lot more applicants this year, and have perhaps a more experienced pool to draw from.

These are good questions...here is some of the current chatter on other social media outlets...Kids & Adults after all talk on other media than just DCP...

Question - "I was looking forward to marching under Gino at the Cadets. Someone who knows more than me... would I be better off following my dream staff or dream corps?"

Answer - "Which do you like more? The Cadets hornline before Gino, or other hornlines Gino has taught?
If it's the first, go with the Cadets. If it's the second, go with Gino."
Answer - "audition for both and see what feels the best fit for you.
I can say neither is a bad option, but you need to make that choice for yourself."
Answer - "Next year is going to be a toss up for Cadets. I will tell you this personally, I marched BD with Gino teaching there.. and that was an amazing experience. Everywhere that Gino teaches does amazing things. I honestly would not be surprised if BAC makes the top 5 in brass next year.
An experience with a competitive corps can be great, and fun.. but an experience with an amazing staff is going to teach you more than you will get anywhere else.
Tough decision."
Edited by Liahona
  • Like 1

Flocking? It has only been 3 days since finals for cripe sake. I think kids are going back to school! Edited by LabMaster

Tough day for The Cadets, but sometimes these things need to happen.

Gino has been with them 17 years (2000). Colin for 10 years (2007). After a while a fresh start is needed. Haven't heard whether Bocook will return or not, but he might want to take a hiatus as well. I don't know. Ultimately though The Cadets will be fine. Hopkins may stir some controversy at times on this forum and within his own organization, but he's no dummy. On the contrary I believe him to be quite intelligent and I believe he will shake things up and do what is needed to restore a sense of Cadets pride to the corps.

I'm hearing he may have signed Lee Beddis (rumor or true, not sure?), and I'm sure he will find a top-quality brass caption head to join the ranks. I'm fairly certain he will ask Marc Sylvester to coordinate the design staff and act as program coordinator this coming season. Things will be fine for the Cadets. You watch, everyone is going to count them out and I wouldn't be surprised if they came out with a top 3 caliber show that features them back in their Maroon, Gold, and Cream.

Colin and Gino have much to be proud of. They helped to create some amazing music ensembles over the years with Cadets. But perhaps change is good for them and for the Cadets at this point.

I truly hope you're right, but I'm finding optimism hard to come by at the moment.

I have no vested interest in the Cadets outside of them being the corps that drew me into DCI twenty years ago. I never marched with them (or any other corps), but they were instantly "my team". I'm sincerely saddened by the news of Gino and Colin leaving because I think their departure speaks to a larger issue that some seem content in just trusting to sort itself out as though it's 'business as usual'.

I see a pattern of truly great educators and staff members leaving the YEA umbrella for other corps. A turnover rate that is not reflected in any other DCI corps.

The optimistic sentiment is that somehow, they're going to bounce back with a top 3 show in 2017. .... Anything is possible, I guess.

But the staff hemorrhaging will not stop until a change is made at the top. And success in this activity is a product of stability and consistency.

I hope the powers that be in Allentown understand and recognize this.... I fear they don't, or worse.... don't care.

• Like 2

I was wondering the same thing. My guess is that BAC will have a lot more applicants this year, and have perhaps a more experienced pool to draw from.

Maybe...and maybe some Cadet kids will look to other corps. Crown winning the Ott will make them a popular place to go again for all kids. And of course Coats after winning. Will be an interesting off season.