2017 Boston Crusaders

Having judges evaluate from positions within the audience, instead of exclusively above/behind the audience.

I'm not too sure how well this would go over...in 2015 Allentown...late season...the crowd around me HUSHED the ME judge during Carolina Crown's performance...I was literally sitting next to him...the judge addressed the crowd after the performance explaining that he gets passionate just like everyone else...he toned down his excitement a bit for the rest of the night...but I can see where a lot of people don't want to hear a judge talking into his/her recorder...

Edited by Liahona

I'm not too sure how well this would go over...in 2015 Allentown...late season...the crowd around me HUSHED the ME judge during Carolina Crown's performance...I was literally sitting next to him...the judge addressed the crowd after the performance explaining that he gets passionate just like everyone else...he toned down his excitement a bit for the rest of the night...but I can see where a lot of people don't want to hear a judge talking into his/her recorder...

There are several options for dealing with that. Better mics so that the judge need not talk as loud. Mufflers to keep their voice from projecting all around them. Music judges might be better off writing/typing notes, instead of talking over what they are listening to. Rope off a few seats for the judge zone. Offer neighboring fans to be reseated if disturbed, like opting out of the airplane exit row seating. Or (sacrilege) just stay silent during the show, and make commentary after.

There are several options for dealing with that. Better mics so that the judge need not talk as loud. Mufflers to keep their voice from projecting all around them. Music judges might be better off writing/typing notes, instead of talking over what they are listening to. Rope off a few seats for the judge zone. Offer neighboring fans to be reseated if disturbed, like opting out of the airplane exit row seating. Or (sacrilege) just stay silent during the show, and make commentary after.

lulz

Are you a DCI judge? No? Then you have no "personal experience" scoring. All you would have is hearsay... not "evidence".

As an instructor, you have had access to commentary for your corps. But what does that prove? If anything, knowing from commentary that judges are hearing the problems while the scores stay in their slots every night... well, that only reinforces my point.

Since instructors actually talk to the judges, I think they'd be in a position to know. Because, you know, they'd actually talk to them.

In fact, if the spread in a caption is fairly consistent, then you have a night where the electronic balance is bad, then you hear the judge comment about it on the tape, and then the spread dramatically changes (or you suddenly flip positions with a competitor in that caption) , I think you have pretty solid evidence the balance mattered without even talking to a judge.

Your theory that only judges know whether balance affects a score is absurd.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

Since instructors actually talk to the judges, I think they'd be in a position to know. Because, you know, they'd actually talk to them.

In fact, if the spread in a caption is fairly consistent, then you have a night where the electronic balance is bad, then you hear the judge comment about it on the tape, and then the spread dramatically changes (or you suddenly flip positions with a competitor in that caption) , I think you have pretty solid evidence the balance mattered without even talking to a judge.

That pretty much sums up what I was going to say. it ain't brain surgery.

Show me examples of your solid evidence, then.

I was at a show next to MA judge. Couldn't believe how subjective the comments were. You played it well but I'm not so sure the chord needs to be extended that long.

To bring this back to BAC, the new staff's relationships and experience with the current judges will help tremendously. Familiarity and trust are huge in this activity. That's why there are examples of a 'mic problem' not necessarily affecting an outcome (which includes other variables, notably the rest of the perf and competitors' perfs).

• Like 1

To bring this back to BAC, the new staff's relationships and experience with the current judges will help tremendously. Familiarity and trust are huge in this activity. That's why there are examples of a 'mic problem' not necessarily affecting an outcome (which includes other variables, notably the rest of the perf and competitors' perfs).

This makes a tremendous amount of sense...