2017 Boston Crusaders

4 minutes ago, corpsband said:

It will be interesting to watch how things develop.    They certainly should be able to move up in 2016 based on design alone. Despite the BAC-homer-jihad here on DCP being in full denial,  there are some very high expectations from some staff who've moved over from other corps.  And certainly at least one segment of performers has heard very clearly some of those expectations while they were "encouraged" to sign on with a new corps.   Will those expectation be met? How will things play out?  Only time will tell.  

Seriously they can potentially be top 3-4 in guard but 7-9 in other areas. Very interesting indeed. Boston always had a great guard but competition wise we can see that leap. 

Edited by Tobias

12 minutes ago, Tobias said:

Seriously they can potentially be top 3-4 in guard but 7-9 in other areas. Very interesting indeed. 

Lol there's quite a debate going on about that very subject.  If you're 9th in GE can you really score top 3 in guard?  The guard caption itself is very odd in some respects.  MT was eventually able to write some absurdly difficult books at Crown (which often didn't receive the credit many felt they deserved).   Those books were written to challenge the performers and the staff every season.  OTOH there are many who claim (with some justification) that in DCI it's ENTIRELY about effect in that caption.  No one cares how difficult or challenging your book is so long as you spin it clean.  You're judged entirely on how effective the work is.  I'm not sure either side is entirely right.  Undoubtedly the truth lies somewhere in the middle.  

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, corpsband said:

Lol there's quite a debate going on about that very subject.  If you're 9th in GE can you really score top 3 in guard?  The guard caption itself is very odd in some respects.  MT was eventually able to write some absurdly difficult books at Crown (which often didn't receive the credit many felt they deserved).   Those books were written to challenge the performers and the staff every season.  OTOH there are many who claim (with some justification) that in DCI it's ENTIRELY about effect in that caption.  No one cares how difficult or challenging your book is so long as you spin it clean.  You're judged entirely on how effective the work is.  I'm not sure either side is entirely right.  Undoubtedly the truth lies somewhere in the middle.  

Not sure if someone has already mentioned this, but in 2014, the blue stars scored 9th in GE and got 4th in guard on finals night(only .1 behind third place).

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, brassdude6171 said:

Hearing an announcement is coming this weekend

Its not an announcement about the purchase of a food truck or such, I don't believe, but don't hold me too it.

Just now, Jaltrogge said:

Not sure if someone has already mentioned this, but in 2014, the blue stars scored 9th in GE and got 4th in guard on finals night(only .1 behind third place).

Go look at Crown 2007 :ninja:  Believe me  the guard caption scores have been analyzed by many many eyes in recent months.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, corpsband said:

It will be interesting to watch how things develop.    They certainly should be able to move up in 2016 based on design alone. Despite the BAC-homer-jihad here on DCP being in full denial,  there are some very high expectations from some staff who've moved over from other corps.  And certainly at least one segment of performers has heard very clearly some of those expectations while they were "encouraged" to sign on with a new corps.   Will those expectation be met? How will things play out?  Only time will tell.  

Absolutely, I think they'll be quite a bit better than last year, but I hope members don't get too disappointed if they don't move up into top 8 this year,

Also, I'm not sure how much the actual design of the show music ( as an example) will differ from previous years. I believe the visual side will change greatly, and the quality of the performance will also be higher, but they still have the same arranger for the brass as before. I think they'll still have their recent "brass sound" and "show flow" if you will.

,,,and this is a particularly strong year for tasty new music selections being performed by the other corps around them. I hope Boston comes up with something fresh and not over played. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Absolutely, I think they'll be quite a bit better than last year, but I hope members don't get too disappointed if they don't move up into top 8 this year,

Also, I'm not sure how much the actual design of the show music ( as an example) will differ from previous years. I believe the visual side will change greatly, and the quality of the performance will also be higher, but they still have the same arranger for the brass as before. I think they'll still have their recent "brass sound" and "show flow" if you will.

,,,and this is a particularly strong year for tasty new music selections being performed by the other corps around them. I hope Boston comes up with something fresh and not over played. 

All very good points.   And regardless of "future potential",  what's happenin' now always has an annoying way of coming to the forefront.   Anyway I have no idea how this is all going to play out.  How often has a drum corps suddenly put together such an "all star" staff?  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jjeffeory said:

I agree with you in that the Boston will undoubtedly be better this year than last.  However, I do believe there will be increased quality throughout all areas of the corps for a number of reasons: more experienced BAC veterans; new staff (designers and techs); increased staff's performance expectation for the members (this is a big one); the ability to draw out better MM performance by the staff.  I might not have articulated that very well, but there has been increased demand on each MM's playing capability and quality.  New practice techniques during the winter for each MM should result in significant improvement in program performance and individual performance..  Knowing what the winter was to be for MM's, I expect more demand from the music writing/design via the collaboration of this staff, which I hear has been tremendous.  No doubt there will be huge visual changes due to the quality of the designers of the drill and the guard and the improved tech's to support the design.

So I am with you regarding improvement, but I think the music design will be as significantly better as the visual.  8th is a good possibility and I will be cautiously optimistic as I hope for that and more.  Why not?  Although I risk sounding like a homer jihadist just saying that.  LOL   What is a homer jihadist anyway?  What a stupid thing to call BAC supporters on the Boston thread.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, brassdude6171 said:

Hearing an announcement is coming this weekend

TIC TIC | TOCK | TIC TIC TIC

2 hours ago, corpsband said:

We all must admit that Crown did not become Champions by 2013 overnight...it took YEARS of hard work and dedication to build that program...I'm not as concerned about placement for Boston (even though I wouldn't complain about a decent jump) as I'd like to see them get to box 1 on the sheets...placement is harder to access because corps around you from year to year can be weaker/stronger than your OWN corps improvement and performance levels...Boston has clearly wanted to move up since 2012 (give or take)...and after about 5 years it is poised to do so competitively AFTER becoming stronger financially off the field first...again these things from a competitive standpoint don't happen overnight...Will I be excited if they do phenomenal this coming season as well?....ABSOLUTELY!!!

• Like 4