2017 Boston Crusaders

looking forward to what this new direction brings at BAC in 2017!!

Agreed and welcome!

I just now went back and researched this further.... the name of the Drum Corps was the Akroyd AL Post Drum & Bugle Corps, from Marlboro, Massachusetts. They flew from Boston to LA in 1938 where the American Legion Drum & Bugle Corps National Championships were being held. They WON it all, come to find out. National Champions. Flights from Boston to LA take approx. 6 hours today. I can't imagine what it took in 1938. That must have been a long and scaryazz flight in 1938 for these marchers, whom one would assume most had never flown before. But the return home flight for this Boston area Drum & Bugle Corps must have felt a WHOLE lot shorter and better ( haha!)

In 1934, the year before the introduction of the DC-3, a flight from New York to Los Angeles was a grueling ordeal, typically requiring 25 hours, more than one airline, at least two changes of planes and as many as 15 stops or so. with the DC-3 a single plane could cross the country, usually stopping only three times to refuel.

Its cruise speed was 207 mph and range 1,500 mi...it's about 2,268 miles from Boston to Los Angeles....so you can see the need for 3 stops...non-stop (which was not possible) at 207 mph would take more than 12 hours.

Before this thread derails over airplanes....I'll stop now...back to BAC...

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 2

I just now went back and researched this further.... the name of the Drum Corps was the Akroyd AL Post Drum & Bugle Corps, from Marlboro, Massachusetts. They flew from Boston to LA in 1938 where the American Legion Drum & Bugle Corps National Championships were being held. They WON it all, come to find out. National Champions. Flights from Boston to LA take approx. 6 hours today. I can't imagine what it took in 1938. That must have been a long and scaryazz flight in 1938 for these marchers, whom one would assume most had never flown before. But the return home flight for this Boston area Drum & Bugle Corps must have felt a WHOLE lot shorter and better for them all. ( haha!)

Nice brief side trip down memory lane for Corps, transportation modes, etc...... now Back to BAC................

Someone must have documented that! As you say it was a really big deal just to fly at all -- never mind fly across the country -- never mind fly for a drum corps contest! Brasso -- you need to do some more digging. What an amazing story. Time to drive to Marlboro and find that post!

• Like 1

I just now went back and researched this further.... the name of the Drum Corps was the Akroyd AL Post Drum & Bugle Corps, from Marlboro, Massachusetts. They flew from Boston to LA in 1938 where the American Legion Drum & Bugle Corps National Championships were being held. They WON it all, come to find out. National Champions. Flights from Boston to LA take approx. 6 hours today. I can't imagine what it took in 1938. That must have been a long and scaryazz flight in 1938 for these marchers, whom one would assume most had never flown before. But the return home flight for this Boston area Drum & Bugle Corps must have felt a WHOLE lot shorter and better for them all. ( haha!)

Nice brief side trip down memory lane for Corps, transportation modes, etc...... now Back to BAC................

You must of looked at my history post on FB. They won three times in the 1930.

As the author of the Competitive Inertia theory, I have to wonder how long it will take Boston to make top 3, then win. If Cavaliers resurgence is legit, Cadets score a qualified brass team, and the current top 4 keep their current situations intact, it could be awhile. And we still have some very qualified corps not yet mentioned!

Boston has taken the right steps. I hope they are all in for the long haul, cuz we fans stand to benefit the most!

• Like 4

Someone must have documented that! As you say it was a really big deal just to fly at all -- never mind fly across the country -- never mind fly for a drum corps contest! Brasso -- you need to do some more digging. What an amazing story. Time to drive to Marlboro and find that post!

When you drive by Immaculate Conception Church there in Marlboro, give a nod to their former corps The Dukes of Marlboro and their other group The Duchesses. If you ask for directions in Marlboro, be prepared to speak Brazilian Portuguese. Hopefully you watched the Olympics.

American Legion National Championships 1938 Los Angeles, California
Finals: 1st place - Herbert F. Akroyd #132 - Marlboro, MA 96.25
Now just need to find the commercial airline story...LOL
marlboro-drum-and-bugle-corp-april-2015-
Well I'm beginning to think this commercial airline story is a bunch of HOOEY....at least for 1938 anyway...just look at their schedule...looks like a typical road trip to me...lol
marlboro-drum-and-bugle-corp-april-2015-
Edited by Liahona

As the author of the Competitive Inertia theory, I have to wonder how long it will take Boston to make top 3, then win. If Cavaliers resurgence is legit, Cadets score a qualified brass team, and the current top 4 keep their current situations intact, it could be awhile. And we still have some very qualified corps not yet mentioned!

Boston has taken the right steps. I hope they are all in for the long haul, cuz we fans stand to benefit the most!

I don't think your competitive inertia theory will ever be debunked it seems...you have many in drum corps community believing that it is a truth...at least from people I've talked with anyway...

When you drive by Immaculate Conception Church there in Marlboro, give a nod to their former corps The Dukes of Marlboro and their other group The Duchesses. If you ask for directions in Marlboro, be prepared to speak Brazilian Portuguese. Hopefully you watched the Olympics.

Portuguese has been spoken in Massachusetts/New England for over three hundred years. I find your comment offensive. Can you please give it a rest? Surely there are other threads you can spam.

Edited by D-Cex

I don't think your competitive inertia theory will ever be debunked it seems...you have many in drum corps community believing that it is a truth...at least from people I've talked with anyway...

by definition it can't. he craftily mentioned that if a corps wins moving up from someplace other than 3rd, it simply amends the theory to take that into account.